Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Mock Free Agency

This week is just going to be a little bit of fun as I'm going to use this Jon Heyman link to explore what the Pirates could theoretically do with 20-25 million in free agency.

We are going to start with a fairly straightforward scenario where the Pirates use free agency to try and fill the noticeable holes on the roster.

Jose Iglesias, SS: 2 years, 6-7 million per
    Lonnie Chisenhall, OF: 1 year, 4-5 million per
    Tony Sipp, LHRP: 2 years, 5 million per
    Jung Ho Kang: 1 year, 3 million per

Kang isn't on the list so I'm estimating what the Pirates might be able to resign him for. The combined expense here is 18-20 million so it fits nicely within our projected budget. Admittedly this is a fairly uninspiring offseason but it fills the holes it needs to fill.

C: Cervelli
    1B: Bell
    2B: Frazier
    3B: Moran
    SS: Iglesias
    LF: Dickerson
    CF: Marte
    RF: Chisenhall

C: Diaz
    IF: Newman
    IF: Kang
    OF: Luplow
    U: Reyes

SP: Taillon
    SP: Archer
    SP: Williams
    SP: Musgrove
    SP: Nova

RP: Vazquez
    RP: Kela
    RP: Crick
    RP: Sipp
    RP: Rodriguez
    RP: Burdi
    RP: Kingham

Tomorrow we will try and get a little more creative
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Today we are going to look at two aggressive scenarios. These are situations where the Pirates make a big splash signing and then fill in the rest of the roster with cheaper alternatives.

Michael Brantley, OF: 3 years, 14-15 AAV
    Jordy Mercer, SS: 1 year, 4-5 AAV
    Jorge De La Rosa: 1 year, 2 -3 AAV
    Logan Forsythe, IF 1 year 1-2 AAV

That puts the spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 21-25 million falling within our projected budget. Brantley is obviously the big name here and while its worth asking why the Pirates would spend big on an OF its worth remembering that Polanco's status is uncertain for a large part of the year and Dickerson is a free agent after the season.

SS: Mercer
    RF: Brantley

Bench: Diaz (C), Newman (IF), Forsythe (IF), Luplow (OF), Reyes (U)

Rotation: Taillon, Archer, Musgrove, Williams, Nova
    Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, De La Rosa, Burdi, Kingham

In the next section we are going to look at it from a perspective of a big time investment an infield position.

DJ LeMahieu, 2B: 3-4 years, 12.5-13 AAV
    Alcides Escobar, SS: 1 year, 1.5-2 AAV
    Melky Cabrera, OF: 1 year 3-3.5 AAV
    Ryan Madson, RHRP: 1 year, 4-5 AAV
    Jerry Belvins, LHRP: 1 year, 2-3 AAV

The range here is 23-26.5 so the top end is a little out of a projected budget but we will roll with it. I wanted to go a slightly different route than the other two so I added a bench bat and an extra relief pitcher here and dropped the extra infielder. I know Madson had an awful postseason but that makes him cheaper and adding him as a middle reliever has some upside and little risk.

2B: LeMahieu
    SS: Newman
    RF: Frazier

Bench: Diaz (C), Escobar (IF), Kramer (IF) Cabrera (OF), Reyes (U)

Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, Madson, Blevins, Kingham

Tomorrow we will explore some possibilities if the Pirates opt to go outside the expected route. So that basically means we are going to look at the possibility of adding corner infielders and/or starting pitchers.

I'm not considering the possibility of any trades until tomorrow so some of these rosters are going to look a little wonky. Remember today I'm focusing on what is probably the least likely scenarios but I figured it would still be fun.

Gio Gonzalez, SP: 3 years, 10-11 AAV
    Freddy Galvis, SS: 1 year, 4-6 AAV
    Lucas Duda, 1B: 1 year, 3-4 AAV
    Austin Jackson, OF: 1 year, 1.5-2 AAV

So here we are looking at a range in the neighborhood of 18.5 million to 23 million so definitely within my projected budget. Obviously this is an odd group of players for the team to add but I think its still something that improves the team overall.

SS: Newman
    RF: Jackson

Bench: Diaz (C), Duda (1B/PH), Galvis (MI), Kramer (IF), Luplow (OF)

Rotation: Taillon, Archer, Gonzalez, Musgrove, Williams
    Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, Brault, Nova, Kingham

Mike Moustakas, 3B: 3 years, 13-14 AAV
    Oliver Perez, LHRP: 1 year, 3.5-4 AAV

A smaller class concentrated on mainly just one big name. Total spending is 20.5 to 23 million so definitely within our range. I know I've already had Mercer in another mock but there aren't many cheap shortstops to choose from and their familiarity with him makes it seem more likely.

2B: Kramer
    3B: Moustakas
    RF: Frazier

Bench: Diaz (C), Moran (1B/3B), Newman (2B/SS), Luplow (OF), Reyes (U)

Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, Perez, Burdi, Kingham

Tomorrow I will look at possibilities assuming Cervelli and/or Nova are traded. I will be assuming the return is minor leaguers so it won't be included.

Today I'm going to look at three scenarios: Cervelli is traded, Nova is traded, both are traded. This increases the free agent budget by a fair amount to 31-36, 28-33 and 40-45 respectively. I'm still not going to do anything crazy like mocking it that the Pirates sign Manny Machado but it should give us a different look.

Cervelli Traded

Matt Wieters, C: 1 year, 4-5 AAV
    Adam Jones, OF: 2-3 years, 11-12.5 AAV
    Asdrubel Cabrera, IF: 1-2 years, 7 AAV
    Adam Warren, RHRP: 2-3 years, 5-6 AAV
    Hecto Santiago, LHRP: 1 year, 2-2.5 AAV

So the total spending here is 29 to 33 million so it definitely fits within our range. The big investment on Jones may seem surprising but I'm not convinced how well Polanco is going to be as shoulders can be tricky things plus he can slide in for Dickerson in 2020. Wieters is here to provide a veteran presence behind Diaz. Cabrera will get a chance to show he can still handle shortstop regularly but if he is stretched there his ability to play 2B or 3B will come in handy.

SS: Cabrera
    RF: Jones

Bench: Wieters (C), Osuna (1B/OF), Newman (IF), Luplow (OF), Reyes (U)

Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Warren, Santiago, Rodriguez, Kingham

Nova Traded

Drew Pomeranz, SP: 1 year, 5-6 AAV
    DJ LeMahieu, 2B: 3-4 years, 12.5-13 AAV
    Denard Span, OF: 1 year 5 AAV
    Freddy Galvis, SS: 1 year, 4-6 AAV
    Tony Barnette, LHRP: 1 year, 3 -3.5

Total spending here is between 29.5 million and 33.5 million so more or less in our range. I went a slightly different route here and made signings to actually push Adam Frazier into a reserve role. I doubt that is something the Pirates would ever do but I wanted to make this a little different.

2B: LeMahieu
    SS: Galvis
    RF: Span

Bench: Diaz (C), Newman (IF), Kramer (IF), Frazier (U), Reyes (U)

Rotation: Taillon, Archer, Musgrove, Williams, Pomeranz
    Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, Barnetee, Burdi, Kingham

Cervelli & Nova Traded

Andrew McCutchen, OF: 3-4 years, 13-15 AAV
    JA Happ, SP: 2-3 years, 13 AAV
    Justin Wilson, LHRP: 2-3 years, 7-8 AAV
    Jung Ho Kang, IF: 1 year, 3-4 AAV

Ok so for this one I went a little crazy and decided to just put the band back together. Insanely unrealistic but the point of these is to have some fun. Total spend in this scenario is 40 to 45 so a perfect match for our projected budget.

RF: McCutchen

Bench: Stallings (C), Kang (1B/3B), Newman (2B/SS), Luplow (OF), Reyes (U)

Rotation: Taillon, Archer, Happ, Musgrove, Williams
    Bullpen: Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Wilson, Rodriguez, Burdi, Kingham

Obviously in all of these scenarios I have not taken into account things such as how future payroll will be affected but these aren't meant to be perfect examples of what could happen they are meant to be fun things to think about. Tomorrow I will conclude this set with something a little different as I'll highlight the players that I think fits best with the Pirates. This won't be a mock but rather just a list of guys I see as good fits. There should be a lot of overlap between the mocks and that list.

Today I'm going to try and discuss the free agents I think are the best fits for the Pirates.

Shortstops
    This in my mind is the Pirates most pressing need. They do have Newman and Tucker who might be able to handle the position at some point this year but going into the season without an alternative would be a mistake. Manny Machado represents the top end of the market and then there is a steep drop off. In reality there are probably just three free agents who are solid defensively at the position and won't crush you with a weak bat.

Jose Iglesias: 2 years, 6-7 AAV
    Freddy Galvis: 1 year 4-6 AAV
    Jordy Mercer: 1 year 4-5 AAV

The rest of the group are either all glove guys like Adeiny Hechavarria or are infielders who are a bit stretched at shortstop. We will discuss them next. All three players provide a similar offensive profile Iglesias being more contact oriented while the other two have a bit of power. Iglesias is by far the superior defender.

Infielders
    I am going to lean towards second baseman here as that is where there is more of an evident need than at third base (especially after yesterday's news but more on that later). There is a distinct top of the market here but no one who is out of the Pirates range per se though there are obviously some I would be shocked if they signed.

DJ LeMahieu: 3-4 years, 12.5-13 AAV
    Daniel Murphy: 2 years, 9-10 AAV
    Jed Lowrie: 2 years, 7.5-11 AAV
    Asdrubal Cabrera: 1-2 years, 7 AAV
    Josh Harrison: 2 years, 5-6 AAV
    Brian Dozier: 1 year, 6.5-9 AAV
    Ian Kinsler: 1 year, 4-6 AAV
    Neil Walker: 1 year, 2-4 AAV
    Logan Forsythe: 1 year, 1-2 AAv
    Daniel Descalso: No prediction (I'll say something like 2 years, 5-7 AAV)

This is a big list and I did that intentionally. Looking at the list while I really like LeMahieu I must say he is overpriced on such a deal and I would also stay away from Murphy as he seems a bit stretched at second. Probably my favorite option on the list is Cabrera as he also has the ability to play a bit of shortstop and could potentially help out there. One could say Lowrie might be able to as well but he seems like he would be more stretched there. As for the rest of the list taking a roll of the dice on Dozier might be worth it though I'd prefer someone with more versatility but on a one year deal in the 6-7 million range he'd be hard to pass up.

Outfield
    We are going to ignore the top of the market here which I'll define as Harper, Brantley, McCutchen, Pollock, Jones and Markakis. The reasoning behind this is that while it might be a good idea for the Pirates to be proactive in the market I only see them looking for someone to fill in for Polanco and that will be someone who comes with a low likely 1 year price tag.

Carlos Gonzalez: 1 year, 6.5-7 AAV
    Gerardo Para: 1 year, 5-6 AAV
    Denard Span: 1 year, 5 AAV
    Lonnie Chisenhall: 1 year, 4-5 AAV
    Jon Jay: 1-2 years, 4 AAV
    Hunter Pence: 1 year, 4 AAV
    Melky Cabrera, 1 year 3-3.5 AAV
    Curtis Granderson: 1 year, 2.75-3.5 AAV
    Carlos Gomez: 1 year 2-2.5 AAV
    Austin Jackson: 1 year 1.5-2 AAV

I could go on with guys like Cameron Maybin and Jose Bautista but I think that is a long enough list to get the point across. Obviously you'd like to add some power here but none of these guys are big power options. Carlos Gonzalez is probably the best power hitter out of the bunch but he is obviously on the decline. Other names I like on that list are Span, Chisenhall and Granderson.

Left Handed Relief
    This is the last position I'm going to focus on because while the Pirates could add elsewhere the right handed relief market is just too big to explore and everywhere else is just too dependent on what else happens. I'm going to exclude Britton and Miller from the list.

Justin Wilson: 2-3 years, 7-8 AAV
    Tony Sipp: 2 years, 5 AAV
    Oliver Perez: 1 year, 3.5-4 AAV
    Francisco Liriano: 1 year, 3.5-4 AAV
    Hector Santiago: 1 year, 2-2.5 AAV
    Jerry Blevins: 1 year 2-3 AAV
    Jorge De La Rosa: 1 year 2-3 AAV

There are plenty more guys like Duke, Dickman and Loup but we will stop there for now. Wilson is probably too pricey but Sipp seems like he'd be a near ideal fit. Of the rest of the name a reunion with Oliver Perez would make sense. The bottom of the list is really hit or miss but the name that jumps out to me is De La Rosa but that is because of Huntington's efforts to sign him a few years ago.