Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    I know we talked about it earlier, but I'm not a big fan of the Moose deal. I haven't heard the full financials, but reports are saying it's either $9 or $10 mill and has a mutual option next year, so my guess is it's a $9 mill deal with a $1 mill buyout.

Feels like for $9 mill we could have upgraded elsewhere. I don't love moving shaw back to 2nd. This probably spells the end for thames, which means shaw may actually get a fair amount of starts at 1st against tough righties. So I doubt shaw is a full time 2B, but he probably plays a decent amount of innings there now.

Im interested in seeing what type of deal marwin Gonzalez gets now. He's right handed and bore versatile, so it feels like he would have made more sense if he could have been had for a similar deal.

Moose deal is 7 million for 2019 with a 3 million buyout of the mutual option. Hopefully Moose can play 2nd and just be amazing and turn down the option himself. I've thought all along Moose makes more sense at 2nd because he is shorter, I remember watching a short clip after they acquired him and thought he looked smoother than Shaw (for like the 1 minute I saw). I am really interested to see what Marwin Gonzalez gets as well, hopefully we offered him a similar deal and he is just holding out for a multi-year deal. I get we really only wanted a 1 year deal with Huira around.

I think he gets the payout either way to be honest. So I don't think it matters who turns it down but I could be wrong.

Darn, I just assumed that if the player turns it down they don't get paid, but I have seen it written that he got 10 million guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think he gets the payout either way to be honest. So I don't think it matters who turns it down but I could be wrong.
    You're correct. Its a way of signing a 1-year deal and shifting some of the money to next season. Designed to give us more financial flexibility.

Is it baseball season yet? At this rate its going to be below zero on opening day....

Any chance we end up trading a starter for some depth somewhere else a couple prospects, I think Davies or Anderson would be a prime trade candidate. I think Chacin, Nelson, and Woodruff are almost assured spots (Nelson still might need to be stretched out a bit) Burnes and Peralta haven't been great and Davies and Anderson have stunk. I'm sure there are at least a couple teams that would give us a decent prospect or 2 for one of those guys.

Problem is there isn't much behind them. It's highly unlikely we get through the schedule with only 5 starters. We don't have much in AAA beyond the guys we have battling for spots now. If we deal one of them, we could be in trouble if injuries set in.

Also, it sounded unlikely that Nelson would break camp with the team. His last performance may have changed that a little, but just from a team building perspective, I wouldnt be shocked if we don't bring Nelson with to the bigs just to keep the roster flexible, similar to how we kept Aguilar, thames and the other dude at first just to keep some flexibility.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789