Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Shurmur?

Quote Originally Posted by Giants-NL-3 View Post
    Apart from last game, is coaching really a big part of the problem though? Because i think it isnít
    The playcalling has been terrible all year.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    Itís funny Eli is on pace to have one of his best statistical season ever and we might end up 3-13 again lol
    This would be a completely different season had the Giants had a good OL with a good running game and an effective play action.

Instead we have defenses stopping the run with a front 7 and everyone else sitting back waiting for the short pass because they know the pocket will collapse before Eli can step up.

Hence why the numbers are actually decent but the results are mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    All the same chicken littles who wanted Coughlin fired in 06 and to give up on Eli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol not really I always supported coughlin until it was obviously time to all of us. Iíve seen enough of this guy to know heís not a good head coach most of you donít feel that way thatís fine. But Iím pretty confident Iíll be able to bump this thread around week 6-7 next year with a lot of tunes changed. Iím hoping Iím wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    The playcalling has been terrible all year.
    1. I think youíre overdoing it. Play calling is a little too conservative at times, Iíll give you that

2. Let all 32 coaches call the plays with this oline and Eli as QB. You think a lot would do a lot better?

3. Apart from play calling, which is just 1 of many aspects a good HC should have, can anyone please name more aspects in which he is clearly a bad coach. Because before last eagles game really everyone was saying this team was heading in the right direction.

4. Why would you Ďfixí with a new HC instead of a (new) play calling OC?

5. I kind of have the feeling that all people here screaming Shurmur should be fired are the same ones screaming that Eli sucks. So then my question is, you blame Shurmur for being a bad HC, but is it his fault he has to work with a terrible oline and a sucky QB??

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    I know itís unlikely because itís only one season and Gettleman admitting he hired the wrong guy would be held against him.

But is it that crazy?Heís having a very rough season, he was far from the giants first choice, and he has a history of failing as a HC.

He coached the browns who have won 6 games since he left lmao I like his game plan for the most part and I like the way he handles the media. Itís a rough season because we have a mediocre OL an old QB and an average defense at best. Itís not a 1 year fix, I do like where we are headed. Fix the OL get the future QB and add some defense. Gotta cut the old guys save the money and draft we well
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Heís coached 11 games and hasnít had even a mediocre oline until 3 weeks ago.

Heís made some bad decisions like any coach. Heís also proved that his O system can move the ball when the oline is doing what they need to do.

Itís waaaay too early for this.

Weíre not the Browns. We donít fire and hire at the drop of a hat. Giants have always been about stability and the long term plan.

So anyone judging off of one season thatís not even over yet and saying to fire and cut all these people needs to settle the **** down.

Youíve got DG for at least 3 more years to see what he can build (doing very well so far btw). And you definitely have Shurmur and Eli (barring a good trade offer and Eli waiving his no trade clause which he doesnít want to do) for next season.

Eli could and prob will be cut I think
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Play calling goes into your confidence in the OL and QB. Sadly the confidence level is down on both. Eli is ok but that line is so bad thereís only so much you can do.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Eli could and prob will be cut I think
    No way. They'd have to do it before the draft and FA to make it worthwhile, and they'd be foolish to ditch a veteran QB before having the next man up (unless of course Lauletta looks like a star in the last few games this year).

The end of Eli as a Giant will likely be him retiring and I can honestly see him doing that this year to preserve his health, or sticking around to groom young QBs next year and then leaving.

There's a chance that the Giants tell him "look we're starting a young guy next year, whether Lauletta or a draft pick, so if you want to play next year, you should consider waving your no-trade clause and we'll work on sending you somewhere that you want to go".

Those are the only two ways I see him leaving. Not being cut. If Lauletta isn't the guy and they don't have a rookie QB they want badly at the draft, AND there's not a FA QB they love....they have to keep Eli.

So in the trade scenario, if he's good with it, I can see a situation where he's either dealt to the Jags like everyone says (because Coughlin, Snee and Flaherty are there), but if they're getting rid of Bortles, it means they're more likely to want to draft a QB this year and want Eli in the same veteran grooming role we need him for. In the off chance that Brees wants to retire on a high note (and maybe even another SB win as it looks like they're the team to beat in the NFC after beating the Rams), I could also see a situation where Eli is dealt to the Saints to finish his career where Archie was and where his family is....but no idea how he fits into that system at all, so doubtful there.

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Play calling goes into your confidence in the OL and QB. Sadly the confidence level is down on both. Eli is ok but that line is so bad thereís only so much you can do.
    And let's remember that Eli has full audible rights. Playcalling falls on him almost as much as the HC and OC, though his audibles are attached to the coaches' gameplan.

So much for firing Shurmur talk.... He kept the locker together and the guys haven't given up at all

Eli making his bid to remain the starter for next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

^I think he should remain the starter. He does give us the best chance to win. No rookie will give us a better chance IMO.

As long as they keep a stable oline, Eli can start next year but they need a QB of the future learning behind him whether itís Lauletta or someone else.

Also I still think Bridgewater is the wild card in this. But prefer that Eli retire a Giant.

^I just don't like next year's draft enough to mortgage everything on a QB. We have other needs

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    I think this is the perfect time to get rid of Shurmur now if he's not our guy....with all the firings this year we could get a much better HC now rather than later.....just saying. Don't want to turn into the Cleveland Browns under him....just saying.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast