Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    It also reaks of a hatchet piece from a not-so-plugged-in reporter looking to curry favor with the Flyers organization. This isn't one of the better Flyers writers with existing sources - and lets be clear that no one else has reported this level of anything at this time. This isn't even coming from Boruk. Its from Anthony San Filippo. A political hack writer who doesn't do this full-time.

If this is all true (which I really, really doubt), then it's damning. But none of this has been corroborated.

Again, I'm not making a claim at this time regarding the truth or fallacy of this piece. I'm simply saying that we should get more information before we take the word of a mediocre part-time Flyers writer as gospel truth.
    Last edited by Ace23; 12-03-2018 at 12:42 AM.

This isn't even coming from Boruk. Its from Anthony San Filippo. A political hack writer who doesn't do this full-time.
    wait, isn't boruk was the political hack job?

one of those excerpts came from bill meltzer, whose reputation is pretty bulletproof around (last i checked anyway). and another one came from a third guy.

if you want to read it as a hatchet job, i understand, hextall is your guy, and in the words of lurleen lumpkin, 'stand by your manager'. but these reports would explain one of the bigger unanswered questions that i had about this thing, which is: why aren't any NHL insiders (national media, columnists, talking heads, agents, scouts, former players, other front office personnel, flyers personnel, flyers players, flyers alumni) coming out to defend/support hextall?

it may also shed some light on what went wrong in free agency this year, specifically:
    @JeffSkversky
    #Flyers GM Ron Hextall is NOT happy the Flyers were NOT on John Tavares list of teams to talk to about his pending free agent status

I read the Meltzer article when it came out and I didnít go that far down the rabbit hole ... youíd think the spying accusation would be more publicized but I canít find anything.

Not sure what to comment from here, itís a tough segue. This long gap between games combined with the timing of everything has been crazy. At least we are interesting again ... not in the best way but we do have more to talk about than how bad AMac sucks and waiting out another 2 years of contracts. Not saying it is right or wrong, just being factual

Is it bad that I kinda wish that Homer would take over as GM, we donít hire anyone and wait until the end of the year, and pay coach Q so much he canít say no; and then coach Q and Homer find the GM to put it together if they REALLY want to make a run with the current core.

I think one thing is clear, Hextall did not think the current core was a true cup contender ... but does Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    wait, isn't boruk was the political hack job?

one of those excerpts came from bill meltzer, whose reputation is pretty bulletproof around (last i checked anyway). and another one came from a third guy.

if you want to read it as a hatchet job, i understand, hextall is your guy, and in the words of lurleen lumpkin, 'stand by your manager'. but these reports would explain one of the bigger unanswered questions that i had about this thing, which is: why aren't any NHL insiders (national media, columnists, talking heads, agents, scouts, former players, other front office personnel, flyers personnel, flyers players, flyers alumni) coming out to defend/support hextall?

it may also shed some light on what went wrong in free agency this year, specifically:
    Steagles - to the bold: I specifically said I am not making any claims for or against the validity of what was posted by Anthony San Filippo. I am, however, EXTREMELY hesitant to believe everything I read. Especially when the source is a part time, want-to-be Flyers beat writer who does not have regular media access. And especially when no other writer - including those who are often critical of the Flyers organization - have even come close to corrorborating it.

Please stop making this a "if we don't agree with you, we're just blind Hexy loyalists" situation. That isn't what's happening here. But there is NO precendent for some of the claims leveled by ASF, and no sourcing to validate them. This wasn't published by a legitimate publication with editorial oversight and validation. This is wild, unsourced speculation that goes well beyond anything that has been reported by any other outlet, including those unaffiliated with the Flyers.

The Meltzer piece (which I also read) is a far, far, far cry from what was published by Anthony San Filippo.

My personal read on this was that Meltzer's piece was fair and measured (and your quote excerpts frame the story in a far more damaging light). We all knew that Hextall exercised more control than most GMs do over personnel and coaching matters. We knew that he limited access to assistant coaches and players. We knew that he was relatively clost-to-the-vest in his dealings. None of that is a surprise to me.

But claims that Hextall had Gord Murphy "spy" on the players and that none of them trusted him? Seems odd. The claim that Hextall controlled Hakstol? The claim that Hextall was a "nightmare" to deal with? The Chip Kelly-esque fanaticism about dieting and "sports science"? The claim that he was a "micromanager of the highest order"? That Hextall held the press conference to exercise more control over the team? These are editorial statements.

The closest incident to this alleged behavior in Philly sports was Chip Kelly with the Eagles - and EVERYONE in Philadephia knew about Chip Kelly's obsessiveness. It was all over the sports shows. It was all over the internet, with team beat writers and pundits alike talking about the "Chip Kelly Culture."

It is really, really difficult to keep secrets of the kind referenced in that piece - and if these are true, all of them are newsworthy. Which makes me INCREDIBLY skeptical that no one with regular access to the team and a rolodex of team sources (many of whom pre-date Hextall) was able to corroborate them.

Here's another question: why would any of the (supposed) sources contact only Anthony San Filippo? He's not particularly credible, he's not plugged in and he doesn't have a major platform. Why not contact Sam Carchidi or Bill Meltzer, both of whom are far more credible? Why not even contact Boruk, who has a better platform? Hell, if we're at it, why not contact any of the Broad Street Hockey crew? They have a larger platform AND are more credible. Or Charlie O'Connor at the Athletic? He's been around the Flyers organization for years and the Athletic is insanely reputable. There's also the Hockey News guys, the ESPN crew (who never shy away from an anti-Philly story), etc. If your goal was to tar & feather Hextall on his way out of town (which is really the ONLY reason to write this story), then why use a part-time contributor for a third-rate publication like Crossing Broad?

Again, I'm not making any claims about the truth or fallacy of the claims made by Anthony San Filippo. But until I see more information from more credible sources, I'm not going to treat them as Gospel truth.
    Last edited by Ace23; 12-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Is it bad that I kinda wish that Homer would take over as GM, we donít hire anyone and wait until the end of the year, and pay coach Q so much he canít say no; and then coach Q and Homer find the GM to put it together if they REALLY want to make a run with the current core.

I think one thing is clear, Hextall did not think the current core was a true cup contender ... but does Homer?
    Homer built almost every piece of this core. I'm sure at one time he thought this core, if supplemented the right way, was good enough to be a cup contender. I'm fairly sure he's ready for a retool on the flyer to try and contend. Unfortunately the Weber offer sheet may have made it impossible for Homer to GM successfully ever again.

Two things i think are likely over the next 9 months:

1. Flyers move prospects for established NHL talent. I'm not sure if this will be the higher end guys for a legitimate stud, or multiple mid level pieces for a mid level upgrade. I am sure it's going to finally happen.

2. The flyers either A. Acquire a goalie at the NHL or B. Carter Hart gets a look this season. Or C. Stolarz becomes an NHL starter in the eyes of everyone.

Rumor has it that the draft day deal Hexy was working on that he said would have been a "heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy price" was Bob. I can only imagine what CBJ would have asked in return for him.

Also, if the Flyers are eyeing up a return for Bob, you'd think they'd choose Bill Zito, considering the relationship and all. No basis to this, just lunchtime speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    Rumor has it that the draft day deal Hexy was working on that he said would have been a "heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy price" was Bob. I can only imagine what CBJ would have asked in return for him.
    If that's the case than I'm glad we didn't make that trade. That would have been an awful move. Bob is great but we may have the next young great goalie already and Bob is a year away from needing a market level deal.

That would been a silly silly trade. It's the type of things I'm fearful the next GM will do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well, @1908_Cubs, let's hope this isn't true:

Source: Chuck Fletcher to be named Flyers GM

http://www2.philly.com/flyers/chuck-...-20181203.html

It is 100% true. The Chuck Fletcher era has started

Fantastic. The Flyers are accepting mediocrity. We are a franchise who says one thing, wanting fresh ideas and what not...and then hiring a retread GM who accomplished nothing above being "alright".

Lunchroom debate: Lehtonen put up numbers similar to Khudoibin last year but remains unsigned. Would you offer him a 1 year deal to finish out this season and hope he puts up the same or close to his 2.56 and .912 for the rest of the year?

I wouldn't hate a rotation of Stollie, Lehtonen and Elliot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Fantastic. The Flyers are accepting mediocrity. We are a franchise who says one thing, wanting fresh ideas and what not...and then hiring a retread GM who accomplished nothing above being "alright".

True, but you know what...at least it wasn't Nonis....

Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    Well, @1908_Cubs, let's hope this isn't true:

Source: Chuck Fletcher to be named Flyers GM

http://www2.philly.com/flyers/chuck-...-20181203.html
    Given the article that steagles linked earlier, I think this quote from your article is telling:

ďHeíll do a great job in Philly,Ē the Flyers executive said. ďEverybodyís going to be happy to work for him. Everybodyís going to be happy heís there. His reputation, which is pretty easy when you talk to scouts and all those who have worked for him, is top-level. Everybody enjoyed working for him. Everybody wanted to work for him. Everybody felt part of the team.Ē

I was kind of hoping for Zito to be honest. Fletcher is a get butts in the seats pick, not a win a championship pick.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast