Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    source?
    I read it on the main PSD page when the trade first went down. Not sure what source they were using.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I read it on the main PSD page when the trade first went down. Not sure what source they were using.
    ok thanks could be based on scouting reports, will monitor his afl numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    If there is one thing Mike knows, its thought process... other peoples thought process. Ain't that right Mike. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    No jamiec it's conventional baseball wisdom and team building. YOU may think having a team of low OBP guys is a path to winning but most successful baseball executives know better.

I've been right about Shapiros acquiring patchwork players since he's gotten here and the teams record has proved it. And I said it at the time the deals were made. Not after the fact like most of you. You really can't deny that. I read everything I can get my hands on. You'll remember I Suggested Flahery Kelly and Bader in July of 2017 for Donaldson. Which if they'd have acted then the could have gotten, since JD was at his apex. To me logic trumps sentiment. You may not like that I speak out and call them as I see them, but it's not like I don't do my homework. I panned the Shapiro hiring from day one. Because I had advanced warning from Indians insiders. So you're foolish if you think that when I say "Thought Process" that it is without any research. I'm retired and I have time, and I held a senior position in the IRS, So I obviously know a thing or two about extrapolating data and correlation factors. I just use the same professional skills I had before in a different manner now. YOU may not recognize the wisdom in the thought process, but we do. Getting rid of Diaz, a Travis, a Solarte, and a Pillar is addition by subtraction, because if they are on your roster you WILL use them, so getting rid of them is ALWAYS a good move, because now you CAN'T use them.

Flawed players are flawed players. You're better off with unproven players because at least given opportunity unproven players can surprise you, while Flawed players eventually show you why they are considered Flawed players. Just look at Solarte in may, vs Solarte at the end of the year. That why I don't buy Grichuks so called turn around because history says it's much more likely he'll have a season much like his proven track record. Yes there have been outliers like Brady Anderson's 50 HR season, but even he went back to being who he was after that.

Former Blue Jays draftee James Paxton's deal, though it is risky is a good example of thought process at work because even though he has consistently been injured throughout his career, his peripherals say the talent is there. It just hasn't been consistently available. But it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes Randy Johnson lite in NY because the Talent is evident. Everyone knows he should have been better than he was, but he could never stay on the field, Just like Randy Johnson. If it doesn't work out for NY it was still a worthwhile gamble because they are betting on Talent, not on a 2 month hot streak from a guy who was at ..085 and in danger of being released. That's the difference. I don't expect you to recognize it as such, but those who look deeper into history see the parallels.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; Today at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    No jamiec it's conventional baseball wisdom and team building. YOU may think having a team of low OBP guys is a path to winning but most successful baseball executives know better.

Flawed players are flawed players. You're better off with unproven players because at least given opportunity unproven players can surprise you, while Flawed players eventually show you why they are considered Flawed players. Just look at Solarte in may, vs Solarte at the end of the year. That why I don't buy Grichuks so called turn around because history says it's much more likely he'll have a season much like his proven track record. Yes there have been outliers like Brady Anderson's 50 HR season, but even he went back to being who he was after that.

Former Blue Jays draftee James Paxton's deal, though it is risky is a good example of thought process at work because even though he has consistently been injured throughout his career, his peripherals say the talent is there. It just hasn't been consistently available. But it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes Randy Johnson lite in NY because the Talent is evident. Everyone knows he should have been better than he was, but he could never stay on the field, Just like Randy Johnson. If it doesn't work out for NY it was still a worthwhile gamble because they are betting on Talent, not on a 2 month hot streak from a guy who was at ..085 and in danger of being released. That's the difference. I don't expect you to recognize it as such, but those who look deeper into history see the parallels.
    I'm needing a bit of clarification here in your comparison of Paxton's durability to Johnson's. At the age of 29 Johnson already had 4 consecutive seasons of 200+ innings pitched where Paxton at the same age has none although he may be building up to it with seasons of 121, 136, and 160 innings. I'm not sure if I'd agree that Paxton is Johnson lite yet either although the peripherals seem to be pointing that way. I'm thinking Paxton is more in between Brandon Morrow and Randy Johnson because of durability issues.

I can see your argument with the flawed players and understand JP's acquiring of EE and Jose Bautista as they both had flashes of good plate discipline and power - it's just that no one saw the mega production Bautista would bring. And this is why I'm not sold on Grichuk as his K/BB ratio is beyond atrocious. On the reverse end it is hard not to be interested to see what Cavan Biggio and Danny Jansen can do based on what they've shown in the minors.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678