Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    I hope Sale would accept a contract like 5 years for 135 million.
    I have mixed feelings on Sale. 2018 was supposed to be the year that he was managed towards post-season success. The late season injury and minimal impact only further highlighted his general second half decline in my mind. His skinny frame and high effort delivery doesn't seem to be built for the long haul either. I get why you'd want to do this and I probably wouldn't complain if it happened, but I would have durability concerns.

If Chavis Pans out... play him at 3rd move Devers to the 1B/DH roll. If Martinez opts out, let him walk. Probably going to have to let JBJ walk and I definitely let Porcello go.
    I don't disagree at all but I am very curious if Chavis could play 2B. His power at that position would be awesome.

Bogey - 7 Years 154 million - 22 million per

Betts - 10 Years - 280 million - 28 million per
    Given what Arenado go, Bogey's number is not unrealistic. I hope he continues on the upswing. I'm with Pittz on Betts, though. He will be more expensive than both Harper and Machado (he doesn't seem inclined to a hometown discount).

Hang in there with me. In 2020 we have 109 million in obligations subtract the 24 million from JD (he opts out and is gone) we are at 85 million add the above 96 we are at 181 million in obligations and 167 in guaranteed obligations for 2021 as Castillos 14 million falls off and 2021 is the last year of Pedroia's contract.
    Castillo's contract doesn't affect the luxury tax since he was outrighted to the minors. I'm also mixed about JDM leaving; he's contributed quite a bit to the other hitters on the team learning from his maniacal training approach. It's probably the right thing to do.

This is all while the luxury tax limit is going up a bit.
    FWIW, it's going up $2M each of the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I have mixed feelings on Sale. 2018 was supposed to be the year that he was managed towards post-season success. The late season injury and minimal impact only further highlighted his general second half decline in my mind. His skinny frame and high effort delivery doesn't seem to be built for the long haul either. I get why you'd want to do this and I probably wouldn't complain if it happened, but I would have durability concerns.

I don't disagree at all but I am very curious if Chavis could play 2B. His power at that position would be awesome.

Given what Arenado go, Bogey's number is not unrealistic. I hope he continues on the upswing. I'm with Pittz on Betts, though. He will be more expensive than both Harper and Machado (he doesn't seem inclined to a hometown discount).

Castillo's contract doesn't affect the luxury tax since he was outrighted to the minors. I'm also mixed about JDM leaving; he's contributed quite a bit to the other hitters on the team learning from his maniacal training approach. It's probably the right thing to do.

FWIW, it's going up $2M each of the next two years.
    I guess my overall point is it is not completely unrealistic to resign most of the guys. The real decision to me is letting Sale walk vs Martinez.

I am inclined to let Martinez go
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by Pittz View Post
    Very minor feedback on a post I appreciate overall, but I think Betts signs for far more than 10/280. I think his market is more along 10/330 or 13/360. He gets more than Harper in FA today imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps, I honesty don't see him getting more than the 28-32 million range per year. Mean we would be smart to just lock him up this year

Perhaps, I honesty don't see him getting more than the 28-32 million range per year. Mean we would be smart to just lock him up this year
    Curious as to why you expect him in that range.

Betts: DOB 10/7/1992, .303/.370/.518, career WAR 35.2 (5yr*)
    Harper: DOB 10/16/1992, .279/.388/.512, career WAR 27.4 (7yr)
    Machado: DOB 7/6/1992, .282/.335/.487, career WAR 33.8 (7yr)

Here I'm using the number of MLB seasons they've appeared in. Betts/Machado had similar partial seasons in which they debuted while Harper basically has had seven full seasons. Betts has a greater career WAR than either of the two mega-contracts from this offseason while playing two fewer seasons. He's a better overall hitter than either of them and an elite defender in RF. And he's only seven days older than Harper (three months younger than Machado). Objectively, he seems in line for more than either of these two in terms of AAV. The only real fly in the ointment would be a reasonable objection that Betts will (potentially) be two years older when he signs his FA deal. I guess $32M is not unrealistic on the high side but $28M is too low on the low end.

BTW, I'm not a Harper fan. His power is ridiculous (and he's getting the Bonds treatment from pitchers) but it's not really translating as much as the contract suggests. His walk year was a 1.3WAR season. Really? I think that Harper has posted only one season better than Betts' worst WAR season. I think that people still bill Harper as "young" because he debuted at such an early age and they're still sold on his upward trajectory. Betts debuted two years later but has outpaced him.

Yeah but looking at their contracts. The two averaged are making 27.5 million per year. That is essentially my baseline and yeah Betts will be a bit older.

I think that Harper made some concessions in order to get a deal that outdistanced Stanton's. He wanted to go to Philly and chose to sign a deal without an opt-out or NTC (which he'll get by default in five years).

7. 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

It was really good to see Peady back again. I hope he can remain healthy. It was also hilarious seeing Brock, Betts and JBJ mic'd up.

I think that you miss the point of comparison. When people are house hunting, they make the decision to even consider looking at a house based on the sticker prince. List too high, and you don't get views even if you re-list.

Player salaries are not as far off as you suppose. Teams with the greatest need have the greatest time pressure to act. If the demands for option A are unrealistic (like Kimbrel) then they move to player B out of concern that they'll be left in the cold on all the top-tier options. Deals late in the offseason tend to be opportunistic.* I would not be surprised to see Kimbrel, for example, sign a 'pillow contract' to show teams that his terrible post season and declining peripherals are not a cause for concern... and maybe he asks for $50M/3yr next offseason.

*I would even consider the Harper/Machado deals opportunistic.
    But people who still need a house, still need a house, and if there is only ONE house on the market, they'll keep circling back around even after you relist.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    But people who still need a house, still need a house, and if there is only ONE house on the market, they'll keep circling back around even after you relist.
    Sure. It might sit on the market for 18 months, and you might sell the house for 60% of your list price, but it'll eventually sell. And that's exactly the point of comparison. Something about the list price was very wrong and it drove away the buyers who were in the right market so the item sold for less, to a lower-tier, opportunistic buyer.

Sure. It might sit on the market for 18 months, and you might sell the house for 60% of your list price, but it'll eventually sell. And that's exactly the point of comparison. Something about the list price was very wrong and it drove away the buyers who were in the right market so the item sold for less, to a lower-tier, opportunistic buyer.
    I think it's the market forces artificially driving DOWN the value of the listing, not the other way around.

Well, at least the Sox now know Betts price, or there abouts.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I think it's the market forces artificially driving DOWN the value of the listing, not the other way around.

Cross-posted in transacitons
    Chris Sale and the Boston Red Sox are working toward a long-term contract extension. The Boston Globe first reported that the sides are getting close to a deal. If completed, the deal likely to be in the five-year, $150 million range, league sources tell ESPN
    espn.com/boston

Sale is actually someone I would have been okay with not extending, and potentially considered trading (although I know that sounds ludicrous). His consistent inability to produce down the stretch limits his value for a team trying to win championships.

The Red Sox must not be as concerned about this as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now to work on Betts and JD

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast