Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

2018-19 Blue Jays Offseason Thread

Who are some targets you would like to see the Jays try to get? Trades appear to be the route over FA. Pitching, as always, seems like a priority. Iím on the Jon Gray train and am hoping the Rockies FO is going to be stupid enough to deal him. Something should give with the Infield as well, itís getting pretty crowded.

Whatís the deadline for protecting players for the 40 man? We should see some movement on that end pretty soon

Currently the best time of year to be a Jays fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Currently the best time of year to be a Jays fan.

Yeah itís been pretty boring for the past 4-5 months. Playoffs werenít very exciting either, Boston just kind of blew through everyone. Really happy for Pearce too. Dude deserved it.

I think the salary is going to be near $100MM after ARB signings but not including any new FA's or trades. Jays will pick up the option on Smoak and most likely let Solarte walk since we have many options in the infield. Money will and should be spent on pitching and 1 veteran bat in the OF.

Infield
    I'd like to see then bring back Diaz because Drury looks like a bust - he couldn't stick in Arizona or New York so not much hope for him here. This is especially important if they decide to continue to screw Vlad Jr around. Plus Diaz can play SS as well. and then there's Tulo who insists on playing SS and only SS so who knows how that changes things.

Urena will need to show something in ST for him to make the 25 man roster however he is only 22 so still time for him. Back to the minors.

Gurriel should be a fixture in the middle infield, Travis is back - best pure hitter on the team just needs to stay healthy.

Smoak gets 1B but will be pushed by Tellez especially if forces their hand in ST. Unfortunately Tellez is blocked by Morales for DH. So they either trade Smoak or Morales but probably not both, please trade Morales. Also Tellez may turn out to be nothing special.

Outfield
    Billy M gets LF, Pillar gets CF but only by default; I'd like to see Grichuck in CF and an FA in RF maybe even Teoscar. Alford gets a good look.

Also, Dwight Smith Jr and Davis will be pushing hard for playing time - competition is good!

Catcher
    Martin/Jansen with a 50/50 split in playing time. Reese McGuire back to the minors

Borucki
    Stroman
    Foley (workhorse)
    Sanchez (will need to show or he goes to the pen, shortage of starters is saving his ***)
    FA starter

RP
    Giles
    Hector Perez
    David Paulino
    Julian Merrywether
    way too early to tell what the bullpen will look like other than Giles will be the closer

Nate Pearson or Zeuch could push for a spot but depends on their performance at ST.

Too early for Bichette and Bigio
    Last edited by hanton; 10-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Drury was fine in arizona, and was injured in New York opening the door for Andujar, who to his credit, ran with it. when a rookie hits .300 with 27 hr and 90 RBI, you tip your cap and become a team player and Drury did just that.
    To me i plant Drury at third and enjoy the gift that the yankees gave us and it was a gift because both Drury and McKinney can play and should start next year.

both players profile as 260-270 20+hrs 60-70 Rbi types and thats an improvement over anyone we have for those positions
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-29-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Drury had 1 and 1/2 good (bordering on average) seasons in Arizona so that's the sample size that we are dealing with. At best he may get close to those numbers but he's got some really hungry younger and better players ahead of him. If Diaz doesn't come back they I would assume he the starting 3B, otherwise he becomes the super utility type that can spell infielders and outfielders. That's still valuable provided he hits because there's alot of K's in that bat.

Hot Stove Biggest Needs:
    Blue Jays: Starting pitching
    Toronto starters ranked 28th in the Majors with a 5.14 ERA, and although prospects Thomas Pannone and Sean Reid-Foley could get a look in the No. 5 spot, the Blue Jays figure to add at least one starter from outside the organization this offseason.
    Potential FA targets: Wade Miley, Derek Holland, Jeremy Hellickson
    https://www.mlb.com/news/analyzing-e...?tid=282421090

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Iíd take a flyer on Hellickson for sure. I donít expect us to go out and get anyone significant or at all. The main goal this off-season should be to deal Smoak then trim the fat from the roster. If we have to attach a prospect to Morales in order to move him then so be it. Pillar should be moved as well as Travis. Iíd even go as far as to non-tender Travis if nobody wants him.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 10-30-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Iíd take a flyer on Hellickson for sure. I donít expect us to go out and get anyone significant or at all. The main goal this off-season should be to deal Smoak then trim the fat from the roster. If we have to attach a prospect to Morales in order to move him then so be in. Pillar should be moved as well as Travis. Iíd even go as far as to non-tender Travis if nobody wants him.
    Sheesh..

Id say the main goal should be to sign a short contract with a pitcher who is decent, but has the potential to become a decent trade piece. Hellickson wouldnt be the worst, but the key is the short contract 2 years or less.

On positional guys i would go big or go home. I would be Balls Deep on both Machado and Harper. Have the highest bid in on both guys and let them try and turn down the money. If they decline because they dont want to play in Cananda then so be it. nothing lost nothing gained.
    having one of those guys to go along with Vlad would mean we're pretty much just 1 major piece away from having an offense like we had in the glory days.

other than that just run with the youth next season. a horrible season (less than 70 wins) rolling out the young guys everyday will be much more entertaining than this shameful debacle of a team we just suffered through these last 2 seasons.

Wouldn't touch Hellickson with a 10 foot pole, he will get smacked around pitching in the AL

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Wouldn't touch Hellickson with a 10 foot pole, he will get smacked around pitching in the AL
    Is that what happened when he played for the rays? I honestly don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Is that what happened when he played for the rays? I honestly don't know.

Well he's on the wrong side of 30 and barely hit's 89 mph. However it would be a typical Atikins signing since he can be had pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Well he's on the wrong side of 30 and barely hit's 89 mph. However it would be a typical Atikins signing since he can be had pretty cheap.
    He's a pitcher who relies on changing speeds. The fastball/change up type. When Estrada was on he proved that velocity didn't matter as long as you could keep hitters off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    He's a pitcher who relies on changing speeds. The fastball/change up type. When Estrada was on he proved that velocity didn't matter as long as you could keep hitters off balance.
    I get that my worry is he's starting to break down, he's 31 and had a few injuries last season including a blister issue - we don't need another pitcher going down with a finger problem. Sign him to a 1 year deal maybe, as I stated before wouldn't be surprised if Atkins bites here.

Jays exercise their club option on Smoak

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mlb/n...i16sy7b6odarbk

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast