Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcCrawford View Post
    Meh. Signing Kimbdell now doesnít necessarily have an affect on us resigning Betts, Benny, etc. If he signs here, I canít imagine itís more than 3 years and if it is the money should be reasonable enough to trade if need be. I wasnít too confident in him last year but heís proven he can get the job done at a good enough rate.
    That's a little silly. Of course it has an effect. Maybe you don't think that the effect is very large, but allocating $15M+ to any player is going to have an effect on every other player on the roster.

Let's say that you're right and Kimbrel signs for 3 years... and signs for something close to the QO. That means that you're paying Price and Kimbrel $50M for the next three years. That's ace money for two guys that, honestly, I no longer consider locks. 25% of your payroll spent on two guys that are not top performers seems wasteful.

Continuing the thought, if JDM opts-out as many expect, then after 2019 you've got an estimated $102M with only 5 players under guaranteed contract (11 more in various stages of club control) and 8 leaving via FA or opt-out: Sale, Porcello, JDM, Bogaerts leaving a pretty big hole. The price of pitching is pretty high so signing a 1/2 and 3/4 in the same offseason is going to eat quite a bit of cash heading into 2020. Then you've got to turn around and pay Betts, make a decision on Bradley, while filling three additional FA roles for 2021. Benintendi? He's in his second arbitration year at that point... unless you signed him early and absorbed some of that cash before Betts got paid.

$15M-18M is what you'd like to pay Benintendi to buy out some FA seasons early. Or possibly give to Devers if he turns into the power hitter that many anticipate. Or any of a number of things, all of which affect future offseasons.

I still think best course of action is to transition Barnes into the closers role and pick up 1-2 buy low bullpen arms. Everyone is up in arms over not getting Robertson. Heís making 11.5 million AAV. Thatís a lot to pay a guy who will only pitch 50-60 innings. I was more focused on Herrera but even he got paid with 9 million AAV. For a guy who missed a chunk of time last year thatís a commitment only a team like the White Sox can make. We need 2 guys that are only making 10-12 million AAV combined. I get Boston is a printing press for $ but you canít just spend spend spend. Especially with our farm in the shape itís in. We have 1 more year to dominate which is Ď19. 2020 will be a year where if a few small moves work out in our favor we will still be in the race but Boston needs to be ready for a rebuild come 2021. Take the lumps for 2-3 years and be ready to dominate again by 2025. It seems like people have been spoiled and forget it was a long time between 1918 and 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Soxtober040713 View Post
    I still think best course of action is to transition Barnes into the closers role and pick up 1-2 buy low bullpen arms. Everyone is up in arms over not getting Robertson. Heís making 11.5 million AAV. Thatís a lot to pay a guy who will only pitch 50-60 innings. I was more focused on Herrera but even he got paid with 9 million AAV. For a guy who missed a chunk of time last year thatís a commitment only a team like the White Sox can make. We need 2 guys that are only making 10-12 million AAV combined. I get Boston is a printing press for $ but you canít just spend spend spend. Especially with our farm in the shape itís in. We have 1 more year to dominate which is Ď19. 2020 will be a year where if a few small moves work out in our favor we will still be in the race but Boston needs to be ready for a rebuild come 2021. Take the lumps for 2-3 years and be ready to dominate again by 2025. It seems like people have been spoiled and forget it was a long time between 1918 and 2004
    I think that people got used to a system that balanced internal and external replacements for more than a decade, yes. I'm glad the Sox won it all last year but I'm not a fan of DD or the path that he took to the WS.

The Red Sox avoided the major embarrassment of having to take American League MVP Mookie Betts to arbitration, settling with the 26-year-old outfielder on a $20 million contract for 2019, according to a major league source.

A long-term deal that would dissuade Betts from entering free agency would be massive and there is no guarantee he would be amenable to such a deal. Forecasting amounts would be premature until current free agent outfielder Bryce Harper, who is the same age as Betts, inks a deal this offseason. That contract could easily top $300 million in total value.

The $20 million salary for Betts represents a new high for a player with only four years of service. Betts joins Rick Porcello ($21 million), J.D. Martinez ($23.75 million) and David Price ($31 million) in the Soxí $20 million-plus club for this coming season. Bettsí 2018 was stupendous, as he led the league in average (.346), runs (129) and slugging percentage (.640). He hit 32 homers and won a Gold Glove as well.

With amounts coming from sources including the Boston Sports Journal, the Red Sox reached agreements on 2019 salaries with Bogaerts ($12 million), Bradley ($8.55 million), Rodriguez ($4.3 million), Brock Holt ($3.575 million), Sandy Leon ($2.475 million), Matt Barnes ($1.6 million), Steven Wright ($1.375 million), Brandon Workman ($1.15 million) and Blake Swihart ($910,000). Earlier, the club settled with relievers Tyler Thornburg and Heath Hembree.
    Boston Herald

The cumulative value for those arbitration eligible players is within about $200K of what was projected at the beginning of the offseason. Bogaerts was the biggest winner, earning roughly $750K more than projected. Meanwhile, Barnes was the biggest loser with a payday roughly half of what was anticipated in November.

The total payroll for 2019 luxury tax purposes is approximately $238.6M. With a cap of $206M, the Sox do not have a lot of room for in-season deals or a big money contract to a closer without exceeding the second luxury tax penalty limit and getting hit with a second straight season of additional penalties (loss of draft position and IFA money).

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Boston Herald

The cumulative value for those arbitration eligible players is within about $200K of what was projected at the beginning of the offseason. Bogaerts was the biggest winner, earning roughly $750K more than projected. Meanwhile, Barnes was the biggest loser with a payday roughly half of what was anticipated in November.

The total payroll for 2019 luxury tax purposes is approximately $238.6M. With a cap of $206M, the Sox do not have a lot of room for in-season deals or a big money contract to a closer without exceeding the second luxury tax penalty limit and getting hit with a second straight season of additional penalties (loss of draft position and IFA money).
    San Fransico is looking to deal and they have a couple of cheap relievers in Will Smith(4.25 million) and Tony Watson(2.5 mill)

I like Watson but I was really alluding to the "inevitable" reunion with Kimbrel.

It's interesting to see how the FA market has panned out this year. Kimbrel and Grandal, for example, had lots of suitors until they announced their desire for big, long-term contracts. Their markets vaporized and teams went for alternatives. With Grandal signing a one-year deal barely above the QO that he declined, it seems like the unlimited gravy train may finally have run out of steam.

Mets signed INF Jed Lowrie to a two-year, $20 million contract.

The deal was agreed to last Thursday and then finalized Tuesday evening after Lowrie passed the necessary pre-signing physical. He will be introduced at a press conference at Citi Field on Wednesday.
    I'd really been hoping that the Red Sox would get a good backup plan for Pedroia. Maybe better said, a primary plan with the potential for Pedroia to attempt a comeback. Lowrie got $20M/2yr, the Yankees gave Le Mahieu $24M/2yr, and Dozier got $9M to "rebuild value" after a down season. Wow, this is just getting too expensive.

Dustin Pedroia (knee) has resumed running.
    Pedroia is testing his surgically-repaired left knee; an injury that limited the 35-year-old to just three games in 2018. It's still up in the air whether or not the second baseman will be ready for the start of the 2019 season, but Pedroia told reporters that he feels better than he did at this point last year. We should know more on how he reacts to the running program soon.
    Red Sox president of operations Dave Dombrowski told reporters on Thursday that it's unlikely Carson Smith (shoulder) is ready for the start of the season.

The Red Sox brought back Smith as a non-roster invite, but it sounds like we won't get to see the 29-year-old pitch in spring training. Injuries have plagued Smith since he was acquired from the Mariners in the deal for Wade Miley, and he has appeared in just 29 games since the 2016 season.

According to Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston, the Red Sox have discussed a long-term contract extension with shortstop Xander Bogaerts.

While there have been talks between the two parties, they never came close to an agreement. The 26-year-old is set to earn $12 million in 2019, his final season before hitting the free agent market. Bogaerts had a breakout season offensively in 2018, slashing .288/.360/.522 with 23 homers, 103 RBI and eight stolen bases while helping to lead the Red Sox to a World Series title.
    via roto

Rafael Devers acknowledged Saturday that he's fully healthy and noticeably slimmer than he was during the 2018 season.

Devers told fans at their annual Winter Weekend event, "I feel healthy right now... I think Iím in a good place. Last year, I had a lot of injuries and I think it was a product of the weight. Thankfully, I feel much better now and Iíve been focusing on it a lot more this offseason." The 22-year-old also hired a nutritionist this offseason and has also worked hard on improving his overall conditioning.
    Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports reports that the Reds are among about 10 teams that are showing interest in Shawn Kelley.

Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reported earlier Sunday that the Red Sox were also in on Kelley. Kelley will turn 35 in April and has an extensive injury history, but he's consistently piled up strikeouts when on the mound. He'll be a good middle reliever somewhere if he can stay healthy.
    Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports that the Red Sox "have been in contact" with Shawn Kelley.

Cotillo says that the Red Sox are in active discussions with multiple free agent relievers and the team is hoping to sign someone to a contract in the $2-3 million range. Kelley's velocity was down in 2018, but he still managed to post a 2.94 ERA and 50/11 K/BB ratio over 49 innings. Cotillo lists Brad Brach, Greg Holland, A.J. Ramos, Justin Wilson and Oliver Perez as other possible targets for the Red Sox and adds that Sergio Romo and Adam Warren "are not likely to land in Boston."
    via roto
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 01-20-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011