Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here are some names we should still be keeping an eye on in free agency. I think all these players could not only help during the season but should give us an option to trade at the deadline. Most of them are outfielders due to the projected trade of Nick C before the off season is over. Some of the guys are reclamation projects we would hope for turning things back in time when they were more productive, some are older but may have value to playoff teams in the stretch at the deadline, but all would be one year contract possibilities. I have also put my projection on the one year cost. I have name, age, position, side they pitch/hit from, and projected one year cost. Some will have my thought process added in.

Josh Harrison (31), 2B/3B/OF, RH bat, $10M- he will be a hard get but would be a great trade piece at the deadline. A little on the expensive side but his versatility will be what sells him.

Nick Markakis (35), Corner OF/DH/1B, LH bat, $10M- he’s getting up there in age but still produces. He seems to be a good clubhouse guy and would be easily tradeable at the deadline if he stays productive as teams will be looking for a veteran LH bat.

Adam Jones (33), OF/DH, RH bat, $10-12M- another costly guy but could get us some prospects at the deadline. Would fill in nicely for a year to replace Nick in RF but could fill in wherever we needed him in the outfield.

Gerardo Parra (32), OF/1B/DH, LH bat, $7M- good solid player who gets on base and adds a very nice versatile LH experienced bat to the trade deadline. Seems to be a good clubhouse guy as well and could get him at a good price.

Derek Dietrich (29), OF/1B/2B/3B, LH bat, $3-5M- my favorite choice here due to his flexibility in the field and his LH bat. He’s a gamer who comes to play and wouldn’t bring as much back as the others but would certainly intrigue other teams at the deadline with the tools he has and the LH bat.

Avisail Garcia (28), OF/DH, RH bat, $5M- Probably the biggest boom for the dollar possibility but also the biggest risk. What is he? Had a great 2017 and an awful 2018 but also has injury issues. Miggy would love it but is he worth the price tag?

Carlos Gonzalez (33), OF/DH, LH bat, $5M- Dude was awesome at one time but now he’s just average. Could he rise up again getting a fresh change of scenery or will that just hurt him more leaving Coors Field? That is the gamble you take.

Al Avila hopes that the Tigers can start spending at the earliest in 2021. He said Chris Ilitch is on board. Hopes by then the Tigers are like the White Sox or Phillies right now and they can proceed to more competitive baseball. He believes 2021 is the best case scenario.
    via Jeff Riger

So basically this team is going to sit on their hands and hope to God a majority of their prospects pan out? It's okay guys, nobody needs to give a **** about the Tigers (including going to games) for the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    via Jeff Riger

So basically this team is going to sit on their hands and hope to God a majority of their prospects pan out? It's okay guys, nobody needs to give a **** about the Tigers (including going to games) for the next two years.
    Don't forget racking up the Matt Moores, Tyson Ross, and Kaleb Cowart hoping they will net us a marginal prospect. We have nothing to trade that anyone wants in a soft market. They have to spend or hope for extremely good luck on prospects. Castellanos will net us an uninspiring package near or less than what we got for JD. HOPEFULLY Fulmer has a rebound season and we can net a good return on him but I think that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Don't forget racking up the Matt Moores, Tyson Ross, and Kaleb Cowart hoping they will net us a marginal prospect. We have nothing to trade that anyone wants in a soft market. They have to spend or hope for extremely good luck on prospects. Castellanos will net us an uninspiring package near or less than what we got for JD. HOPEFULLY Fulmer has a rebound season and we can net a good return on him but I think that ship has sailed.
    I mean I understand the point of tanking but out right telling us we are not going to do anything for two years is basically saying don't watch. You don't need to break the bank for Harper or Machado but you can still sign a guy for competitve prices and still potentially field a decent return. You need to field something to get people to go basically. Supposedly the Tigers also watched a workout with Adrian Gonzalez recently and was impressed with him, so I expect he could be another dumpster diving/loterry ticket signing later. Agreed on Fulmer since he is probably gone soon too. That said do I expect Avila to get a decent return on him? Probably not. The J.D. Martinez trade looks worse based on the prospect performance thus far from the guys we got from Arizona. In the interest of fairness that response is from what I read online, I have not actually seen them play.

The sad thing is I think Avila was saying this as optimism. Like it's his way of saying the team will be able to compete by 2021 and that's when we'll become buyers. He's not entirely wrong though, no need to jump the gun and buy before the team is ready to compete, but at the same time, why put that out there?

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    The sad thing is I think Avila was saying this as optimism. Like it's his way of saying the team will be able to compete by 2021 and that's when we'll become buyers. He's not entirely wrong though, no need to jump the gun and buy before the team is ready to compete, but at the same time, why put that out there?
    Al Al talks way too much. I just get baffled on HOW he spends what little money they have. Guys like Mercer and Moore while relatively cheap serve zero function. I can't see either of them doing anything to allow us to spin them off.

I wish they'd spend a LITTLE more money to get some guys who sit on the vine too long in FA. Like Moustakas last year. Then your odds of spinning him off for something of value increases significantly. We have virtually nothing that will net us anything. Maybe if Fulmer has a bounceback. We are going to get JD'd at best on Castellanos.

I'd like to see them "invest" a little money as opposed to spend it in big chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Al Al talks way too much. I just get baffled on HOW he spends what little money they have. Guys like Mercer and Moore while relatively cheap serve zero function. I can't see either of them doing anything to allow us to spin them off.

I wish they'd spend a LITTLE more money to get some guys who sit on the vine too long in FA. Like Moustakas last year. Then your odds of spinning him off for something of value increases significantly. We have virtually nothing that will net us anything. Maybe if Fulmer has a bounceback. We are going to get JD'd at best on Castellanos.

I'd like to see them "invest" a little money as opposed to spend it in big chunks.
    Oh we're absolutely getting nothing for Nick C, it's a bummer, if some team views him as a reclamation 3B guy then good luck, we'll take whatever you'll give, but as a corner OF with average offensive talent and limited defensive talent he's just a guy

edit: here's the MLBTR link from today if anyone was curious: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...sks-trade.html

Avila is shooting for the moon again, expecting a "top level" prospect

I don't mind him SAYING he wants one, I mean set the bar high, but history tells us he wants the moon and won't settle for anything less, unless he legitimately feels he's a QO candidate. and we'll get an awesome pick, which seems insane but we'll see I guess
    Last edited by GuySir; 01-27-2019 at 01:24 AM.

If you can't get a top 100 prospect for Nick C you keep him for the season and tag him imo.

I don't know, would anyone else here rather have Wade Miley (LH) rather than Tyson Ross (RH) for $1M less? I sure the heck would have liked that deal. What about Freddie Galvis for $550K less than Jodi Mercer? Yep , me too. He's younger and has more power. These are some of the things that have taken place after Avila signed Moore, Ross, and Mercer to contracts. Avila just doesn't seem to want to play the waiting game on FA. There are still some really nice FA players out there who will sign for less or right around what we got Ross for and Mercer for. Heck, we could probably just kept Iggy for less money than we paid Mercer, judging by the market. I can't help but wonder how much Mercer would have gotten if we waited to this point? My guess is around $4M or less. Ross? Judging by the Miley signing, probably $3.5M.

My point here is not to quibble about the players we signed but to point out how poor of a GM Avila is and continues to be. HE shows his hand way to often in trades and in FA he seems to like to jump in and sign right away then back completely off and do nothing. The doing nothing after the original signings is what really burns me. I mean right now he could make a play for Gio Gonzalez or Brett Anderson, who could bring back some decent prospects at the deadline. Instead, he has Moore already locked into a rotation spot. Why not move Moore back or have him compete with Gonzalez or Anderson? Get as many chips as you can for the deadline. This year, as he already has said, is another wasted year and will be designated to the rebuild so get more chips to use. There are still decent relievers you can get for cheap in Tyler Clippard, Drew Storen, or LH relievers who are hot commodities in Jake Diekman or Tony Sipp. How about bringing in Boone Logan on a minor league deal. He might pay off? He also needs to focus on deals in the field. I mentioned Derek Dietrich who is probably sitting at around $3M right now or less. The guy can play anywhere and allow Goodrum to stay at 2B or challenge him at 2B. Great value at that price. Gerrado Parra is another guy you could flip later and at minimal cost. You could go on and on with players still out there looking around and would sign just to get on a roster at this point.

You just can't jump into the FA early and be done before Christmas. I am scared to death of what Avila will do once he has money to spend. He will put us right back into payroll hell.

Boy,what a disappointment AA is this off season. Here two of my favorite cheap FA options just signed minor league deals: Derek Dietrich (Reds) and Gerardo Parra (SF). These guys would have been huge additions (especially Dietrich who can play OF, 2B, 3B, and 1B) at a minimal cost to this rebuilding team. I just don't get the mentality of AA. There have been quite a few other "minor league" deals going around that I can't believe he didn't jump on. Here are some FA left that just might sign very cheap or even on minor league deals that he should be looking at so he can flip them for prospects:

Pitchers:
    Gio Gonzalez, LH (33)
    Clay Buchholz, RH (34)
    Tony Sipp, LH (35)
    Nick Vincent, RH (32)
    Tyler Clippard, RH (34)
    Adam Warren, RH (31)
    Boone Logan, LH (34)
    *Would it really hurt them to at least bring in for the ST and maybe get lucky or send them to AAA

Position:
    Matt Wieters, C (33)
    Carlos Gonzalez, OF/1B/DH (33)
    Marwin Gonzalez, INF/OF (30)
    Josh Harrison, INF/OF (31)
    Adam Jones, OF/DH (33)

Ok, I think AA finally heard my cries for signings. Signing Harrison was a very good move and I can't believe he came at less of a price tag than his former teammate Mercer. Harrison is at $2M with $1M in incentives while Mercer is at $5.25M. This also shows that AA didn't get value with Mercer by signing him so early and talking about signing him before doing so. (Keep your mouth shut Al). Gardy is still hinting there may be another bat signed. I sure hope they steer clear from Logan Morrison and go after either Adam Jones, Carols Gonzalez, or Matt Wieters. I could see all three of those guys filling in out in the outfield (Jones/CGo), catcher (Wieters), and rotating in at DH or possibly first base. My preference is to get Jones in here at around $5M for 1 year because I think he's the most tradable at the deadline but would be alright with CGo and Wieters as well. I think they fill in holes and we could easily drop Mahtook (Robson/Woodrow/Peterson can back up) or Ronny Rodriguez off the roster without issue. So, kudo's to AA for the Harrison signing but lets not stand still while we have the three players listed along with the pitchers listed above also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123