Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

2018/19 Offseason

Time to move on. Time for the lauded front office to finally put together a team that can win a World series. Discuss moves you think will happen and/or you would like to happen to finally get us over the top.

A few moves I would make:

- Let Manny walk. Seager will be healthy and ready to go by Spring Training. He is a better all around option, IMO, and fits this team better.

- Push all your eggs into the Bryce Harper basket. Harper is only 25 and giving him a massive deal isn't as much of a hindrance since he is so young. he would anchor our lineup for years to come and bring much needed stability to the musical chairs that is the outfield.

- Sign Kelvin Herrera. We need another viable arm at the end of games. Between Herrera, Baez, and Jansen, we would have nice options for the 7th inning and beyond.

- Trade Matt Kemp and Alex Wood for whatever minor league depth you can get.

- Let the following players walk: Madson, Grandal, Machado, Dozier.

- Pick up the team option on Freese.

- Kershaw: If he picks up his PO, fine. If he opts out, offer him a 4 year extension at 80 million. Take it or leave it. He will be our number 3/4/5 in the coming years.

- The following players will be back from injury: Seager, Cingrani, and Urias. They will fill some holes on our team nicely.

25 man:
    C - Kielbert Ruiz
    C - Austin Barnes
    1B - Cody Bellinger
    2B - Max Muncy
    SS - Corey Seager
    3B - Justin Turner
    OF - Bryce Harper
    OF - Joc Pederson
    OF - Yasiel Puig
    OF - Alex Verdugo
    Utility: Chris Taylor
    Utility: Kike Hernandez
    Utility: David Freese

SP: Walker Buehler
    SP: Julio Urias
    SP: Clayton Kershaw
    SP: Hyun Ryu
    SP: Rich Hill
    RP: Maeda
    RP: Cingrani
    RP: Alexander
    RP: Ferguson
    RP: Baez
    RP: Herrera
    RP: Jansen

Our Opening day line up (our "A" lineup)

SS: Corey Seager
    3B: Justin Turner
    OF: Bryce Harper
    OF: Yasiel Puig
    2B: Max Muncy
    1B: Cody Bellinger
    OF: Joc Pederson
    C: Keilbert Ruiz
    SP: Walker Buehler

Catching: From what I hear our two big catching prospects won't be ready opening day. Maybe by mid summer? I don't want Grandal back. Barnes IMO is a short term solution. Maybe one of the prospects can move into a starting role but catching offensively def killed us. But at the same time if you're only weak spot in the line up is catching I think it's worth it if they are good behind the plate.

SS: Hope Corey can come back strong

1B: Hope that Cody can get better. I worry that we saw his best year in 2017 & he will continue to struggle. Given his bloodline and being around the game so long I am kind of surprised at his 2018 season.

2B: I hear Muncy is going to try and get better in the off season but not sure how good he can get.

3B: That is JT's spot

Some concerns:
    Future of Jansen. I think he needs to rebound. I think the Dodgers are also very concerned given his lengthy contract & $$$. I wonder if they hope to find somebody that can move into that closing role if Jansen doesn't get better.
    Turner. He's a year older. Injuries probably will become more common. He'll probably lose some bat speed. 2 years left on his contract.

Kike: He was horrible in the post season. His big plus is multi positions & that is huge. But he's gotta be a better hitter.

Taylor: See Kike above. I sometimes wonder if he's even a Dodger for all of 2019.

Freese: I Def think you bring him back. I think he should've played more in the post season.

Hill: He surprised me a lot this past year. Hopefully he can continue to do well because we need him.

Buehler: ACE in charge now. Hopefully stays healthy.

Kershaw: If he opts out bring him back like a #2. Don't pay him as a #1. I think the Dodgers can still use CK in a 162 game season. But I think they need to forget about him being a pitcher they can depend on in an elmination game.

You mentioned trade Kemp & Wood. I don't see how that would work for young talent. That's a lot of money that a team would have to take on and a lot of teams really value young players because they are so cheap. I could see Kemp going to be a DH but I'd be surprised if the Dodgers didn't have to eat a lot of that contract. But maybe they could get a major league ready reliever in it. Somebody that can succeed in the post season.
    Last edited by DodgerBlue8188; 10-30-2018 at 04:27 PM.

We should trade Muncy for a better all around young prospect.... buy low, sell high. I think he's much more likely to take a few steps back than repeat this season. I like Muncy and wouldn't just dump him but we should see if we could fleece somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post

Some concerns:
    Future of Jansen. I think he needs to rebound. I think the Dodgers are also very concerned given his lengthy contract & $$$. I wonder if they hope to find somebody that can move into that closing role if Jansen doesn't get better.
    It was a huge mistake not to try to trade him after 2017. I expect him to continue to drop off.

Speaking of Lauded Front Office, when They got hired in 2014 they got 5 year contracts, with Friedman getting 35 million (7 per year) next year is the 5th year......you don't get to spend this kind of money, and make this kind of salary to NOT win.

PJ while I don't totally disagree with everything you said, I would point out that Hyun Jin Ryu is a free agent and needs to be resigned.
    So I think he walks, and they keep Wood and Stripling and let them compete for his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    We should trade Muncy for a better all around young prospect.... buy low, sell high. I think he's much more likely to take a few steps back than repeat this season. I like Muncy and wouldn't just dump him but we should see if we could fleece somebody.
    I wouldn't be totally against that.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    PJ while I don't totally disagree with everything you said, I would point out that Hyun Jin Ryu is a free agent and needs to be resigned.
    So I think he walks, and they keep Wood and Stripling and let them compete for his spot.
    I think KobeOwnSU and PJ are two different people.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    I think KobeOwnSU and PJ are two different people.
    Yes we are haha my God, I'd hate myself if we weren't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Yes we are haha my God, I'd hate myself if we weren't.

**** that's my bad then. I thought you just changed your name.

**** that's my bad then. I thought you just changed your name.
    Haha nah, I been here since like 2007. I'm just more active in the Lakers and Raiders forums.

to early to speculate. need to understand who gets QO and whether KC opts in or out.

definite upgrades needed

bullpen 8th inning guy who can become closer - We should go hard after Diaz on Seattle
    Infielder to replace Manny if he doesn't re-sign
    Trade Depth in OF / Minors for a top 10 OF in the league

Dont's

No deal to CK beyond 5 years guaranteed
    No LT deals for PUIG/RYU/ETC...

Anyway, I don't expect much as usual during FA based on past performance... Just hoping for no bad deals

Guys I think they let walk,

Grandal, Dozier, Ryu (unfortunate but true), Machado (unfortunate but true), Axeford, Hudson, Ryan Madson.

I think they try to keep Kershaw, they'll probably let Freese walk since 6 million is a lot to pay for a platoon bat with little versatility.

They might try to trade Kemp or Puig, but the market is really saturated with OF, so I don't see anyone taking Kemps contract, or offering more in trade for Puig than he's worth to the dodgers.
    Catcher:
    I wouldn't be totally against getting someone like Jonathon Lucroy on a one year deal, to help until Will Smith/Keibert Ruiz are ready.
    2nd:
    We'll see what the pirates do with Josh Harrison. There's DJ LeMahieu, and they could maybe trade for Scooter Gennett, what they do though kinda depends on what they think of Gavin Lux long term.
    They could also let Kike and Taylor have the position, I'd be fine with that given the options.
    SS/3b:
    Fine as is.
    OF:
    We have a ton of guys, unless they're going to get Harper, it's not worth doing anything.
    SP:
    Bring back Kershaw, MAYBE Ryu, but the internal options at the majors and high minors are really good.
    Kershaw
    Buehler
    Urias
    Hill
    Kenta Maeda
    Stripling/Wood

With Caleb Fergason, Dustin May, Dennis Santanna, Tony Gonsolin, and Mitch White all pretty close to contributing now.

The bull pen is really interesting, we'll see where they go with it.

Guys I think they let walk,

Grandal, Dozier, Ryu (unfortunate but true), Machado (unfortunate but true), Axeford, Hudson, Ryan Madson.

I think they try to keep Kershaw, they'll probably let Freese walk since 6 million is a lot to pay for a platoon bat with little versatility.

They might try to trade Kemp or Puig, but the market is really saturated with OF, so I don't see anyone taking Kemps contract, or offering more in trade for Puig than he's worth to the dodgers.
    Catcher:
    I wouldn't be totally against getting someone like Jonathon Lucroy on a one year deal, to help until Will Smith/Keibert Ruiz are ready.
    2nd:
    We'll see what the pirates do with Josh Harrison. There's DJ LeMahieu, and they could maybe trade for Scooter Gennett, what they do though kinda depends on what they think of Gavin Lux long term.
    They could also let Kike and Taylor have the position, I'd be fine with that given the options.
    SS/3b:
    Fine as is.
    OF:
    We have a ton of guys, unless they're going to get Harper, it's not worth doing anything.
    SP:
    Bring back Kershaw, MAYBE Ryu, but the internal options at the majors and high minors are really good.
    Kershaw
    Buehler
    Urias
    Hill
    Kenta Maeda
    Stripling/Wood

With Caleb Fergason, Dustin May, Dennis Santanna, Tony Gonsolin, and Mitch White all pretty close to contributing now.

The bull pen is really interesting, we'll see where they go with it.
    Puig is a FA
    I generally agree that SP isn't a big need if CK is back

the pen is a joke though and needs massive upgrades

they also need to add an IF depending on what Machado does... If he re-signs then just move turner to second

I like your idea at Catcher (ie stopgap)

In general we need a lot of turnover to refresh the roster... kike is a great utility guy but the others muncy/taylor/joc we need to put into deals while they still have value. We can't continue to block Verdugo... either play him or trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    Puig is a FA
    I generally agree that SP isn't a big need if CK is back

the pen is a joke though and needs massive upgrades

they also need to add an IF depending on what Machado does... If he re-signs then just move turner to second

I like your idea at Catcher (ie stopgap)

In general we need a lot of turnover to refresh the roster... kike is a great utility guy but the others muncy/taylor/joc we need to put into deals while they still have value. We can't continue to block Verdugo... either play him or trade him.
    His contract is up, but we have a year of Arbitration with him, he's a free agent next year.

Turner was one of the worst defensive 2b in baseball....in his 20's, before he had knee surgery. He's a very good 3b, if they keep Machado, they'd be better off moving either Manny or Seager there.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast