Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Lightbulb Horst Q&A with JSonline about exercising player options for Maker and Wilson.

On Tuesday, the Milwaukee Bucks announced they had exercised options on center Thon Maker and forward D.J. Wilson, choosing to keep each player under contract for the 2019-'20 season. By picking up the options, the Bucks will pay Maker approximately $3.6 million next season and Wilson will receive a salary of about $3 million in 2019-'20.

Those salary figures are slotted by the NBA's rookie-scale contract. The contracts of players picked in the first round of the NBA draft are guaranteed for the first two seasons followed by team options for the third and fourth years. The league-wide deadline for deciding on rookie-scale contract options is the end of October.

Neither player has made much of an impact this season. Maker, who has been a rotation-level player in the past and played a key role in the playoffs each of the past two years, has appeared in just three of the first eight games to open his third season. Wilson, coming off a quiet rookie campaign, has been sidelined by a right hamstring strain since early in training camp and has not yet been active for a game.

RELATED:Maker 'starving' for opportunities after 2 games inactive

Bucks general manager Jon Horst recently spoke with the Journal Sentinel about the decisions to keep Maker and Wilson under contract for next season.

Q. What is it about Maker and Wilson that made you decide to pick up their extensions?

A. We talk about Bucks DNA, those guys fit it. They have a willingness to sacrifice, they have toughness and grit, they have high basketball IQs, theyíre both, obviously, very talented. Going off of that, I would say Bud (coach Mike Budenholzer) and his staff have a great track record of developing young players. Even though neither of them had consistent minutes and really in D.J.ís case in his first year didnít play a lot at all, we still think thereís a lot of development upside there with those guys. Theyíre good guys, they work hard and they can play, too. Weíre fortunate that we have Brook (Lopez) and Ersan (Ilyasova) and Giannis (Antetokounmpo), and Christian Woodís kind of come on, but we still want depth at that position and both guys can play, so they can give us depth at that position as well.

Q. When it comes to Wilson, people on the outside havenít really seen him except for maybe a few games with the Wisconsin Herd or in summer league. Thatís pretty much been it. What is that youíve seen in him that made you decide heís a player you wanted to commit to for another year?

A. I think, first of all, he was good in Oshkosh and he was good in summer league. Beyond summer league, he had a great summer with us. Playing in (Budenholzer's) system, I think, has unlocked him some and weíre excited to see what he can do. Is there some unknown? Of course, there are always unknowns with young players. There is a commitment there, but itís relatively minimal compared to what you pay to have guys that can give you depth and value on your roster. We believe in D.J. We believe that heís a guy that can play for us not only this year but also going forward. Weíre not ready to move on from that by any means yet and weíre excited, really, for how heís going to fit into Budís system.

RELATED:Bucks' D.J. Wilson trying to get out of the shadows in Year 2

Q. With all the uncertainty with this coming off-season with players whose contracts are up or who have options, is it harder to decide youíre going to commit money now not knowing whatís going to come next?

A. Itís harder to commit money, of course, but you still have to have players. Itís not like, "Oh my gosh, weíre going to have an expensive roster so we have to pick six guys to pay and thatís it." We have to have a roster. We have to have 13 to 15 guys on our roster and two-ways no matter what. So you want to have quality players on quality contracts. Both Thon and D.J., for us, represent quality players on quality contracts at the numbers we decided to pick up.

Q. Some might say Wilson hasnít shown anything on the court and youíre just keeping him because he was your first draft pick as general manager and you canít admit you got the pick wrong. How would you respond to that?

A. I would say they donít know me very well. I have no ego in this business. I want to do whatís right for the franchise and keeping D.J. has nothing to do with me trying to prove that I was right. The first part of your statement is that D.J. hasnít done anything yet and theyíd be right. Theyíre exactly right. He hasnít done anything yet. He played like 70 minutes in his rookie year. I donít think we know if D.J.ís going to be great and I donít think we know if D.J.ís going to be a bust. I think we know D.J.ís a great person, heís got a high basketball IQ, heís willing to sacrifice for his teammates, he fits into Budís system, he had a tremendous summer and he works really hard, so he has an opportunity to develop and be a good player on a good contract and thatís what we want to have in our franchise.
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...on/1845920002/

Wilson is just gonna be $3M in dead money which could of helped with signing our legit core pieces next summer.

Bucks have to stop over paying for average bench pieces. Example..... Plumlee which we got lucky and dumped for expiring's and stretch out Hawes yet he was a expiring. Delly lost a step before the ink dried. Henson finally playing his worth. Snell on a 3 year deal is a bit gross but he played a little bit better last two games. But still.

Telly well he got forced into injury retirement. Ersan been decent for $7M per. Brolo on a discount been decent other then against Boston. But Middleton,Bledsoe,Brolo all **** the bed versus Boston and we were still in that game while shooting way less threes and missing most threes.

I'd draw a line for RFA Brogdon as well. $7M per or so is about as high as I would go. Maybe $8M per. Any more forget it. Best to deal Brogdon at trade deadline to be used as a asset to dump any of Delly or Snell for a expiring deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Bucks have to stop over paying for average bench pieces. Example..... Plumlee which we got lucky and dumped for expiring's and stretch out Hawes yet he was a expiring. Delly lost a step before the ink dried. Henson finally playing his worth. Snell on a 3 year deal is a bit gross but he played a little bit better last two games. But still.

Telly well he got forced into injury retirement. Ersan been decent for $7M per. Brolo on a discount been decent other then against Boston. But Middleton,Bledsoe,Brolo all **** the bed versus Boston and we were still in that game while shooting way less threes and missing most threes.

I'd draw a line for RFA Brogdon as well. $7M per or so is about as high as I would go. Maybe $8M per. Any more forget it. Best to deal Brogdon at trade deadline to be used as a asset to dump any of Delly or Snell for a expiring deal.
    Everything correct, but your obsession with Brogdon... get over it..., see the larger picture... it gets annoying other than being unjustifiable...

.. Horst has done lots of mistakes, but not intentionally... once he gets better advisors him not being a basketball guy, he can help the team... However, some of the mistakes the FO has made, can prove crucial if they are not corrected asap...

Brogdon isn't a obsession with me. I thought he was awesome first year. Seems his value has already peaked on rookie contract. He doesn't move the needle over $10M per. Most likely we be lucky to keep 2 of the 4 of Middleton,Bledsoe,Lopez,Brogdon. Unless Lopez takes another super discount. So it comes down to over paying average bench guys like Delly,Henson,Snell,Plumlee,Telly. Brogdon could be the next guy in that boat next summer as well. Good chance we may have to pay Middleton at $30M to $35M per on his super max. Not sure Bledsoe settles for $15M per.