Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Braves sign 3B Josh Donaldson

Ken_Rosenthal
    Donaldson in agreement with #Braves on one-year, $23M free-agent contract, sources tell The Athletic. Deal is pending a physical.

one more year to let Riley develop, I like the move. If Donaldson can stay healthy for most of the year and get back to a decent form the Braves will be in good shape.

Just un-sure what this means for Johan Camargo. I don't feel his bat is good enough for a corner OF spot and rather him not ride the bench. Maybe he wins the SS job over Dansby in the spring?

ATL needs Camargo to play LF or trade him (or Dansby). He is too good to be sitting on the bench.

Also not a fan of paying Donaldson 23M. That eats up 40-50 % of ATLís assumed spending money to upgrade a position they were already strong at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first big news, now the offseason plan start to take shape. Donaldson is going to be absolutely awesome in the lineup if he's healthy. We spent a lot of money on him but is just one year, deals like this are excellent.

As Wrench said, this obviously open the door to trade either Camargo or Swanson, and is also interesting that the Indians want player close to the majors in any trade for one of their SP, they traded for Donaldson at the deadline so there is a need at 3B (or second, depending on they would like to play Ramirez) Camargo makes sense for them and along with a top SP prospect the framework for a guy like Kluber or Carrasco makes sense.

Absolutely great signing. If healthy, he fits this lineup perfectly. Camargo, Anderson and another spec for Kluber?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    ATL needs Camargo to play LF or trade him (or Dansby). He is too good to be sitting on the bench.

Also not a fan of paying Donaldson 23M. That eats up 40-50 % of ATLís assumed spending money to upgrade a position they were already strong at.

It's only for one year, though. So we can still spend knowing money will be coming off the books next year.

Camargo now being without a clear role is the only reason I didn't want Donaldson but this deal was too good to pass up IMO. If Donaldson puts up a .900+ OPS we'll be in great shape. Camargo can jump into a Ben Zobrist role and fill in basically all around the field. IMO the pressure is now on Dansby. If he struggles with the bat again then Camargo could push him out of the lineup.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    This is the first big news, now the offseason plan start to take shape. Donaldson is going to be absolutely awesome in the lineup if he's healthy. We spent a lot of money on him but is just one year, deals like this are excellent.

As Wrench said, this obviously open the door to trade either Camargo or Swanson, and is also interesting that the Indians want player close to the majors in any trade for one of their SP, they traded for Donaldson at the deadline so there is a need at 3B (or second, depending on they would like to play Ramirez) Camargo makes sense for them and along with a top SP prospect the framework for a guy like Kluber or Carrasco makes sense.
    Adding Kluber, Donaldson, & McCann would mean ATL has spent 42.5M. That leaves another ~12M with OF and the pen having not been addressed at all. And Catcher isnít exactly an upgrade, at least not by a wide margin. Not sure that is a good decision.

I agree Camargo could be an attractive trade piece. To me, this leaves 3 options for Camargo:

1) Swanson becomes the trade piece and Camargo moves to SS.
    2) Camargo becomes the trade piece.
    3) Camargo can play LF.

I would be very upset if Camargo became a super utility guy after he posted a 3.7 WAR season at age 24. Trading Camargo means AA has total faith in Riley moving forward, which scares me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    It's only for one year, though. So we can still spend knowing money will be coming off the books next year.

Camargo now being without a clear role is the only reason I didn't want Donaldson but this deal was too good to pass up IMO. If Donaldson puts up a .900+ OPS we'll be in great shape. Camargo can jump into a Ben Zobrist role and fill in basically all around the field. IMO the pressure is now on Dansby. If he struggles with the bat again then Camargo could push him out of the lineup.
    ATL is still on a relatively tight payroll. Moving a guy who could very well be a 4 WAR player to the bench seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

I really like Donaldson and I love his bat in this lineup. But I think Camargo is a much better player than many are giving him credit for, especially at league minimum. ATL could use him on the field everyday and spend $$ at positions of actual need.

If Camargo can play LF or SS everyday, I would be much, much happier about this deal. Time will tell on that front.

Swanson lacks any trade value other than being a throw in and I don't see that happening.

Good amount of corner OF options on the trade market who don't make alot, I see that being the place where we upgrade that spot if we do over moving Camargo. Would not be a huge fan of Camargo but it isn't a terrible back up plan.

Adding Kluber, Donaldson, & McCann would mean ATL has spent 42.5M. That leaves another ~12M with OF and the pen having not been addressed at all. And Catcher isnít exactly an upgrade, at least not by a wide margin. Not sure that is a good decision.

I agree Camargo could be an attractive trade piece. To me, this leaves 3 options for Camargo:

3) Camargo can play LF.

I would be very upset if Camargo became a super utility guy after he posted a 3.7 WAR season at age 24. Trading Camargo means AA has total faith in Riley moving forward, which scares me.

So is doable? 12MM is more than enough (I guess) to sign Markakis back then trade Teheran and use that money on a bullpen arm.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    So is doable? 12MM is more than enough (I guess) to sign Markakis back then trade Teheran and use that money on a bullpen arm.
    That ~12.5M to spend is after trading Teheran. If they donít trade him, ATL would be left with almost no $$ with adding Kluber, Donaldson, & McCann.

That ~12.5M to spend is after trading Teheran. If they donít trade him, ATL would be left with almost no $$ with adding Kluber, Donaldson, & McCann.

Gotcha, then get Carrasco instead of Kluber. It might work. But now after giving a second thought, it might be smart to keep Camargo around and use him as the super utility guy the Braves always wanted, he might be able to get 400 PA.

3) Camargo can play LF.

Camargo in LF makes the most sense. I want him to stay in the lineup as much as possible as well. I wouldn't expect his power #'s to go up much higher but about 20ish homers and an .800+ OPS is solid production from LF. His .806 OPS would have tied him for 26th among OF's.

If Camargo does learn LF then I would expect Duvall to be tendered. Whenever Camargo spells Donaldson at 3rd or Dansby at short then we'll need Duvall. I know you're not a big fan of Duvall from our past talks on here lol but I do think this is a scenario where we may end up needing him. Cheap power bat who is a plus defender.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Camargo is a great UTIL guy, except he canít play OF (as far as we know). That would limit his possible ABs. I am also not in love with relegating a guy to the beach when he is in his mid 20s and seems to keep getting better, trending towards a 4+ WAR player.

Donaldson is certainly a huge add for this team. AA was not going to add a bat (or player) of Donaldsonís caliber for cheaper in the open market. He should really help the lineup.

But the contract is not cheap and didnít fill a need. Once we see other moves play out and we know how this team looks in total it will be easier to evaluate. For now, I am concerned that AA just spent 23M to upgrade a position, not fix one.

Catcher is marginally better (hopefully). OF is still unaddressed. SP is still unaddressed. RP is still unaddressed. But ATL has spent 23M of their approximately 53M (after moving JT) that we believe they have. That just concerns me.

It like the move. But the moves to come will really set my opinion overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast