Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,826

    December 2018 (9-14-5)

    This team sucks.
    Last edited by blams; 12-05-2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: add schedule

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    19,421
    Yeah this is not a very good team.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Yeah this is not a very good team.
    I thought the downward spiral began with the Hjalmarsson trade. The team not only lost its best shot blocker, but a minutes eater and a guy who really allowed DK to excel. He was the Carney to DKís Chelios. You donít lose a 3-time Stanley Cup champion, a guy that went to war with his teammates every game for those Cups and not feel the impact of the loss. That was the beginning.

    Next, losing Hossa changed the entire complexity of the Blackhawks. Even at 39 and 40, he still would have been the best backchecker on the team. Losing him was, unfortunately, unavoidable, but I see the impact of that loss every single night now. Hossa left a massive hole on the roster.

    Lastly, Andrew Shaw. He wasnít right for the price. Yes, we did select DeBrincat with one of those picks. He made things happen though. He provided the team with energy. He, like the other two, has never been replaced.

    Those three subtractions are the biggest contributors to where we are now, in my own opinion. The Blackhawks have not iced good teams in the last two years. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Stan Bowman, but unfortunately Q was the scapegoat for it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    23,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I thought the downward spiral began with the Hjalmarsson trade. The team not only lost its best shot blocker, but a minutes eater and a guy who really allowed DK to excel. He was the Carney to DKís Chelios. You donít lose a 3-time Stanley Cup champion, a guy that went to war with his teammates every game for those Cups and not feel the impact of the loss. That was the beginning.

    Next, losing Hossa changed the entire complexity of the Blackhawks. Even at 39 and 40, he still would have been the best backchecker on the team. Losing him was, unfortunately, unavoidable, but I see the impact of that loss every single night now. Hossa left a massive hole on the roster.

    Lastly, Andrew Shaw. He wasnít right for the price. Yes, we did select DeBrincat with one of those picks. He made things happen though. He provided the team with energy. He, like the other two, has never been replaced.

    Those three subtractions are the biggest contributors to where we are now, in my own opinion. The Blackhawks have not iced good teams in the last two years. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Stan Bowman, but unfortunately Q was the scapegoat for it.
    And they didnít even replace these players with faster or younger guys. All the players Stan said six months ago he wanted to build around have been traded except for Cat. We got rid of key pieces and somehow got slower. Itís really something else. Stan is to blame. He contradicts himself at every turn and itís infuriating.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    And they didnít even replace these players with faster or younger guys. All the players Stan said six months ago he wanted to build around have been traded except for Cat. We got rid of key pieces and somehow got slower. Itís really something else. Stan is to blame. He contradicts himself at every turn and itís infuriating.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What key pieces other than the 3 that JTR mentioned and Panarin did we get rid of? He got DeBrincat with one of the picks in the Shaw trade as JTR mentioned. That's a huge win no matter how much you like Shaw (and I was always a big fan of his and was bummed to see him go). Murphy was also supposed to be a younger, cost controlled top-4 RHD that we got for Hjalmarsson. He wasn't great last year, but it was his first year with us in a new system and he picked it up towards the end of the season. If he didn't hurt his back, we might have seen him continue this trajectory and further improve. He's also looked great in the World Cup of Hockey during the summer. I'd wait to see how he does in Colliton's system before counting that trade as a huge loss. Losing Hossa just flat-out sucked but we didn't have the cap space last year to get a replacement for him (which is extremely hard in the first place) and this year, there wasn't really a player available that we could've added that would've come close to replacing him. The Panarin trade hurt. I was one that was very much in favor of a Panarin for Saad trade with the idea that we wouldn't have the cap space to re-sign Panarin at the end of his contract and that Saad could help Toews get his game back to where it was while also providing us with a better two-way game. I don't think anybody predicted that Saad would have as bad of a year as he did last year. Since Colliton has taken over, Saad has looked MUCH better. He's been one of our best forwards since the coaching change.

    As for Schmaltz, he disappointed this year with us and was awful at center. He made no improvement on faceoffs which was supposed to be the main thing he was working on this summer. He continuously deferred to his linemates even when he had a high percentage shot available. He also seemed just as allergic to contact and going into the tough areas as he was the year before. With that trade, we got a big C in Dylan Strome, who is a natural C that is willing to backcheck and go into the tough areas while also not being allergic to contact. He was also way better on faceoffs at the time of the trade than Schmaltz was and was DeBrincat's (one of our new core pieces) linemate in juniors where they set scoring records together. Getting Perlini, who's big and fast with a nice shot, was an added bonus. That's what made Stan move on from a player that disappointed. I'm not disappointed that he went and traded a player he considered a new core member just 6 months ago. I'm happy that he was willing to move someone he really liked while their value was high because they failed to live up to the expectations and failed to make the improvements in the offseason that we asked of them. This is coming from someone that really liked Schmaltz, too. All of those trades made us either younger or faster or both.

    I think Stan's plan was to quietly retool our roster, drafting defense heavy with very good skating, offensively gifted smaller D, getting younger and more cost controlled (which he has done), while being fairly mediocre to get higher draft picks in 2 very good drafts. If we're top-3 in this draft, we're looking at one of Jack Hughes (C with Patrick Kane-like ability), Kaapo Kakko (W with a similar style to Marian Hossa), or Dylan Cozens (Big C that's got good wheels and lots of talent). Add one of those 3 and if the rumors are true, we make a strong play for Panarin (who we now might have the cap space for), and that's the deepest forward group we've had since 2015. Add that to a defense with: Duncan Keith, who's declining but is still at least a 3/4 and probably capable of being a 1/2 with the right D-partner, a promising rookie in Jokiharju, a solid two-way D in Forsling, Murphy if he can build on the end of last season, Gustafsson, who's shown promise as an offensive defenseman, and one of Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, and Krys, who all have at least top-4 potential.

    If there's one major criticism of Bowman, it's his contracts. The Seabrook contract is one of the worst in all of hockey. If he can somehow move that contract without moving a 1st round pick or one of our top prospects, I think that redeems him a little bit. A Seabrook for Loui Eriksson trade makes a lot of sense for us as it gives us another veteran forward who's signed for a little less money and a few less years than Seabrook.


    2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,887
    Matt Murray's name has been mentioned in trade talks. If he's available, I'd offer up Crawford+ for him and see if Pittsburgh bites with Murray's recent injuries and struggles. It's an easy sell for both teams. Crawford is better right now and Murray is younger and has potential to be just as good if not better in the future. Both are signed for two years. If Pittsburgh was open to a Crawford and a 2nd for Murray type of deal or even a slightly bigger deal like Crawford, Murphy, and a 2nd for Murray and Maatta, I think that could be mutually beneficial. For us, getting a young goalie with Murray's pedigree could be huge as we can afford to take the chance that he stays healthy and bounces back strong since we're in a retooling period. For Pittsburgh, Murray with his injuries and struggles is a question mark so to get a goalie that's better than him right now and is signed for the same number of years while also adding an asset (2nd round pick) could help them. I've also liked the idea of a Murphy for Maatta swap for a while now. I think Maatta is a solid top-4 who could play well with Jokiharju or Boqvist/Mitchell. Either of those deals or the combined 4-player trade would work for me and I think the value is fairly close.


    2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,826
    This team sucks. Spent the majority of the 3rd on the PP in a tie game and manage to lose. Seven straight losses.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    23,894
    If thereís any consolation, we will likely get Jack Hughes at this pace.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    If thereís any consolation, we will likely get Jack Hughes at this pace.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Truth! #LoseForHughes


    2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •