Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Saints acquire Eli Apple from Giants

Costed a 4th and a 7th. In 2019, they'll have a 2nd, 5th, and 6th.

Not sure what to think. He's struggled, but has talent. Another OSU guy.

PFF has Apple as an above average CB. With the way this season is going, I guess the Saints are thinking we can make a Superbowl run. Rumor was Pat Peterson was interested, if true, and the Saints were interested chances are the asking price was too high because Pat Peterson is ranked as a high quality CB, notch below elite status. So obviously adding Pat Peterson would have been ideal. But I think Apple helps some based on what we have at CB and CB play has been questionable week to week. If he can slow down Thielen and Diggs Sunday night, that would be great haha!
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Peterson is better, but the Cards would be crazy to trade him.

Apple just has to be a CB2. Above average might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    PFF has Apple as an above average CB. With the way this season is going, I guess the Saints are thinking we can make a Superbowl run. Rumor was Pat Peterson was interested, if true, and the Saints were interested chances are the asking price was too high because Pat Peterson is ranked as a high quality CB, notch below elite status. So obviously adding Pat Peterson would have been ideal. But I think Apple helps some based on what we have at CB and CB play has been questionable week to week. If he can slow down Thielen and Diggs Sunday night, that would be great haha!
    You mustíve never seen Apple play. Heís gonna be lost, beat or a PI
    the New York Football Giants select.....

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    You mustíve never seen Apple play. Heís gonna be lost, beat or a PI
    Its noted that Apple had some ups and downs at CB. It seems you are focusing heavily on the downs.

So this is what I'll do I'm compare Eli Apple to Jalen Ramsey. I think most would say that's an unfair comparison.
    Here are the numbers on a per game basis

Player From To Solo Ast Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
    Eli Apple 2016 2018 3.4 0.6 0.0 0.1 0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    Jalen Ramsey 2016 2018 3.3 0.6 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.2 2.5 0.0

Again, the eyeball test clearly makes one feel that Ramsey is the better CB, but when you look at the actual per game production................

Solo tackles per game, Eli has slightly more than Ramsey in their career comparisons
    Eli has the same assisted tackles per game
    Eli has more Forced fumbles per game
    Eli has more Fumble recoveries per game

Am I saying Eli Apple is better than Ramsey? NO, but I'm showing that PFF has Apple as an above average corner and Why they have him rated that way. I compared Apples's production per game to that of a corner that many would consider a waaaay better corner in Ramsey. PFF has them both as above average corners. When you look at the numbers you can see why.

Now lets look at a PFF average ranked CB's per game numbers from the same draft class as Apple and Ramsey to see if there's a difference.

Keep in mind these are all first round CBs from the same draft class. Artie Burns

Artie Burns 2016 2018 2.9 0.6 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.3 0.0

Solo tackles per game, force fumbles, fumble recoveries all less than Eli Apple's

Interceptions per game CAN be misleading because sometimes if you are playing well, QBs just dont throw your way as much as they used to in the old days.

Anyway, maybe Apple isn't as bad as you stated? Game to game production shows it in my opinion.

For my Who Dat Nation peeps PFF has Lattimore as above average and here is his per game production:
    Marshon Lattimore 2017 2018 3.1 0.6 0.0 0.1 0.1 1.9 0.0 0.3 4.5 0.1

I think we have ourselves two legit above average corners now. Ken Crawley is ranked as an average CB btw.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Under nice breakdown. I think this is a good pick up for the Saints as he is an extremely talented player being the 10th overall pick in his draft and now he is playing with guys he is familiar with. Just to throw this out there the 2018 draft wasn't bad after all. This is what the Saints now have in 2018 due to draft picks.

1st - Davenport
    2nd - none
    3rd - TreQuan
    3rd - Teddy Bridgewater
    4th - Eli Apple
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

I'm optimistic about Apple. If he's better than Crawley has been this year, I'm happy.

Apple is more talented then Crawley. I think he needed a change of scenery. Collins called him a cancer last year and there is no repairing that. Now he is with guys he has known since at least college I am hoping that helps him. The other day he was at the Pelicans game with Vonn Bell. At least one safety on the team likes him.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

Maybe he needed the Saints in a blessing in disguise there. Been really great!
    Ready for Thanksgiving!