Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Must sign D Law to an extension. The shear chaos he creates has a cascading effect throughout the entire defense. No brainer IMO
    Yep, we are going to have some tough money decisions on our hands coming up after these next couple of years. Now that we have to start paying for Amari, Iím really suspicious that we can fit in someone like ET into our team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

Must sign D Law to an extension. The shear chaos he creates has a cascading effect throughout the entire defense. No brainer IMO
    Is david irving coming back this season?

The Giants beat the Bears 30-27. Is it the Giants offense waking up or the Bears not as strong as some thought?

And the Jaguars shut out the Colts 6-0.

Anyways, the Cowboys have a legitimate shot to take over the 3rd spot in the NFC....and they will play the Colts soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    The Giants beat the Bears 30-27. Is it the Giants offense waking up or the Bears not as strong as some thought?

And the Jaguars shut out the Colts 6-0.

Anyways, the Cowboys have a legitimate shot to take over the 3rd spot in the NFC....and they will play the Colts soon.
    Thought about that but I am not sure I wouldn't prefer to stay in the 4 spot. My rationale is I would rather play the Rams on grass outdoors in a stadium and location that has a lot of natural Cowboy fans than play NO again this time in the Dome. Both tough teams but I have a good feeling about a Cowboys team on a roll playing in Los Angeles. Super Bowl?

Thought about that but I am not sure I wouldn't prefer to stay in the 4 spot. My rationale is I would rather play the Rams on grass outdoors in a stadium and location that has a lot of natural Cowboy fans than play NO again this time in the Dome. Both tough teams but I have a good feeling about a Cowboys team on a roll playing in Los Angeles. Super Bowl?
    Same. NO at home is very very scary.

Yankees Farm System

You're right. Some analysts were pointing out some stats...and the Saints were more vulnerable on the road in the playoffs, but deadly at home. Fluky things happen for the Saints on the road in playoff games for some reason. Though, the Saints pass defense is a lot worse than the Rams, so the Cowboys could do a lot more through the air against the Saints. I think by the playoffs, the Cowboys offense will be more on the same page in terms of timing and the new receivers will know the playbook much better. I get the feeling defenses will try to take away the run in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    It probably helps to gamble on potential studs. Jaylon's talent was too tantalizing for them to not take a flyer on him. Now, Dallas has 3 stud linebackers. Not only gifted, but smart...and all 3 fly to the ball.

You probably remember Byron Jones combine. He blew the doors off that combine. Having the highest jump...and also one of the fastest running times. His rare athletic gifts had teams salivating. I think he was probably being wasted at safety. He got banged up having to make those hard tackles required by a safety. With his speed and athleticism...he's pretty much taken out most of the top receivers.

You're right. Richard is actually better off in Dallas. Look at all the young budding pieces he has to work with. Byron Jones, LVE, Jaylon and D Lawrence are all very young. He also has a smart player in Sean Lee. The other pieces are pretty promising too. The funny thing is Dallas has invested way more money on the offensive side of the ball. Can't imagine if they poured in some more to make it even better. I think Marinelli has instilled a warrior hustle mentality...these guys have been flying to the ball for several seasons now...and they are starting to come together. Richard is better off staying put and inheriting these dynamic pieces than go to some troubled organization with less talent.

If you were the GM, what do you think you'd do in the offseason to make this an even more formidable defense? They might as well strike while the iron is hot and make it even better.
    The money is about to even out on the defensive side of the ball. They are going to have to pay DLaw and Jones this off season. That also likely means that Sean Lee is likely on his way out. I believe Crawford is a FA too and Iíd be surprised if they brought him back. I know they flirted with trading Jourdan Lewis so there is also still the possibility they do that. Richard prefers bigger CBís and Lewisí stock is about as high as itís going to get.

As for who they will add... I know a lot of people want Earl Thomas but I just donít see them doing that. Heís 30 years old and will likely command the highest price ever paid for, for a safety. Considering Stephen is now in charge of the money I just donít see him signing an older player that much money no matter how good he is. Any players they add will likely be donít through the draft. Thatís the way they built this defense and I think they will stick with that formula. They may bring in some lower priced FAís but not any of the top high dollar guys.

As great as Earl Thomas has been I think it would be a serious misallocation of assets given the fact we must sign D Law and will need to re-up the emerging greatness of Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones. A defense anchored by D Law, Byron Jones, and the 2 young LB studs will be an upper echelon D for the next 5 years. Fill in the pieces around these 4 and you have a very good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The money is about to even out on the defensive side of the ball. They are going to have to pay DLaw and Jones this off season. That also likely means that Sean Lee is likely on his way out. I believe Crawford is a FA too and Iíd be surprised if they brought him back. I know they flirted with trading Jourdan Lewis so there is also still the possibility they do that. Richard prefers bigger CBís and Lewisí stock is about as high as itís going to get.

As for who they will add... I know a lot of people want Earl Thomas but I just donít see them doing that. Heís 30 years old and will likely command the highest price ever paid for, for a safety. Considering Stephen is now in charge of the money I just donít see him signing an older player that much money no matter how good he is. Any players they add will likely be donít through the draft. Thatís the way they built this defense and I think they will stick with that formula. They may bring in some lower priced FAís but not any of the top high dollar guys.
    I hope they all come together at the same time. We've seen in the past one side get strong, with holes left somewhere else on the team. DLaw and Byron Jones have too much potential to let go. Not only are they playing at a peak level, but they are also 1) young and 2) physical specimen. Especially Jones, who's like a freak of nature. He's actually sometimes more athletic than the receiver he's guarding.

It does seem like the resurgence of this team has been built through the draft. They have more friendly longer cap friendly contracts that allow you to evaluate a player's worth. Zeke, the offensive line, Jaylon, LVE, Byron Jones....all studs taken from the draft. No way we'd afford them collectively on the free agent market. A guy of Earl Thomas playmaking ability is intriguing on a defense that's been playing as well as this. But, I agree with you. I saw what Earl was looking for and it gave me sticker shock. The Cowboys can't afford any money contract not to live up to its value. Too many guys coming up they have to pay. But, this defense has been rapidly trending upward. At the start of the season, they had some good stats, but it started rising upward - 8th ranked defense, 6th, entering into the Saints game 5th...and then 2nd (haven't checked today's stats yet). The biggest category they improved was keeping offenses from scoring touchdowns. Maybe, there can be an Earl Thomas like player to be found in the draft. I'd still like to see Sean Lee stick around for a couple of years. He's a great player. They showed how his football IQ was so high, that he usually figured out what the play was and was there before almost any player, even guys way faster than him. LVE and Jaylon can benefit from his knowledge and Sean seems very open to mentoring young guys. What I saw with Jourdan Lewis in the last few games, I'd like to see how he progresses before any decision is made on him. This unit has just been impressive...and it feels like they are just growing. Their big stars are only like 23.

Me too. Plus Goff is not as scary as Brees right now. Not to say the Rams aren't scary good but Brees in the playoffs at home? I'd rather bet against Goff when weather could at least make a game more unpredictable.

As great as Earl Thomas has been I think it would be a serious misallocation of assets given the fact we must sign D Law and will need to re-up the emerging greatness of Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones. A defense anchored by D Law, Byron Jones, and the 2 young LB studs will be an upper echelon D for the next 5 years. Fill in the pieces around these 4 and you have a very good defense.
    I want ET badly and think our defense would be otherworldly with him but agree that the money probably won't work unless he takes a bit less to play here (unlikely). What we need to do is replace Heath as our starter with someone a bit more competent and allow Heath to be a very good backup and ST player. That's really where he is best suited IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I want ET badly and think our defense would be otherworldly with him but agree that the money probably won't work unless he takes a bit less to play here (unlikely). What we need to do is replace Heath as our starter with someone a bit more competent and allow Heath to be a very good backup and ST player. That's really where he is best suited IMO.
    My worry is this is the other side of the Amari Cooper trade. It wasnít just losing out on the pick, but also the cap space.

Thatís why the trade was so hard to be a good one. He had to himself be the equivalent of a first round pick and an additional FA of about 10 mil a year.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    My worry is this is the other side of the Amari Cooper trade. It wasnít just losing out on the pick, but also the cap space.

Thatís why the trade was so hard to be a good one. He had to himself be the equivalent of a first round pick and an additional FA of about 10 mil a year.

No doubt it was a steep trade by any measure but the positive effect it had on opening up the entire offense is very profound and potentially offsets what was given up in the trade. As Dak develops even more chemistry with Cooper and gains trust in Coopers route running Dak will be more likely to have quick 3 step drop, fire to Cooper before he breaks his route thus eliminating sack potential. The dividends from having Cooper are going to continue to payoff IMO. I think this team is setting up for a playoff run.

No doubt it was a steep trade by any measure but the positive effect it had on opening up the entire offense is very profound and potentially offsets what was given up in the trade. As Dak develops even more chemistry with Cooper and gains trust in Coopers route running Dak will be more likely to have quick 3 step drop, fire to Cooper before he breaks his route thus eliminating sack potential. The dividends from having Cooper are going to continue to payoff IMO. I think this team is setting up for a playoff run.
    Thatís one of the problems with Dak though. He has a tendency to wait for the WR to make his break before releasing the ball. He needs to make that pass before the WR breaks. He still plays like heís in college where the windows are bigger. Thatís why we see a lot of his game being behind the WR or getting tipped.

If there are two things Dak needs to work on in the off season itís throwing the ball before the WR breaks and throwing the deep ball.

I have an IGT up in the main for this weeks game if someone wants to copy it and make an IGT here.

Good luck Sunday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast