Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    That kind of money should be for a top 10 player. Right now, only 11 players in the league are making $30M or more per year. Curry, Westbrook, Paul, James, Griffin, Hayward, Lowry, Harden, George, Conley and Durant. Lowry and Conley are probably a tad overpaid and we still have to wait and see on Hayward. If they give Klay $38M, he'll be making the same as Westbrook, Lebron and Paul. Sorry, but Klay doesn't belong in that group of names. He's a role player that is strictly a catch and shoot guy that plays decent defense.
    So ... you'd rather have a vet minimum contract player fill that role?

If you don't want to blow the team up the team will be FAR better off paying Klay, even if they are overpaying him.

I don't care about the owners money when it makes no difference on the ability of the team to add other talent, and with Curry and Green under contract and the cap hold for KD the team would not have money to go for ANY comparable player to replace Klay. It's a non-starter.

Klay is not a super-star, but that's not how the money decision can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    Not sure id call him a role player, but he doesnt fit in the top 10 players in the league. The consistency just isnt there. Its particularly annoying too because I see from time to time what he is capable of, and i dont know why we dont see that more often. he doesnt have to hit 14 3s every single game- but he cant go 2 straight weeks looking like an average player.
    The problem with that thinking is that the number of players who are absolutely consistently star level is incredibly small and that's not what the NBA had in mind when the CBA was written. The idea was for every team to have 2 to 3 players at that level, and there are NOT now nor have there ever been 90 consistent stars in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The problem with that thinking is that the number of players who are absolutely consistently star level is incredibly small and that's not what the NBA had in mind when the CBA was written. The idea was for every team to have 2 to 3 players at that level, and there are NOT now nor have there ever been 90 consistent stars in the NBA.
    wait a second though..... there are not 90 players making 38 million a year nor have there ever been. Heck there arent even 60 guys making 38 million a yr. There are like 15 making over 30 million per yr (and some are bad examples to follow because they are clearly overpaid)

wait a second though..... there are not 90 players making 38 million a year nor have there ever been. Heck there arent even 60 guys making 38 million a yr. There are like 15 making over 30 million per yr (and some are bad examples to follow because they are clearly overpaid)
    The point is not the $38M it's the "max contract" ... The Warriors currently have 4 players on essentially max contracts.

Its up to a team to determine how they allocate their money to their roster. Of course, the best players are going to get the most money and Thompson isn't the "best" player nor is he the second best on this team. When he's out with the second unit, he tries to be the #1 offensive option and it rarely works out because those bench players don't garner the attention of a Curry or Durant and he struggles.

Its easy for us to sit here and figure out how to spend someone else's money, but in the end, its business. Would you rather re-sign Klay to a max contract and compete for another championship or save nearly $20M while putting a similar product on the court that would probably bring you a championship anyways? Which is why I mentioned Middleton, who is a much more rounded offensive player than Klay and isn't a bad three point shooter either and won't come with a $38M price tag.

Its up to a team to determine how they allocate their money to their roster. Of course, the best players are going to get the most money and Thompson isn't the "best" player nor is he the second best on this team. When he's out with the second unit, he tries to be the #1 offensive option and it rarely works out because those bench players don't garner the attention of a Curry or Durant and he struggles.

Its easy for us to sit here and figure out how to spend someone else's money, but in the end, its business. Would you rather re-sign Klay to a max contract and compete for another championship or save nearly $20M while putting a similar product on the court that would probably bring you a championship anyways? Which is why I mentioned Middleton, who is a much more rounded offensive player than Klay and isn't a bad three point shooter either and won't come with a $38M price tag.
    Okay, you are the GM of the Warriors.

You mentioned Middleton who the Warriors can't sign without somehow clearing $20M of space under the cap, and to do that they would have to gut the roster, which isn't just saving money for the owners but losing a LOT more games in an incredibly expensive new arena.

Who do you replace Klay with on a veteran minimum deal. THAT is the real question.

Steph, Dray, and KD total $90M with a $109M cap and THAT is assuming they renounce all of their free agents and find a way to trade away Andre, Shaun, Evans, Jones, and McKinnie without taking a penny back in salary. If KD opts out the total between those 3 players with KDs cap hold goes UP to $105M of the $109M cap. So, you get $4M to sign Klay's replacement, and you've lost Iguodala, Livingston, Jones, Looney, Evans, Bell, Cook, McKinnie, AND Klay Thompson. To get there you will have to trade away several future draft picks gutting the future of the team. In addition you have destroyed the image of the team that it uses to lure players to come play on cheap contracts.

Or, you can renounce all the free agents including KD, keep your draft picks and the current players under contract and be at about $91M with $18M in space, and maybe Middleton agrees to join the team which leaves you with Curry, Middleton, Green, Jones, Iguodala, Livingston, McKinnie, Evans, a draft pick, and whatever else you can put together to build the team. The problem there is that Middleton is going to be a free agent in market with a glut of cap space. Where more than half the teams will STILL have more space than the Warriors to offer him, so realistically you are not going to sign Middleton, and your all-time team of players in their primes is now 2 all-nba players and a bunch of cast offs.

So, which option do you take? Spend some money the owners have and have said they are happy to spend to win, or gut the team and never be close to the same again?

^^ westcoastsportz doesnít want to go that deep in terms of cap talk. He has his opinions and heís going to stick to em until the end when it comes to Thompson.

Besides, he makes the point that Middleton doesnít come with a $38MM price tag and yet he admits that Thompson could command that kind of money. If what heís saying is true, then Thompson is more valuable to teams, including the Warriors since the topic is being discussed in the first place. Lol Middleton isnít close to Klay Thompson elite and itís not close.

Thompson has a top 5 skill of all time and frankly almost no one else in the league right now can say that. And itís not my money anyways
    Last edited by COOLbeans; 10-31-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    ^^ westcoastsportz doesnít want to go that deep in terms of cap talk. He has his opinions and heís going to stick to em until the end when it comes to Thompson.

Besides, he makes the point that Middleton doesnít come with a $38MM price tag and yet he admits that Thompson could command that kind of money. If what heís saying is true, then Thompson is more valuable to teams, including the Warriors since the topic is being discussed in the first place. Lol Middleton isnít close to Klay Thompson elite and itís not close.

Thompson has a top 5 skill of all time and frankly almost no one else in the league right now can say that. And itís not my money anyways
    No different than your opinions of Klay being elite, so I don't get the point of your post. And you may want to pay more attention to what your reading because I NEVER said that Klay will "command" that kind of money. I said that Klay will want $38M which I've repeatedly said that he's not worth it. So sure, misquote people to make your own point, but also expect to get called out for it.

What exactly is Klay elite at? Shooting the 3? Kyle Korver was an elite 3 point shooter as well. Does that make him an elite player? You've must not have watched Middleton play much. Middleton is a much better all around offensive player than Klay and much better than you're giving him credit for. Klay is a 42% career 3 point shooter. Middleton is at 39.6%.

I went through this whole thing with Monta Ellis. People here kept saying he was a superstar player and I was never an Ellis fan, so I'm going to stick to my guns with Klay as well.
    Last edited by WestCoastSportz; 10-31-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Iím no Monta homer. I like him for what he brought, but cmon, we can always go to past threads.

And why are we discussing this further if you donít think Klay will be offered that kind of money? 30MM is very similar to 38MM imo and what youíre saying is heís only worth about maybe 20MM?

Can you be clear in your posts? Youíre saying Middleton May get 20MM but heís better than Thompson?

So that means you thin Klay should get below 20MM in this market? Just want clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    Iím no Monta homer. I like him for what he brought, but cmon, we can always go to past threads.

And why are we discussing this further if you donít think Klay will be offered that kind of money? 30MM is very similar to 38MM imo and what youíre saying is heís only worth about maybe 20MM?

Can you be clear in your posts? Youíre saying Middleton May get 20MM but heís better than Thompson?

So that means you thin Klay should get below 20MM in this market? Just want clarity.

Thompson is making $18M this year, which I feel is around his market value. $18M-$22M, which is also the value of someone like Middleton. Do I think Middleton is a better all around offensive player than Klay? Absolutely. So I guess to make it clear...if Klay gets $38M a year, he'd be grossly overpaid, in my opinion. He's not worth $38M a year and its not even close. But my opinion doesn't determine how much a team is willing to offer a player and Thompson is in the limelight for a large market team while someone like Middleton is in Milwaukee who would be lucky to get 1 nationally televised game a year even though they're the only undefeated team in the league right now at 7-0. Middleton is a $25M-28M a year player but is overlooked because of the team he's playing for and the market they're in.

Thompson is making $18M this year, which I feel is around his market value. $18M-$22M, which is also the value of someone like Middleton. Do I think Middleton is a better all around offensive player than Klay? Absolutely. So I guess to make it clear...if Klay gets $38M a year, he'd be grossly overpaid, in my opinion. He's not worth $38M a year and its not even close. But my opinion doesn't determine how much a team is willing to offer a player and Thompson is in the limelight for a large market team while someone like Middleton is in Milwaukee who would be lucky to get 1 nationally televised game a year even though they're the only undefeated team in the league right now at 7-0. Middleton is a $25M-28M a year player but is overlooked because of the team he's playing for and the market they're in.
    Except what Klay makes doesn't really matter because he can't reasonably be replaced on this team.

On the Middleton Klay comparism- Middleton had a poor stats night but was still +33. Klay was -28. Very telling. One of them is a winner

On the Middleton Klay comparism- Middleton had a poor stats night but was still +33. Klay was -28. Very telling. One of them is a winner
    One of them was a key player in 3 titles, one of them has played in 7 total playoff wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    One of them was a key player in 3 titles, one of them has played in 7 total playoff wins.
    And how much of that was Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Kevin Durant? Do you think they can still win a championship if you took Klay off this roster? I think they can.

And how much of that was Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Kevin Durant? Do you think they can still win a championship if you took Klay off this roster? I think they can.
    Maybe, but the Warriors need more shooting, a problem that gets a lot worse without Klay, and once again, why let him go when it's essentially impossible to replace him?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast