Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Shurmur?

I like Shurmur better than any of the guys who have been fired so far. Maybe McCarthy could work, who I think gets too tough of criticism.

At the end of the year when we had a better line (after a Whole offseason of even armchair coaches like all of us ranting about how bad theyíd be since they never upgraded RG or RT), you could see it all clicking. Thatís why I still think itís incredibly important for them to upgrade the line ASAP. Barkley is the offense now. Use to be OBJ and could be again, but right now itís all Barkley. In fact Iíd gladly trade OBJ for an all pro olineman right now, because if we have solid line play with this system, I honestly donít think it matters who our WRs are. Shep and Engram are still playmakers too.

Itís also why (and I know Iíve said this 100 times) I think we really need to get younger and quicker at QB. All these bootlegs and backfield motion are begging for a qb who can run them quicker and bail with his legs if he needs to.

I love Eli but quickness is not his thing and this system is not one built for him (no matter how committed Shurmur is to him).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giants scored the most points of any team in the NFC east. Defense killed them, they gave up over 400 pts this year.

Btw one of the most brilliant play designs Iíve seen from a Giants offense was last week. Everyone in the league is accounting for Barkley when they play us. So we had a play that was a play action to Barkley, he kicked out, the line blocked like it was a screen to Barkley, Eli pump faked a screen pass to Barkley (at this point the whole damn D is moving that way) then he turned and threw a quick screen to Engram who ran for a big gain. The play design was clearly meant for OBJ too. If it was OBj getting that screen with one man on his side, heíd take it to the house.

Sorry, I know Shurmurs history, I know what our record was, i know some of you donít like him and Iíve had moments of frustration, but some of his play designs (or maybe itís Shula) are just brilliant.

Then if change I want to see is us handing off to WRs in motion right at the snap like the Rams do. With guys like Beckham, Shep, Coleman and Latimer, and an RB threat like Barkley, we should be running a replica of the Rams offense. Just need a quicker qb like they have. Not fast btw, just quick.

They really need a more mobile QB, and I hope they draft or sign one for the future. It would take so much pressure off the line. If they get a little extra cap space they can use FA and the draft to address their other needs as well (LT/RT, pass rush, DB). Eli will need to restructure his deal or the team has no chance to succeed with him still at QB in 2019.

All that said, the difference between the 5-11 Giants and a 9-7 team in 2018 was the defense. They almost never made a big stop when the team needed it. If the Giants scored mid game, the D almost always gave a score right back. If the Giants scored to take a late lead in the game, the D would almost always turn around and give up a 70+ yard drive for a TD. Mid game the D was ok, but when it needed to pressure the QB or hold opposing receivers in key spots, it almost always failed.

Can't win with a D like that. We need new bodies.

Don't worry. He's got this.

i leave you guys alone for a year or so and this is what i come back to?

carry on.

Anyone opposed to this now? Am I still chicken little G or is the sky indeed falling?

I still think he can be real good for making this offense work with DJ and hopefully a healthier supporting cast next year. I'd keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    I still think he can be real good for making this offense work with DJ and hopefully a healthier supporting cast next year. I'd keep him.
    If I were him Iíd give up the play calling after the bye week. Maybe that helps the offense, because even though some play designs are actually not that bad, the offense seems to be getting worse as the game progresses. To me thatís just a matter of an HC whoís not fit to both handle play calling and playing HC, and thatís fine but then donít be stubborn and give it up

But the thing is, his play calling is what made and continues to make him as a HC. He hasn't shown to be particularly good as a CEO type of coach, but for the most part this year when we've been relatively healthy, he has proven that can design a system that works really well for DJ, and right now that's huge. Sure it has been tough to overcome a really bad defense and a still problematic, at least from time to time, OL. But the only way I'd let him keep his job is by letting him continue to be the play caller.

Iím not questioning his offensive system, Iím wondering whether heís able to adjust his play calling based on what the opposing defenses are giving him. Iím always impressed that there are HCs that seems to be able to do that, but letís not forget that a lot of coordinators need the time theyíre not on the field to evaluate and adjust. If I remember correctly, coughlin gave up play calling after a year of 2 right?

Maybe weíre having a different perspectief here, but to me our offense is not clicking at the moment. Sure, itís hard to lay down a good performance when youíre constantly making up for this D, but still. Whenís the last time youíve seen an opposing defense being mismatched and confused?

The offense needs to be better but itís not exactly awful. Saquan has been a non-factor since his injury, Shep has barely played, Tate missed 4 games and Engram has also missed time. And of course DJ is just a rookie.

Realistically on offense we need to improve the tackles and basically get healthy.

The defense on the other hand is a complete and utter disaster, despite all the young talent on the roster. I have a hard time believing all of these talented young guys suck. Either the system is not right for them, too complex for them, or Bettcher is just not a good teacher. Any way you slice it I donít see how he stays here beyond this season.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    The offense needs to be better but itís not exactly awful. Saquan has been a non-factor since his injury, Shep has barely played, Tate missed 4 games and Engram has also missed time. And of course DJ is just a rookie.

Realistically on offense we need to improve the tackles and basically get healthy.

The defense on the other hand is a complete and utter disaster, despite all the young talent on the roster. I have a hard time believing all of these talented young guys suck. Either the system is not right for them, too complex for them, or Bettcher is just not a good teacher. Any way you slice it I donít see how he stays here beyond this season.

Weíre 24th in yards per game, thatís not good enough for me at least...

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Anyone opposed to this now? Am I still chicken little G or is the sky indeed falling?

Iím 100% done with him, DG and possibly Mara. Thatís how far theyíve pushed me.

I get rebuilding but when you look at the failures each year that we miss the playoffs and the completely wrong way they addressed the issues....itís a colossal mess.

I want a sophisticated offense built for todayís NFL, not an offense built to win in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I want a sophisticated offense built for todayís NFL, not an offense built to win in 1990.

This is all fair. I'm all for a whole new coaching staff. I just think the offense, when you factor in all the real world issues of having a rookie QB, terrible tackles, Barkley and Shep and Engram and Tate all missing significant time - it hasn't performed horribly.

All in all though, I'm fine with a complete reboot. DG downward.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast