Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2018-19 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Here is the thread for general news, rumors and discussion for your team's off-season. Remember big news should go in it's own thread.

Tigers suck and won't be active in FA. No one will be traded except maybe Nick C if they can't reach an extension.

hoog will plead for better international scouting

Start by sending some scouts to watch the caravans coming up through Mexico. I'm sure there are a few good Stone throwers in the group.

Tigers should put a claim on Torreyes from the Yanks would be a good low cost pickup and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    hoog will plead for better international scouting
    Well, not scouting but more signings. Tigers did sign a few (#15 rated Jose De La Rosa- OF $1.8M, #19 rated Adinso Reyes- SS $1.5M, Angel Cruz- OF $400K, and Geury Estevez- SS $300K) but left $1M on the table they could have spent or traded to other teams. Still need to get smarter in the international market but getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRulz66 View Post
    Tigers should put a claim on Torreyes from the Yanks would be a good low cost pickup and fit.
    I like Ronald Torreyes also but the big name right now for me on the DFA side is Adam McCreery from Atlanta. Huge LHP (6'9") who seems to be getting better as he ages. Could be a starter or bullpen guy. I think the Tigers need to jump right away.

While I'm on a roll, there are a number of Rule V first baseman and pitchers I like. Here are the guys I've dug up to take:

Josh Ockimey- 1B, Boston
    Roberto Ramos- 1B, Colorado
    Jose Marmolejos- 1B, Washington
    Jhonathan Diaz- LHP, Boston
    Riley Ferrell- RHP, Astros
    Art Warren- RHP, Mariners
    Richie Martin- SS, A's

All the first baseman listed are LH hitters with power. I figure since they need to stay on the roster they can be the LH platoon or DH type their first year while they get their feet wet. Diaz is a really nice LHP who could work out of the bullpen (an occasional start maybe) his first year then we can decide where we want him once he's on our roster. Ferrell is a good looking RHP from a good organization who wouldn't be on this list. Warren and Martin are injury guys from last year that we could stash for most of the season.

I also am interested by McCreery. Saw he was put on waivers after Torreyes last night both players should be looked at.Martin from the Oakland would be a good look too as we need a SS.

Well, Matt Moore is on board. Just announced his signing with approval of physical.

cheap and 1 year deal. I like it. Could be gold or could be garbage.

I'm already mad if we don't trade him lol

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Well, Matt Moore is on board. Just announced his signing with approval of physical.
    I mean.....I don't hate it but the last season screamed minor league contract with ST invite.
    No risk move but I am not expecting much at all here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    I mean.....I don't hate it but the last season screamed minor league contract with ST invite.
    No risk move but I am not expecting much at all here.
    Agreed Mark. Not expecting much but he could surprise. Because he's a lefty, he got a MLB contract rather than the ST invite/Minor contract. I had him listed 5th on my 1-2 year options in FA: Gio Gonzalez (thought he would be good on a two year cheaper deal- interested to see what he really gets out there), Wade Miley, Bret Anderson, and Derek Holland.

I'm still wondering if the Yanks will come at Fulmer again this off season. They seem to really like him. Even with the year he had, he's cheaper, controllable, and young. If we could somehow pull out a deal for Florial that would be ideal. The Yanks have an abundance of outfielders and might be willing to part with the young stud. If not, they still are loaded with minor league talent. Here are few names I would target: Jonathan Logisiga RHP, Michael King RHP, Antonio Cabello OF, Trevor Stephan RHP, Garrett Whitlock RHP, Chance Adams RHP, Erik Swanson RHP. If you could get a couple (2-3) of these guys, I would still do it for Fulmer. The risk of him getting injured again outweighs my thoughts he will succeed and stay healthy.

Casty is also an interesting case. I am a huge fan of this young man and he seems to be getting better each year. However, our payroll situation/mess is just working against keeping him. There are three teams I targeted to possibly go after him in a trade: Houston, Atlanta, and Toronto. Here's some prospects I'd like to tap into if we do trade Nick:

Atlanta- Drew Waters OF, Joey Wentz LHP, and Kyle Muller LHP

Houston- Seth Beer OF/1B, Corbin Martin RHP, Rogelio Armenteros RHP, JD Davis 3B

Toronto- Kevin Smith SS/3B, TJ Zeuch RHP, Cavin Biggio 2B/OF, Hector Perez RHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast