Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    True, but you know what...at least it wasn't Nonis....
    Meh. The ability to not pick the worst choice isn't anything I'll celebrate. That should be a bare minimum expectation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Fantastic. The Flyers are accepting mediocrity. We are a franchise who says one thing, wanting fresh ideas and what not...and then hiring a retread GM who accomplished nothing above being "alright".

Well, he's only 51. He's likely learned a lot during his time with Shero (who has actually won a Cup, albeit with a loaded Pittsburgh team) and may bring a bit of a fresh perspective.

He also has family ties to Quenneville:

Fletcher’s family has ties to the recently fired Joel Quenneville, who coached Chicago to three Stanley Cups and is a candidate to replace Dave Hakstol if the new GM changes his coach. Cliff Fletcher hired Quenneville as an AHL assistant coach for St. John’s (Toronto’s affiliate) in 1991. As a GM, Cliff Fletcher acquired eight players in deals who became Hall of Famers. He made several blockbuster trades and became known as the “Silver Fox” and “Trader Cliff” – much like former Flyers GM Keith Allen was known as “Keith the Thief.”
    I don't LOVE the hire. But I don't hate it. I would've hated Nonis. I don't like the fact that we *needed* to make a GMN hire mid-season. However, that's spilt milk under the bridge. We're here now and the question is how do we go forward as an organization.

Fletcher is a good - not great, not spectacular - option. Aside from Zito (who I think had higher upside & a lower floor), there weren't any options that I was excited about. Fletcher is solid, if unspectacular. I hope he's learned from his time in MN and from his time working for Shero.

I'm not going to start this hoping that Fletcher fails. I hope he's wildly successful. I'm not overly optimistic, but given where we are today, i'm hopeful and wish him the best.

Meh. The ability to not pick the worst choice isn't anything I'll celebrate. That should be a bare minimum expectation.

Absolutely correct, but in life, you have to take the small wins when you don't get exactly what you want, you know? I didn't want Fletch...I wanted Zito...but at least it wasn't Nonis haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Well, he's only 51. He's likely learned a lot during his time with Shero (who has actually won a Cup, albeit with a loaded Pittsburgh team) and may bring a bit of a fresh perspective.

He also has family ties to Quenneville:

I don't LOVE the hire. But I don't hate it. I would've hated Nonis. I don't like the fact that we *needed* to make a GMN hire mid-season. However, that's spilt milk under the bridge. We're here now and the question is how do we go forward as an organization.

Fletcher is a good - not great, not spectacular - option. Aside from Zito (who I think had higher upside & a lower floor), there weren't any options that I was excited about. Fletcher is solid, if unspectacular. I hope he's learned from his time in MN and from his time working for Shero.

I'm not going to start this hoping that Fletcher fails. I hope he's wildly successful. I'm not overly optimistic, but given where we are today, i'm hopeful and wish him the best.
    He got hired in July. It's been like 5 months. I can't imagine that much was learned.

**** this team! Homer basically hired an extension of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    **** this team! Homer basically hired an extension of himself.
    But slightly better, imo. Either way, I'm dying with anticipation. Totally expecting a trade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    But slightly better, imo. Either way, I'm dying with anticipation. Totally expecting a trade soon.
    Is he, though? Realistically they have similar results. Neither GM put together rosters that were definitively the best 2/3 rosters in their conference. Homer was able to have a little more playoff success in moving past the 2nd round, where as Fletcher's Wild teams made the playoffs more consistently, but didn't make it ever to a conference finals. In terms of trades and FA, they're similar.

I think so far, what Fletcher has done, is quite comperable.

I don’t think it is smart given the turnover to come in guns blazing. I think coming in and listening to the players and coaches about what is going on is a key first step to getting the next moves right.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I don’t think it is smart given the turnover to come in guns blazing. I think coming in and listening to the players and coaches about what is going on is a key first step to getting the next moves right.
    He shouldn't be listening to the coach at all. He should be fired. I don't think we should, in any way, be listening to the coach. Hakstol needs to go.

He shouldn't be listening to the coach at all. He should be fired. I don't think we should, in any way, be listening to the coach. Hakstol needs to go.

Based on the reports, I think people (players and coaches, and prospects even) have been silenced for 3 or 4 years and them speaking is worth it. I’m hoping we see nothing for two weeks, because then I think a sincere analysis of what we have and don’t have took place. Big sweeping changes immediately are good if we want a high draft pick this year though. Should be interesting.

he is a puppet.

i just hope they announce it soon officially so we can see what happens to hakstol in the coming week.

Fantastic. The Flyers are accepting mediocrity. We are a franchise who says one thing, wanting fresh ideas and what not...and then hiring a retread GM who accomplished nothing above being "alright".
    considering that the flyers have, literally, been the most mediocre franchise in american sports since hiring hextall, firing him seems like an explicit rejection of mediocrity. but you do you.
    Please stop making this a "if we don't agree with you, we're just blind Hexy loyalists" situation. That isn't what's happening here.
    it is, actually. i'm not saying you're in that group (you seem pretty measured), but it is absolutely a factor on this board.

it is clear that some active posters here will jump down fletcher/holmgren's throat for doing and/or not doing, something they would have applauded if hextall had done it.
    It is really, really difficult to keep secrets of the kind referenced in that piece - and if these are true, all of them are newsworthy. Which makes me INCREDIBLY skeptical that no one with regular access to the team and a rolodex of team sources (many of whom pre-date Hextall) was able to corroborate them.
    noone local or national cared enough about the flyers to dig into it.

or, to be more specific, anyone who cared enough about the flyers to dig into something like this would also have had something to lose by exposing it while hextall was still in a position of power.
    Here's another question: why would any of the (supposed) sources contact only Anthony San Filippo?
    the way it's written, it seems like he reached out to sources for both stories, but after the first story, he was also contacted by additional people inside the flyers organization:
    I spoke to a lot of people today,
    since Hextall’s firing, I have been deluged with information from multiple people throughout the Flyers organization that just blew me away.

They all asked that I tread very lightly with this information, and I did so in this post that I published on Tuesday.
    This is where things get tricky for me. I am going to do my best to provide you with enough information without divulging too much as to leave a trail of cookie crumbs to my sources. But know that there are many things that published stories to this point have not addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Based on the reports, I think people (players and coaches, and prospects even) have been silenced for 3 or 4 years and them speaking is worth it. I’m hoping we see nothing for two weeks, because then I think a sincere analysis of what we have and don’t have took place. Big sweeping changes immediately are good if we want a high draft pick this year though. Should be interesting.
    What reports? There's one report that makes it seem that way, but it's a complete outlier in how far it goes. Until I see corroborated reports like that, I'll have a hard time believing that.

Hakstol hasn't changed his system since Hextall left. Unless Hexy is sending him mean text messages, I think it's fair to state that the stale system was not being manadated by by the GM

yup.

i'd understand the new guy immediately firing hakstol so he can hire quenneville, but short of that, the best course of action is to let everything settle down so he can evaluate players/coaches/prospects before he decides on a course of action.

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast