Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ranked behind the Cowboys defense in holding teams to the fewest points are:

Bears
    Chargers
    Texans

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    When i looked at the schedule it seemed like the saints were the most formidable opponent in the remaining games. I wonder how this all plays out.
    Dont overlook the Colts. Andrew Luck is playing extremely well right now. The Eagles game next week is still must win if you ask me.

Yeah Eagles game is most important. So long as we win that game we should pretty much be a lock for the playoffs,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Dont overlook the Colts. Andrew Luck is playing extremely well right now. The Eagles game next week is still must win if you ask me.
    Yeah definitely. They look like a challenge. The Saints had been pummeling teams putting up 40 even on top teams. The dallas d did an amazing job. Easily the most enjoyable game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Yeah Eagles game is most important. So long as we win that game we should pretty much be a lock for the playoffs,
    How do you think we stack up against the bears rams and saints?

The thursday game broke a record as the highest rating they had in thursday night football history.

Marcus Mosher Locked on Cowboys podcast made a good point that in the last 4 games Dak is playing with the same effectiveness (context dependent) as his rookie year but with reserve quality players on the left side of the line. If the defense continues to play like this and the offense converts over 50% of 3rd downs (Dak 24-28 in the game and key runs) this team will be almost unbeatable. Let's not forget that Cowboys could have punched it in at the end of the game to make the score 20 to 10. I am upbeat that we can essentially run the table the rest of the season with exception we will probably rest guys in what could be a meaningless week 17.

If the defense continues to play at the level theyre playing they have a legit shot as beating all three in the playoffs. The problem though is that the Cowboys would be on the road in every game I believe (against these three). The Bears would also be extremely tough because of their defense. Their defense is actually playing better than ours.

I think we'd beat the Bears but we are not better than the Rams or Saints IMO (even though we beat the Saints).

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I think we'd beat the Bears but we are not better than the Rams or Saints IMO (even though we beat the Saints).
    The Saints are deadly in their only superdome, but for some reason, are more vulnerable when on the road. A team as explosive as the Saints, you can't expect to hold them down to 10 points every time you play them. By the way, I know Vander Esch has been getting a lot of praise, but that Jaylon flew out and tackled Kamara in open field and saved a touch down. All the clips show only the next play, but that 7 probably (among some other plays) probably saved the game. We'll have a better idea of how good the teams are when the bears play the rams this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Marcus Mosher Locked on Cowboys podcast made a good point that in the last 4 games Dak is playing with the same effectiveness (context dependent) as his rookie year but with reserve quality players on the left side of the line. If the defense continues to play like this and the offense converts over 50% of 3rd downs (Dak 24-28 in the game and key runs) this team will be almost unbeatable. Let's not forget that Cowboys could have punched it in at the end of the game to make the score 20 to 10. I am upbeat that we can essentially run the table the rest of the season with exception we will probably rest guys in what could be a meaningless week 17.
    This defense is Dak's best friend...not even Zeke. It lets him play to his strengths. The criticism has died down and he can just do what he does best. Watching the Saints game, I kept thinking, boy, if this defense plays like this and the offense suddenly gets hot, it's going to flip the NFL on its head.

If the defense continues to play at the level theyre playing they have a legit shot as beating all three in the playoffs. The problem though is that the Cowboys would be on the road in every game I believe (against these three). The Bears would also be extremely tough because of their defense. Their defense is actually playing better than ours.
    Maybe, a lot of fans secretly thought of the second possibility that the Cowboys would beat the Saints as a low scoring affair since one of those games were due. (but didn't say it out loud because people would tell them they're crazy). They probably didn't expect a complete elite showing. They completely dominated the Saints, if not for the Gregory penalties that made it closer than it should have been. Credit should be given to the defensive coaches. Even when it looked like a MASH unit and players were injured, the defensive coaches made no excuses and kept the guys playing hard. That interception that saved the game...they showed it from Drew Brees point of view and you saw a Dallas pass rusher barreling down right on him from the middle that probably affected his decision. And Jaylon has been playing out of his mind, not only hitting hard but making some amazing plays. He was graded as the most talented defensive player before the injury, kudos to the staff for banking on an injured player. The Dallas D finally has guys that can play at the 3 levels - pass rush, linebackers and secondary. Bryon Jones with his speed to play the best receiver; Lawrence for the pass rush and the speedy sideline to sideline linebackers (Sean Lee, who was the smartest and best linebacker in the past is coming back too). This offense is due for a game to get hot. Hopefully, it comes at the right time, to finish it out and in the playoffs. The Dallas D right now is ranked #2 in holding teams down to the fewest points.

Maybe, a lot of fans secretly thought of the second possibility that the Cowboys would beat the Saints as a low scoring affair since one of those games were due. (but didn't say it out loud because people would tell them they're crazy). They probably didn't expect a complete elite showing. They completely dominated the Saints, if not for the Gregory penalties that made it closer than it should have been. Credit should be given to the defensive coaches. Even when it looked like a MASH unit and players were injured, the defensive coaches made no excuses and kept the guys playing hard. That interception that saved the game...they showed it from Drew Brees point of view and you saw a Dallas pass rusher barreling down right on him from the middle that probably affected his decision. And Jaylon has been playing out of his mind, not only hitting hard but making some amazing plays. He was graded as the most talented defensive player before the injury, kudos to the staff for banking on an injured player. The Dallas D finally has guys that can play at the 3 levels - pass rush, linebackers and secondary. Bryon Jones with his speed to play the best receiver; Lawrence for the pass rush and the speedy sideline to sideline linebackers (Sean Lee, who was the smartest and best linebacker in the past is coming back too). This offense is due for a game to get hot. Hopefully, it comes at the right time, to finish it out and in the playoffs. The Dallas D right now is ranked #2 in holding teams down to the fewest points.
    They got extremely lucky with Jaylon. Well maybe not all luck considering the doctor that performed his surgery also happens to the Cowboys team doctor. Their patience with him is definitely starting to pay off.

Richard has made a huge impact on this defense. I know a lot of people are concerned about losing him but Im not. I fully expect Marinelli to retire after the season and Kris Richard to be promoted to DC, along with a huge fat raise in pay. Jerry and Stephen are not letting this guy get away. Even if it means adding Assistant Head Coach to his title just to get him to stay. Hes already been calling the defense. His attitude has rubbed off on the entire defense. Hes also helped turn Byron Jones from a potential bust into one of the absolute best shut down CBs in the NFL.

They got extremely lucky with Jaylon. Well maybe not all luck considering the doctor that performed his surgery also happens to the Cowboys team doctor. Their patience with him is definitely starting to pay off.

Richard has made a huge impact on this defense. I know a lot of people are concerned about losing him but Im not. I fully expect Marinelli to retire after the season and Kris Richard to be promoted to DC, along with a huge fat raise in pay. Jerry and Stephen are not letting this guy get away. Even if it means adding Assistant Head Coach to his title just to get him to stay. Hes already been calling the defense. His attitude has rubbed off on the entire defense. Hes also helped turn Byron Jones from a potential bust into one of the absolute best shut down CBs in the NFL.
    It probably helps to gamble on potential studs. Jaylon's talent was too tantalizing for them to not take a flyer on him. Now, Dallas has 3 stud linebackers. Not only gifted, but smart...and all 3 fly to the ball.

You probably remember Byron Jones combine. He blew the doors off that combine. Having the highest jump...and also one of the fastest running times. His rare athletic gifts had teams salivating. I think he was probably being wasted at safety. He got banged up having to make those hard tackles required by a safety. With his speed and athleticism...he's pretty much taken out most of the top receivers.

You're right. Richard is actually better off in Dallas. Look at all the young budding pieces he has to work with. Byron Jones, LVE, Jaylon and D Lawrence are all very young. He also has a smart player in Sean Lee. The other pieces are pretty promising too. The funny thing is Dallas has invested way more money on the offensive side of the ball. Can't imagine if they poured in some more to make it even better. I think Marinelli has instilled a warrior hustle mentality...these guys have been flying to the ball for several seasons now...and they are starting to come together. Richard is better off staying put and inheriting these dynamic pieces than go to some troubled organization with less talent.

If you were the GM, what do you think you'd do in the offseason to make this an even more formidable defense? They might as well strike while the iron is hot and make it even better.

It probably helps to gamble on potential studs. Jaylon's talent was too tantalizing for them to not take a flyer on him. Now, Dallas has 3 stud linebackers. Not only gifted, but smart...and all 3 fly to the ball.

You probably remember Byron Jones combine. He blew the doors off that combine. Having the highest jump...and also one of the fastest running times. His rare athletic gifts had teams salivating. I think he was probably being wasted at safety. He got banged up having to make those hard tackles required by a safety. With his speed and athleticism...he's pretty much taken out most of the top receivers.

You're right. Richard is actually better off in Dallas. Look at all the young budding pieces he has to work with. Byron Jones, LVE, Jaylon and D Lawrence are all very young. He also has a smart player in Sean Lee. The other pieces are pretty promising too. The funny thing is Dallas has invested way more money on the offensive side of the ball. Can't imagine if they poured in some more to make it even better. I think Marinelli has instilled a warrior hustle mentality...these guys have been flying to the ball for several seasons now...and they are starting to come together. Richard is better off staying put and inheriting these dynamic pieces than go to some troubled organization with less talent.

If you were the GM, what do you think you'd do in the offseason to make this an even more formidable defense? They might as well strike while the iron is hot and make it even better.

Must sign D Law to an extension. The shear chaos he creates has a cascading effect throughout the entire defense. No brainer IMO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast