Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    34,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    If it works, I believe that's the case.
    I did not get a notification for this quote. A long time ago when I used to get notifications I did not need to subscribe to a thread. I just cleared my in box to see if that would help but still no notification
    Last edited by ewing; 12-05-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,725
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I did not get a notification for this quote. A long time ago when I used to get notifications I did not need to subscribe to a thread. I just cleared my in box to see if that would help but still no notification
    Are you talking PM or email notifications?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    34,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Are you talking PM or email notifications?
    Not email. I don't even know what email I have associated with my account so I guess you would call it a PM. Under notifications on the site in my PSD inbox I would received notification when someone quoted me. If you clicked on the notification it would take you to the spot on the thread where someone quoted you.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,725
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Not email. I don't even know what email I have associated with my account so I guess you would call it a PM. Under notifications on the site in my PSD inbox I would received notification when someone quoted me. If you clicked on the notification it would take you to the spot on the thread where someone quoted you.
    Ok, try this.

    Go to Settings (top right corner)(also referred to as User CP)

    Go to My Settings (mid left) and click General Settings

    Find quote notifications and see what it is set to.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    When this forum was dead back in 2004, we were able to build up by constantly creating threads. Even if no one responds, you post a thread on a newsworthy topic. You keep doing that. It takes time. But it gets more clicks, and it gets more people looking. Then, once you gain a few posters and have a bit of a team, the discussions and longer threads will come. I think that going back to what worked in the beginning could be a good idea. These threads that limit discussion within that one thread hurts overall activity. There isn't a reason to click into a forum if there are never any new threads, or even the slight chance of having something new to talk about.

    The Wrestling forum is a great example of this. Even though it's slowed down a bit, there is still a large pool of members that post in that forum, and guys like RedSox always do a great job making new threads. Sometimes only one or two people post in them but that's fine. But that forum is still rolling along pretty well.
    Yeah, there needs to be a clear direction into creating threads/content here. The problem is getting people that are truly committed to doing that kind of work at this point, especially to what is a struggling platforum in forums.

    I do think we need to overhaul the Team Manager role/position and expectations with it, so that's a start.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    74,880
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Yeah, there needs to be a clear direction into creating threads/content here. The problem is getting people that are truly committed to doing that kind of work at this point, especially to what is a struggling platforum in forums.

    I do think we need to overhaul the Team Manager role/position and expectations with it, so that's a start.
    I’ll volunteer. Knowing that is what’s wanted, not a problem. I’ll mainly be around NFL main and Eagles/Cubs.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    34,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Ok, try this.

    Go to Settings (top right corner)(also referred to as User CP)

    Go to My Settings (mid left) and click General Settings

    Find quote notifications and see what it is set to.
    It is currently set to private message. Btw im making a some threads in the NBA forum
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    34,289
    Btw i think Driven has a point. If want the site to be more active we should make more threads
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    41,385
    I also think Rivera has a good point with social media.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,725
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    It is currently set to private message. Btw im making a some threads in the NBA forum
    So it was set to private message to begin with? I'll have to continue digging.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    34,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    So it was set to private message to begin with? I'll have to continue digging.
    Yes, I've never changed it. Thanks
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    27,746
    What is the impact of adding metadata (tags) for search engine optimization when creating a thread?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    41,385
    And I know that I'm beating a dead horse with this, and I will til the day PSD dies, but the forum is too big. If lack of posts and threads are an issue, then why do we have 158 main forums? That doesn't include any sub forums. I know that each team gets their forum, and I'm not saying to get rid of that, but do we need four PSD HQ Forums? We have one for PSD Rules, which contains one thread - the rules. We have Technical Issues, Features Requests, and General Comments and Concerns. Why have people click into four forums when they can click into one? Not to mention that this is clogging up the top of the forum, which you would think should be the most clicked or imporant forums.

    The General Discussions area, which is a huge area that creates friendships and combines posters from all areas of the board is sunk to the bottom of the forum and is fairly inactive all things considered. Meanwhile, we have Entertainment (decent activity), Music (slow), Gaming (slow), Politics (active), Health and Fitness (dead), Food & Beverage (dead), and Off Topic (needed anymore?) down there. The Health forum's last post was made days ago and made by a spambot that was not deleted. Mods don't even go in some of these forums. These are all pretty much the same forum. Have one or two singular places where posters can meet and talk about a wide variety of topics will create more threads and activity. I just made a thread in Food & Beverage, like five people will see in there. But there's no reason it couldn't go in the GD forum, where there would be more eyes.

    You can have 10 posts spread out over 5 forums in a day. Or the same 10 posts in one forum. If it's the former, I'm probably not checking in on a forum just to read one post that I won't care about. If it's the latter, I'm clicking the forum and probably checking back a handful of times per day and probably going to make more of my own posts in that forum.

    Why not consolidate all of the HQ forums into one at the top of the page, and move GD, Politics, and one big forum for Entertainment, Music and Gaming towards the top of the page. If you don't want to encourage political talk, keep it at the bottom, although it's one of the most active forums. Each of the Other Sports forums is pretty much dead, too. Why do we need five of them? You could combine them for one General Sports forum and put it near the top of the page, and it could double as a seasonal/trending forum (the Olympics, a big Boxing Match, Daytona 500, etc.).

    Businesses that are struggling to make sales have to go outside of the box and they also have to consolidate. This is no different. I think we as a forum have a big enough of a member base and traffic to do what needs to be done to the forum. SDI, or whoever runs the rest of the site, can do their own thing. But we can get better discussions going here.

    In my opinion, "active" forums should have not have threads with their last posts over a month ago on their own front page. The goal should be to make as many of these "active" forums, to keep them active, and then to work on the rest of them. Perhaps prioritizing forums in terms of importance is a start.
    Last edited by Driven; 12-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    41,385
    Oh and one more thing about the Off-Topic forum... if we have that so people can post more inappropriate or stupid things, to create better discussions elsewhere, that's fine. But if we're also using it to control post padding, at this point, that's silly. It's not necessary anymore (does anyone care about post count here?), and it's also counterproductive since we are trying to create more posts.

    I think the Off-Topic forum can also be merged with GD. Creating more discussions.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    74,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Oh and one more thing about the Off-Topic forum... if we have that so people can post more inappropriate or stupid things, to create better discussions elsewhere, that's fine. But if we're also using it to control post padding, at this point, that's silly. It's not necessary anymore (does anyone care about post count here?), and it's also counterproductive since we are trying to create more posts.

    I think the Off-Topic forum can also be merged with GD. Creating more discussions.
    I live my life by my post count.

    The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS


    #15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •