Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Both via roto
    Diaz! It would cost a ton like JBJ Xander type. So probably won't happen.

I think that it's different than that. If the Ms are in "full-fledged teardown" it seems that they need to restructure the team towards the future. Dealing an all star CL with 4yrs of control for a player in the last year (or two) of arbitration doesn't make sense in that light. Cano, Paxton, Seager, and aging King Felix (salary dump) make the most sense as pieces that might bring back decent prospects from a team that needs a key component.

I think that it's different than that. If the Ms are in "full-fledged teardown" it seems that they need to restructure the team towards the future. Dealing an all star CL with 4yrs of control for a player in the last year (or two) of arbitration doesn't make sense in that light. Cano, Paxton, Seager, and aging King Felix (salary dump) make the most sense as pieces that might bring back decent prospects from a team that needs a key component.
    I'd say it makes sense to trade Diaz too, a non-competitive team doesn't have much use for an all-star closer if they're not competing.
    That said, With the contract Cano has, and the Regression Seager has faced, and the fact the Felix was the worst pitcher in baseball last year, I'm not sure they can get much without trading some of their younger players like Jean Segura.

In addition to opt-outs after the 2020 and 2021 seasons, the Red Sox slugger can elect free agency after the 2019 campaign. And after a near Triple Crown campaign (.330, 43 HR, 130 RBI) in his first year, is there temptation to negotiate a new, long-term contract with Martinez?

Not according to president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski.

"I don't think it will change," Dombrowski said Wednesday evening at the GM meetings. "Again, you're open-minded to anything, but I would say unlikely."

Why the reluctance to reward Martinez at this point, even though $110 million over five years would be a huge bargain based on his first season? Dombrowski says his injury history plays a role.

"There was a reason why we put those opt-outs in, and they're all medical. The medical hasn't changed. So I don't think (we'll look at changing the deal) at this point."
    NBC Sports

JDM not renegotiating and opting-out next year make sense. Claiming that the opt-outs are there because of his injury history does not. If the injuries prevent him from playing... then he opts-in because he can't get better money on the market. Um, that's not helping the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I'd say it makes sense to trade Diaz too, a non-competitive team doesn't have much use for an all-star closer if they're not competing.
    That said, With the contract Cano has, and the Regression Seager has faced, and the fact the Felix was the worst pitcher in baseball last year, I'm not sure they can get much without trading some of their younger players like Jean Segura.
    The team finished with 89 wins and were a distant third place only because there were two 97+ win teams in the division, at least one of whom was a big surprise. Is that really non-competitive? I don't entirely agree with your assessment there.

The young guys have at least 4yrs of service time left. Wouldn't you at least try to move some of the older players with shorter years? Could you deal Cano and cash for a decent SP to help the rotation? How much support would Paxton need (if they kept him)? IMO the answer comes down to how quickly you want to try to be competitive. Dealing cost controlled all-star talent may get you back better components, but it also puts you further from being competitive any time soon... from middle of the pack (thanks to four 97+ win teams in the AL) to also ran for the foreseeable future.

At any rate, the next post said that Diaz was not on the market. It came an hour after the one I shared and was, no doubt, a response to a follow-up question.

Eovaldi isn't likely going to make as much money as Patrick Corbin or Dallas Keuchel in this year's free agent market in large part because of past performance. Despite the fact the 28-year-old righty is younger than either of the aforementioned starters, with less wear and tear, there isn't the track record that often times serves as acquiring clubs' security blanket.

But a sure-fire tell in terms of how the Red Sox view the free agent landscape is where they would put Eovaldi on their power rankings. By all accounts, in large part because of what they uncovered over the season's final three months, Dave Dombrowski and Co. would prioritize the guy with career 44-53 record and 4.16 ERA.
    weei.com

Rumors are the Cubs might consider trading Kris Bryant. It's 99% not true probably but if they did consider it to sign Harper, would any of you guys deal for Bryant? What would you give up?
    Fan of Red sox , Chicago bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA

Quote Originally Posted by redsox12 View Post
    Rumors are the Cubs might consider trading Kris Bryant. It's 99% not true probably but if they did consider it to sign Harper, would any of you guys deal for Bryant? What would you give up?
    It's slightly misrepresented. Theo is always open to listening to an offer on any player and that's really what's been said. The context was more focused on Bryant because he had an off year but the overall answer was a broader statement.

I don't think that the Red Sox have enough to offer. A package might start with Devers -- their top prospects don't seem to include 3B -- and I would be okay with that. Where we go after that is a mystery. EdRo might make sense but it'd hurt the Sox more than is reasonable. Groome has potential but is no longer desirable until he puts together, let's say, one full season in MiLB (ugh). There's really not enough in the system to make it work.

Right, they are going to be in a tricky situation in a few years re-signing, Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez.
    Fan of Red sox , Chicago bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA

The team finished with 89 wins and were a distant third place only because there were two 97+ win teams in the division, at least one of whom was a big surprise. Is that really non-competitive? I don't entirely agree with your assessment there.

The young guys have at least 4yrs of service time left. Wouldn't you at least try to move some of the older players with shorter years? Could you deal Cano and cash for a decent SP to help the rotation? How much support would Paxton need (if they kept him)? IMO the answer comes down to how quickly you want to try to be competitive. Dealing cost controlled all-star talent may get you back better components, but it also puts you further from being competitive any time soon... from middle of the pack (thanks to four 97+ win teams in the AL) to also ran for the foreseeable future.

At any rate, the next post said that Diaz was not on the market. It came an hour after the one I shared and was, no doubt, a response to a follow-up question.
    The mariners also finished with a negative run differential, and finished 15 games better than they're Pythag. They were all smoke and mirrors. They're in line for massive regression, and that's if everyone came back and put up similar years, they're at their payroll limmit and looks like they'll be losing their DH.

Considering Paxton has 2 years left on his contract, NOW is the time to trade him if they're going to maximize value.

It's slightly misrepresented. Theo is always open to listening to an offer on any player and that's really what's been said. The context was more focused on Bryant because he had an off year but the overall answer was a broader statement.

I don't think that the Red Sox have enough to offer. A package might start with Devers -- their top prospects don't seem to include 3B -- and I would be okay with that. Where we go after that is a mystery. EdRo might make sense but it'd hurt the Sox more than is reasonable. Groome has potential but is no longer desirable until he puts together, let's say, one full season in MiLB (ugh). There's really not enough in the system to make it work.
    They're really not in a position to make any trades for a marquee player. Not without trading Chavis, and even then a rental is probably the best you can hope for.

I'd only make a trade for a top of the line starter personally. Noah is the guy I want in Boston, i'm just not sure we have enough to get him. I'd gladly give the Mets Chavis, Mata, Hernandez, Ockimey, and Shawaryn. I'm not even sure that is enough though.

I love Goldschmidt but I don't want to give up the specs that it'd cost for him. I believe moving Devers to 1B is the move to make and Goldy messes that up. I think Devers would have to be in a Goldy trade, and I'm not willing to do that personally.

I wouldn't sign any of the big bats anymore. I'm still looking at signing Beltre, one of the top catcher, and some low risk high reward types.

I feel that we should move Price and Porcello but idk that it will happen. I'm still ok with both coming back next season but don't think its ideal. I believe get what ya can get for either of them. Eovaldi replaces Porcello, ERod moves into Price's spot(not the same pitcher as Price obviously) then fill out the rest of the rotation internally or via F.A. I still like Harvey a lot, Wainwright is worth a flier, Cahil as well. I'd stay away from the top starters in F.A.

I may be in the minority but I'd like to swing a deal with Seatlle for Paxon, and Seager. I'm not sure if that is obtainable. Heck i'd like to give King Felix a shot if they took Price or Porcello.

I want Eovaldi back, 3 years is worth the risk if he pitch 150+ IP every year. Sale and Porcello will be FAs, Eovaldi can pitch like a high end starter on any given night as he did in the playoff. Good protection if we lose 1 of them.

Sign Kurt Suzuki. Our catchers put up -2.1 WAR, Suziki put up 2.1WAR last year. I don't see him costing anything over $5M, underrated player for a long time now.

Sign two of Kelly, Kimbrel or Pearce.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I want Eovaldi back, 3 years is worth the risk if he pitch 150+ IP every year. Sale and Porcello will be FAs, Eovaldi can pitch like a high end starter on any given night as he did in the playoff. Good protection if we lose 1 of them.

Sign Kurt Suzuki. Our catchers put up -2.1 WAR, Suziki put up 2.1WAR last year. I don't see him costing anything over $5M, underrated player for a long time now.

Sign two of Kelly, Kimbrel or Pearce.
    Upgrade the bullpen

Craig Kimbrel officially declined his qualifying offer ($17.9 million) from the Red Sox, will test free agent market.
    JMastrodonato is the source.

Just make Braiser the closer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast