Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Manfred gaining support for limits on defensive shifts

Thoughts here? I'm not in favor of completely banning the shifts, but putting some sort of limit on it, like mound visits, would keep things interesting.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred is no fan of defensive shifts, and now he might be able to do something about it. Baseball's competition committee last month gave Manfred strong backing to try to put something in place to limit shifts, the Athletic reported Wednesday.

Manfred made it clear five years ago, before he took over as commissioner, that he didn't like the shift, but he said he was willing to keep an eye on it to see if batters would adjust.

Baseball players are concerned the Mariners have become yet another rebuilding team and might be joined by others following a season of steep attendance drops among clubs that faded early and never contended for the playoffs.

Since then, shifts have increased, and batters have not adjusted. Last season, shifts were up 30 percent, and the leaguewide batting average of .248 was baseball's lowest since batters hit .244 in 1972.

Any rule change would have to be approved by the players' union.

"To this point, there truly hasn't been a definitive position taken on the 'shift/no shift' issue from among the player group,'' union head Tony Clark said Wednesday. "But players thus far have been willing to talk about it as part of a much broader conversation.''

The drop in statistics has been a concern for many players.

In addition to the drop in batting average, strikeouts topped hits for the first time last season.

According to the Athletic, there were fewer ground ball hits in 2018 (13,213) than there have been in any season since baseball expanded to 30 teams. The chances of a left-handed hitter reaching base on a pulled ground ball to the right side have dropped to their lowest rate in a decade-and-a-half. And there were fewer singles this year (26,322) than in any season in this millennium -- and nearly 3,000 fewer than just a decade ago.

"I think it's a layup to get [a rule change] approved by the players," one front-office executive told the Athletic.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...fensive-shifts

Solid article on fangraphs about this; banning the shift is idiotic...and pointless.

So...what constitutes a shift? Is it only when an IF moves to the other side of the bag? How about playing in on a bunt situation? Moving the OF to the right or left based on pull tendencies?

And to what end.

There is little reason to ban the shift beyond disliking general change in the game.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

Hit the ball where they aren't. There's more to hitting than trying to pull every pitch.

**** that, adjust or get replaced.

With the last two posters on this. No need to get rid of shifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Hit the ball where they aren't. There's more to hitting than trying to pull every pitch.
    Bingo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It’s an excuse to get more offense to gain higher viewership.

Give me the DH in both leagues before you think of banning the shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Purists will hate. Casual fans will love. Who's typically been winning these conflicts?

If we're going to try to boost offense by limiting defenses, let's really go for it. 1B and 3Bs have to stand directly behind their bases before the pitch is thrown, SS and 2Bs will have chalk boxes they have to stand in before the pitch, and we'll put 3 circles in the outfield that the fielders have to stand in.

While we're at it, if shifting the defense is unfair then having different park layouts is even worse, so we'll have to come up with new standardized dimensions for all parks. If you can't move a SS to the right side of the infield surely you can't have a 40 foot high left field wall in some parks and an 8 foot high wall in others.

but this would do the opposite of speeding the pace of play

i understand its hard for players to adjust hitting 99 inside and hitting it opposite field, but im not a fan of this. strategy is strategy

First Sim League Title!

I'm really torn on this one.

On one hand, yeah, **** that, hit em where they ain't.

On the other hand, this homerun or strikeout version of baseball is boring. And I worry about the health of the sport.

This is completely moronic. If you can't hit the other way, thats your fault. That's like saying a pitcher can't throw a curve ball because a batter can hit it. Fastballs only
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

I'd like to see fielders restricted to a certain range from their position. For example, SS stays on the left side of the field while a ball is pitched. Teams could still shift, but players could still be identified by their proximity to their position. You would not have the SS playing where the 2Bman stands traditionally.

Leave it alone.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    Solid article on fangraphs about this; banning the shift is idiotic...and pointless.

So...what constitutes a shift? Is it only when an IF moves to the other side of the bag? How about playing in on a bunt situation? Moving the OF to the right or left based on pull tendencies?

And to what end.

There is little reason to ban the shift beyond disliking general change in the game.
    There have been shifts throughout baseball. Double play depth is one, shading toward the line as a corner infielder, playing in the hole as a middle infielder, playing closer on a bunt attempt, etc. Nothing has been as major as what we've seen on some of the Joey Gallo shifts.

So I'm in favor of still allowing those smaller shifts at all times, but if they were to limit the major ones, where an infielder goes to the other side of the bag, I would be OK with that. I have to watch Chris Davis struggle with this all of the time. I want to say hit em where they ain't, and I get very frustrated that he can't simply choke up and put the ball the other way, but at the same time, I see the ridiculous shifts and know that's not the way baseball was intended to be played.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast