Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Playoffs

Playoffs

Alabama, Clemson, ND, Georgia. Oklahoma didn't beat Texas by enough to jump Georgia and I don't see OSU doing enough to jump Georgia either.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Alabama, Clemson, ND, Georgia. Oklahoma didn't beat Texas by enough to jump Georgia and I don't see OSU doing enough to jump Georgia either.
    2 losses vs 1 is all that's needed for Oklahoma to jump Georgia
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

If you want Georgia in, you don't want the rematch against Bama right away. You drop ND, and put Georgia 3.

As a Georgia fan, I feel we are a top team in the country. But the precedent set by doing this, I'm not a fan of, so I'd keep Georgia out.

This is also where my idea for an 8 team playoff comes into play. You have all five Power Five champions represented. You would have a representative from the Group of Five with UCF- those guys would get a deserved nod. Finally, two at large bids- Notre Dame and UGA. Rank them 1-8 as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    If you want Georgia in, you don't want the rematch against Bama right away. You drop ND, and put Georgia 3.

As a Georgia fan, I feel we are a top team in the country. But the precedent set by doing this, I'm not a fan of, so I'd keep Georgia out.

This is also where my idea for an 8 team playoff comes into play. You have all five Power Five champions represented. You would have a representative from the Group of Five with UCF- those guys would get a deserved nod. Finally, two at large bids- Notre Dame and UGA. Rank them 1-8 as you see fit.
    I don't want to keep expanding endlessly though, we've gone from top 2 to top 4 and people want more until it starts to resemble NCAAB. I like 4, if anything else maybe I'd go 6 with two byes, but I'm cool with 4. I wouldn't cry about 8, but I worry the next step would be clamoring for 16, or 10 game schedules for the regular season and anyone who doesn't get in just has to eat it

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I don't want to keep expanding endlessly though, we've gone from top 2 to top 4 and people want more until it starts to resemble NCAAB. I like 4, if anything else maybe I'd go 6 with two byes, but I'm cool with 4. I wouldn't cry about 8, but I worry the next step would be clamoring for 16, or 10 game schedules for the regular season and anyone who doesn't get in just has to eat it
    Yeah 8 should be where it stops.

5 power conference champs, 1 non-power 5 school, 3 wild cards.

THis year would have been

Bama-Clemson-ND-OK-UGA-tOSU-CF-Wash

the argument comes down to 2 loss georgia vs. 2 loss michigan for the final spot.

A little bit of argument and controversy is good as it creates suspense and attract ratings.

The rankings show each week will have viewers (probably more if expanded to top 8) because more schools think they have a chance. NCAA and the networks are still making money if they expand it it to 8 IMO. They probably make more money, it's more about how much is on the plate for the student athletes at that point.

UCF deserves a spot, Georgia, not so much.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team

8 is a logical number, 4 never was....as long as there's 4, it should never be that a team doesn't win their own conference gets into the top 4. Shouldn't happen for Georgia this year, shouldn't have happened with Alabama before. I don't care if it was their only loss of the season, if you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve a shot at the natty....

Now, that's with 4.....if it's 6 you get rid of most subjectivity by saying win your Power 5 championship and you're in...then the top team that doesn't- this year that's ND.

However with 8, you can guarantee 6 spots to 5 Power 5 champs plus the top Group of 5 team. Then the top 2 teams remaining. Never a reason to expand further than 8, never an unbeaten team like UCF left out.

Bama simply on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenorazon View Post
    yeah, no salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by Zenorazon View Post
    Too bad it's taken their backup- twice- to beat Georgia.

I'm hoping Clemson takes out Bama.

ND is a good prep game for the Tigers, as Lawrence will be tested against one of the top defenses in the nation. This is a good game to play before a potential rematch with Bama.

I think Bama will slow down OK's run game and expose Murray's pure passing skills. But you never know, OK put up big numbers vs. Georgia last year, albeit with a better pure QB though (Baker).

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    I'm hoping Clemson takes out Bama.

ND is a good prep game for the Tigers, as Lawrence will be tested against one of the top defenses in the nation. This is a good game to play before a potential rematch with Bama.

I think Bama will slow down OK's run game and expose Murray's pure passing skills. But you never know, OK put up big numbers vs. Georgia last year, albeit with a better pure QB though (Baker).
    Something to note, though- it has taken Alabama's backup QB to beat Georgia each time. Bama also isn't used to playing close games late, when you are reaching for that second gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Something to note, though- it has taken Alabama's backup QB to beat Georgia each time. Bama also isn't used to playing close games late, when you are reaching for that second gear.
    That actually makes Alabama more impressive. They can beat one of the top teams in the country with their backup.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    No I dont buy the slippery slope argument. 8 makes logical sense with each Power 5 conference represented plus the 3 at large. One extra week of football. It will happen and we will look back and think how stupid we all were for taking so long to get to this logical point.