Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    I dunno if I buy the metcalf hype. Physical specimen though Iím tired of people claiming 1.9% body fat. Pro bodybuilders get down to about 3% and itís disgusting to look at, impressive as metcalf is, heís not even in the same ballpark. Regardless, physical specimens donít always make the best football players and him breaking his neck scares me about longevity.
    I agree with this. He is another one of those guys that people fell in love with his combine numbers. yes, he had some prodcution at Ole Miss but, like you said he had a neck injury and those are always scary to deal with.

I honestly don't think that Metcalf gets past Buffalo. It's a deep enough WR class where you can honestly wait to get what you deem the best value.

Of all the guys at the top of the draft (outside of qb), metcalf would be the guy I'd be most upset if we took. His tape isnt great and his agility scores were bad. Someone will draft him highly because there's only so many dudes that can run that fast at that size with his vert. I just hope that somebody isn't green Bay. Athleticism is important at wr, but of you look around the league at some of the top WRs, there are some freaks like Julio, but being a freak isn't a requirement. Guys like AB, davante, juju and theilen didn't test out crazy well. Heck nuk Hopkins tested pretty poorly at his combine too.

There's legit WRs I like better than metcalf who will likely be available in the 2nd. And that's not even a cost analysis. I think there's guys who will be available in the 2nd that I would consider straight up over metcalf if he were somehow also available in the 2nd.

There are quite a few interesting WR's in this draft I think some underrated names in this draft are Kelvin Harmon, he may not have a ton of speed, but he does most things well. Once you get past the slight lack of speed I have a hard time knocking his game. His speed is not a crippling factor he ran a 4.6 I think, Davante ran a 4.56. I think he is perhaps the most polished receiver in this draft. May not blow you away with athleticism, but he's is going to be a good pick. Also, I think he could be on his radar he can block as well that has to be appealing to LaFleur. I don't think most people have talked about him, but he may be our best choice out there. I know some will say he has skills that are already on this team, but I think thats a bit irrelevant. Harmon may not be the sexy pick like a Butler, Metcalf, Harry, Deebo, or AJ Brown, but there is a good chance he will be better than some of those names because their some of their luster is in future stock.

I also really like a guy like Hunter Renfrow in the late rounds. He's got the make up to become a fan favorite type here, may not be the best or most athletic, but Renfrow has that slot, can go over the middle when we need to use shorter passes to move down the field. Renfrow is not flashy, but is the perfect WR3/4 type guy who won't let you down. Renfrow even if he does not make a huge offensive impact could be a perfect pick because he could offer special teams value as well. Renfrow makes a ton of sense if they are happy with the group they have in house.

Read an interesting piece the Packers will be working Adams out of the slot quite a bit this season. Obviously they won't work him exclusevly there, but I think think to an extent does put a daggar in the mentality the Packers will be looking for a slot type guy. I would argue they are looking for polish over flash, versatility over specialty, and also argue intelligence over athleticism. For me as my last point would be Harmon makes a ton of sense for what they are likely looking for. A soft handed, polished, smart player. When I look at the receivers in this draft when I see those I would like chalk up Deebo, Harmon, AJ Brown, Ridley, Arcega-Whiteside on the top end.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Read an interesting piece the Packers will be working Adams out of the slot quite a bit this season. Obviously they won't work him exclusevly there, but I think think to an extent does put a daggar in the mentality the Packers will be looking for a slot type guy. I would argue they are looking for polish over flash, versatility over specialty, and also argue intelligence over athleticism. For me as my last point would be Harmon makes a ton of sense for what they are likely looking for. A soft handed, polished, smart player. When I look at the receivers in this draft when I see those I would like chalk up Deebo, Harmon, AJ Brown, Ridley, Arcega-Whiteside on the top end.
    It'll be interesting if we draft a wr. Historically, I would agree with what you said. Jordy, Jones, adams, Cobb and Jennings all fit the mold of versatile, smart, productive WRs who were good all around athletes but not really freaks by any means. But last year was sort of the opposite. Maybe that was just because they were late round guys, but thoas guys were all pretty top shelf athletes. J'mon had a bad 40, but was a really strong athlete elsewhere and there was some buzzing that some of the hand times for him were much better than his official combine time. So it's possible the packers times him as a decent amount faster than the official report. But EQ and MVS were both freak size/speed guys.

So it'll be interesting to see how gute drafts WRs. To be fair, Ted had a tendency to take late round fliers on phenomenal size/speed WRs late, Janis and Charles Johnson are good example. Davis as well was a speed guy. So it's possible that gute keeps the same mentality, which was draft versatile, well rounded athletes at wr early and take your late round dart throws on physical freaks. But it's hard to say since in his first draft as GM he only took physical freaks in the later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    It'll be interesting if we draft a wr. Historically, I would agree with what you said. Jordy, Jones, adams, Cobb and Jennings all fit the mold of versatile, smart, productive WRs who were good all around athletes but not really freaks by any means. But last year was sort of the opposite. Maybe that was just because they were late round guys, but thoas guys were all pretty top shelf athletes. J'mon had a bad 40, but was a really strong athlete elsewhere and there was some buzzing that some of the hand times for him were much better than his official combine time. So it's possible the packers times him as a decent amount faster than the official report. But EQ and MVS were both freak size/speed guys.

So it'll be interesting to see how gute drafts WRs. To be fair, Ted had a tendency to take late round fliers on phenomenal size/speed WRs late, Janis and Charles Johnson are good example. Davis as well was a speed guy. So it's possible that gute keeps the same mentality, which was draft versatile, well rounded athletes at wr early and take your late round dart throws on physical freaks. But it's hard to say since in his first draft as GM he only took physical freaks in the later rounds.
    It certainly does make some sense to avoid rushing to nab a WR, but on the contrary this WR group is probably going to be the deepest we will see over the next couple seasons. What leads me to think this though is they need at least one plan b in place. A guy who has good hand and can learn quick. I can see the contrary arguement as well.

I can't see them going for a big atheltic guy early unless they are sure they are a slam dunk. Taking Moore, St. Brown, MVS it was a low risk-high reward. So far both MVS and St. Brown have begun to show that reward. I think he did as you closed with draft big/fast guys late. The difference was two of Gute's guys had ore success than those others combined in year one. To this point I don't think Gute went against the mold here. He had to shore up the secondary nor were there a huge amount of can't miss receivers in that draft, nor is there a can't miss in this one. There was no way around it. So Gute being more aggressive doubled down at CB. However, I think this draft will be far more indicative of his drafting strategy because he's not handcuffed to take a certain position over another. You would chalk probably must draft positions DL, OL, TE, Edge, and WR, but if you don't take one they will survive as well. Now like you I'm not convinced they look to WR they are pretty deep despite the commentators saying otherwise with Adams, St. Brown, MVS, Moore, Allison, and Kumerow. They could easily move forward with this group. LaFleur's system is supposed to be WR friendly and there shouldn't be a curve for the young WR's. However, if you look at the Packers they generally for the past 30 years have run with 2 solid WR's. I think outside of Adams they have a group of outstanding 3/4 receivers, but no #2. However, I do think MVS and St. Brown show some potential to slide into that role. Who knows maybe Moore or Kumerow emerge.

I agree with you because we don't know enough about Gute. So the Packers are extremly hard to project.

That's where TE becomes interesting to me. If you get a TE who can be a threat in the passing game, it adds a weapon to the offense and might give you another year to develop the young WRs.

I also wonder if we look at an offensive weapon type of guy in this draft. At his best thata what Cobb was. He was a legit good slot wr, but he could do alot of things. Perhaps we pass on a traditional wr but we take a guy at some point (maybe a Campbell type if he falls) that can play some wr, lineup in the backfield, be the jet sweep and bubble screen guy and be our returner.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    That's where TE becomes interesting to me. If you get a TE who can be a threat in the passing game, it adds a weapon to the offense and might give you another year to develop the young WRs.

I also wonder if we look at an offensive weapon type of guy in this draft. At his best thata what Cobb was. He was a legit good slot wr, but he could do alot of things. Perhaps we pass on a traditional wr but we take a guy at some point (maybe a Campbell type if he falls) that can play some wr, lineup in the backfield, be the jet sweep and bubble screen guy and be our returner.
    I totally agree, I will be interested to see if they go after on of the Iowa guys or bite on a guy like Sternberger who has a similar upside. His offensive upside is huge, he could be there in the 2nd. Projections have him as early as NE at 32 and as low as us in the 3rd. The TE's in this draft are so interesting. I think they have to take a TE not many times in the draft are their four TE's in the top 50 in a deep draft. I know everyone has a favorite, but Fant, Hock, Smith, and Sternberger all have the potential to be game changing TE's. I would not be shock to see all 4 ranking in the top 10 for TE's within a year or two.

Campbell would be interesting, there are a couple they could get creative with like Campbell.

I know I'm beating the dead horse here if they don't want to go WR early, I still think Hunter Renfrow makes a ton of sense in the 5th round or later. He looks like the perfect fit. Clutch, reliable, smart, and will become a quick fan favorite. I kind of see him like the John Kuhn of receivers essentially in he is there when you need him, will produce, won't let you down, and you don't lose sleep because you didn't get him on the field. I don't think he will ever be a superstar, but simply a good receiver who will produce and you can rely on. I think you can use Renfrow in a variety of capacities as well. We have guys who can stretch the field, but few who you line up and move the chains with and know you can count on them. If they think MVS, St. Brown, and or Moore are going to take the next step I would love to see them tab Renfrow.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 04-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.

I don't know, I think it's critical to draft a No.2/1 WR to give Rodgers some weapons. When Rodgers was at his best, we were loaded with quality WR's and now with Cobb gone the cupboard is pretty bare. Don't get me wrong, I see potential for Scantling and St Brown, but either of them being a No.2 Wr is at least another 1.5 years away. Not to mention that Lefleur likes to use the slot a lot more than McCarthy.

I think AJ Brown at 30 is the best pick we could make in this entire draft. He immediately becomes WR 2 and in a couple years competes with Adams for the No. 1 spot.

I like aj brown a ton too, but it's always dangerous to assume a guy is going to come in and be a stud right away. It really doesn't happen super often. The 2014 wr class was loaded. But since then, starting in 2015, only 2 guys have gone over 1000 yards as rookies and those were Cooper and Michael Thomas in '15 and' 16. Only about 2 guys on average per year go over 800 yards. So rookie WRs don't come in and dominate all that often.

And that being said, as much as I like brown and think there's a role for him, I'm also not convinced brown would beat out allison or even MVS or EQ. I'm not against a wr by any means, but I'm not positive any of them come in a grab 70% of more of the snaps at wr. Could definitely be part of a rotation, but it's somewhat doubtful he would takeover immediately barring some injuries.

The Packers brought Drew Lock in for a top 30 visit and wanted to bring in Daniel Jones but, they couldn't get anything scheduled

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    The Packers brought Drew Lock in for a top 30 visit and wanted to bring in Daniel Jones but, they couldn't get anything scheduled
    I love this strategy here. I know a lot of fans don't like it, but it's great they are doing their homework here. I am not advocating taking a QB, and I don't think they are looking for one, but if a QB who has the right value falls to them I feel like they need to pull the trigger. I saw nothing from Deshon Kizer last season which led me to believe he has any value outside of what we saw for Brett Hundley. With Rodgers being hurt in some capacity in the past two seasons you have to at least think in advance Aaron may not make it to the 4th year of this deal. If Drew Lock is sitting there at 30 or later it is an interesting question there. Jones in the second the arguement is there, Finley in the 3rd, and if Will Grier is there late 4th or after you have a discussion to make. I don't think anything is imminent, but they are without a question have a similar discussion to what I just wrote. I don't think they are going to pull the trigger on a QB, but if the oppertunity presents itself there likely is a discussion, and if the value is right they might pull the trigger. I don't see such slides for the first three listed, but I could see Will Grier making a disccusion interesting. If not this year, in the next season or two they will be looking for a solution to be Rodgers heir. We can all dream of Trevor Lawrence, but the reality is they will likely need to get a high potential QB and develop him. I understand the whole benefit of a rookie deal, but getting a guy in who can start as soon as Rodgers hangs up his cleats will be far more valuable than a couple million dollars in savings in my view. Again, don't think this is the year they add a QB, but this obviously shows they are doing their homework as they should and if the value is right it's possible.

I'm hearing the Packers likely are not going to make a significant addition at WR in the draft. There is a buzz around the Packers being one of the teams which do value Metcalf with a 1st round grade, if his health clears out. I know some people are not keen on him just reporting what I heard. However, the Packers are extremly high on TJ Hockenson. Also Chris Lindstrom is a guy I keep hearing connected to the Packers as well. A week out from the draft and I think no one really knows how this draft is going to go down.

i'm not a big fan of taking a QB early this year. Yeah Kizer didn't seem to do much but, he was brought in when McCarthy was on his way out. lets see what LaFleur can do with him and just kind of hope that we don't need to use him. I don't know how many teams actually have a guy they can bring in right off the bench when their starter goes down and can produce.

I understand where some of the "experts" are coming from Rodgers is the same age now as Favre was when Arod was drafted. Rodgers has said before he wants to play into his 40's and as long as he can stay healthy I don't see why he shouldn't be able to. If you draft a guy like Drew Lock who is 23 or 24 in the 1st round he gets 4 years with a 5th year option so 5 years in GB. If Rodgers plays until age 40 (which is how long his contract is set up) Lock is going to be 27-28 and will be on a one year contract and you have to decide whether or not he is your franchise or you need to move on.

if you force my hand and say you have to take a QB, I wait until next year. that draft class looks a lot better than this one.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast