Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Ideally a 2 year deal and you can flip him again.

Iím very disappointed to hear that the payroll will be in the 120 to one thirty million $ range. That leaves roughly $30 million to spend. It also sends the message that we really arenít going to try to win next year. With that in mind I cannot see the value in giving $15 million or so to happ. We need to be making all moves toward 2020.
    120-130m payroll doesnít get us to sniff the playoffs unless we can trick someone into taking tulo or Martin and most of their salary which ainít gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Ideally a 2 year deal and you can flip him again.
    I agree, but I think there will be enough suitors that you're going to have to give 3 years to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Iím very disappointed to hear that the payroll will be in the 120 to one thirty million $ range. That leaves roughly $30 million to spend. It also sends the message that we really arenít going to try to win next year. With that in mind I cannot see the value in giving $15 million or so to happ. We need to be making all moves toward 2020.
    120-130m payroll doesnít get us to sniff the playoffs unless we can trick someone into taking tulo or Martin and most of their salary which ainít gonna happen.
    The blue flu is real. And for bolded, I think that management has already been pretty clear that they aren't trying to win next year.

how much of that 30m is going to be taken up by arb players?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    how much of that 30m is going to be taken up by arb players?
    I think weíre projected at $100m including arb players.

Yeah, they have come out and said they aren't going after position players because they just want to see what they have internally this year. This will be a season to "thin the heard" so to speak. The good thing is that they have the extra pieces to trade for a low cost pitcher, sign Happ and still have money left over. I say just go sign Happ and Charlie Morton to round out the rotation, and maybe one more proven bullpen arm to go with Tepera and Giles. They have the depth everywhere else they need to sift thru moving forward.

Iíd rather take on a horrible player making 15m if it got us a good , controllable player along with it than pay 15m for happ in a year we are not going to compete

Rogers is fully committed to putting a winning team on the field without spending. Yea right. We ain't gonna play with the big boys.

we will be near $100 million after all arb cases are settled

I would drop it lower than that if we are not to win anyway. I see 2019 more as a rebuilding year.

I mean, even if we did spend it's going to take more than one year to get within striking distance of the Yanks or Red Sox. You know the Yanks will be making a splash this off-season too.

I'd love to bring Happ back but I agree that spending $15 mil on him is kind of a waste. I have a hard time believing he wants to return too. I know he spoke well of the city but I have a hard time believing he wants to stick it out for a rebuild.

Purely hypothetical because there's not chance it would ever happen but if the Cubs were to trade Kris Bryant, what would you be willing to give up for him?

If it meant shortening up the path back to contention and standing a better chance of resigning Happ, I would offer Stroman, Bichette and McGuire with perhaps a lower level prospect or two. Maybe even throw in Drury.

an outfield of Pillar, Grichuk and Bryant would be stellar and Bryant would give some true protection for Vlad.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_mooney View Post
    Purely hypothetical because there's not chance it would ever happen but if the Cubs were to trade Kris Bryant, what would you be willing to give up for him?

If it meant shortening up the path back to contention and standing a better chance of resigning Happ, I would offer Stroman, Bichette and McGuire with perhaps a lower level prospect or two. Maybe even throw in Drury.

an outfield of Pillar, Grichuk and Bryant would be stellar and Bryant would give some true protection for Vlad.

Just a thought.
    Thanks for the laugh.

Seriously though it would require at least 2 grade A prospects - we only have 2 total in Jr and Bichette and Jr. ain't going anywhere, who knows what else you would have to throw in. it would be a blockbuster and Bryant would need to agree to a permanent move to the outfield..

Might as well cover whatever it takes to cover Tulo and Martin and morales contract to get a good prospect . Then sign 2sp and 3 rp and an OF. to flip at the deadline. Then trade pillar and Smoak at deadline.

Net 11 prospects without blocking big prospects

Might as well cover whatever it takes to cover Tulo and Martin and morales contract to get a good prospect . Then sign 2sp and 3 rp and an OF. to flip at the deadline. Then trade pillar and Smoak at deadline.

Net 11 prospects without blocking big prospects
    Problem with that is Tulo, Martin and Morales aren't very good any more so even if the Jays were to eat their salary I doubt we get much back, maybe a level C prospect

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast