Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 596 of 742 FirstFirst ... 96496546586594595596597598606646696 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,940 of 11127
    Re: Voter suppression……

Voter suppression is pretty much BS.

Your vote can only be suppressed if you allow it to be suppressed.

We are 6 months out from this years's election. I'm quite sure that anyonbe could contact their local (probably county wide) Board of Elections and see: 1. if they are qualified to vote, 2. if they are registered or 3 what they need to do to get registered to qualify to vote. They have 6 months to do this.

Groups that do all the whining about voter suppression can round up the bodies six months in advance and get their people registered. It is not that hard.

I told this before…Florida mails out ballots to everyone well in advance so you can study them and think about your choice; we have 2 weeks early voting, voting machines are distributed according to population counts, durng the early voting period, you can vote anywhere. It takes me 15 minutes to vote when I go early.

People that don't read the ballots in advance and don't vote early face lines on election day. Some lines get long and people see the lines, don't vote and complain about voter suppression. The poorer neighborhoods (read that "of color") seem to have this problem more than middle class and affluent neighborhoods.

The differences in the neighborhoods get publicized and …surprise…it becomes voter suppression. It is not voter suppression.

Any time someone really wants to to something, they will do whatever it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post

We are 6 months out from this years's election. I'm quite sure that anyonbe could contact their local (probably county wide) Board of Elections and see: 1. if they are qualified to vote, 2. if they are registered or 3 what they need to do to get registered to qualify to vote. They have 6 months to do this.

Groups that do all the whining about voter suppression can round up the bodies six months in advance and get their people registered. It is not that hard.

I told this before…Florida mails out ballots to everyone well in advance so you can study them and think about your choice; we have 2 weeks early voting, voting machines are distributed according to population counts, durng the early voting period, you can vote anywhere. It takes me 15 minutes to vote when I go early.

People that don't read the ballots in advance and don't vote early face lines on election day. Some lines get long and people see the lines, don't vote and complain about voter suppression. The poorer neighborhoods (read that "of color") seem to have this problem more than middle class and affluent neighborhoods.

The differences in the neighborhoods get publicized and …surprise…it becomes voter suppression. It is not voter suppression.

Wow. I don’t even know where to begin. I don’t want to go all cliche lib bashing here but that’s really a position of privilege there. You really have to see what’s going on in some of these districts (by both parties mind you).

Courts have established rulings on voter suppression tactics by both parties. But yeah it’s BS. Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Wow. I don’t even know where to begin. I don’t want to go all cliche lib bashing here but that’s really a position of privilege there. You really have to see what’s going on in some of these districts (by both parties mind you).

Courts have established rulings on voter suppression tactics by both parties. But yeah it’s BS. Come on.
    Their has been enough reporting to show how voter suppression works from what the gop did in WI, to the endless hoops that people have to go through to get a voter ID, like only being able to get one of you go to a certain place on a Thursday between 9-12 and is miles away from a lot of people that can’t drive to it or take public transportation.

Then when you do all that they may invalidate your ID because the signatures do not match.

Come Election Day, they will have limited amount of polling places in certain districts to try and suppress the vote like that because nobody wants to stand on line for 2-5 hours waiting to vote, meanwhile in places where they want the votes counted because they are likely vote their way, they have plenty of poles open.

Then we have the voter rolls abolishing where they just eliminate thousands upon thousands of people from the rolls and may times people don’t know it.

I don’t get why every state does not have mail in ballots and this included NY and is not a holiday so everybody can have a chance to vote, but I know the answer.

never thought I'd see you and Walter agree on anything, but apparently both of you don't believe Bernie votes were not suppressed.

It's a brave new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    never thought I'd see you and Walter agree on anything, but apparently both of you don't believe Bernie votes were not suppressed.
    Wow you can’t stop thinking about me can you? It’s not my fault you don’t know what voter suppression is and I’m done trying to explain it to you.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Their has been enough reporting to show how voter suppression works from what the gop did in WI, to the endless hoops that people have to go through to get a voter ID, like only being able to get one of you go to a certain place on a Thursday between 9-12 and is miles away from a lot of people that can’t drive to it or take public transportation.

Then when you do all that they may invalidate your ID because the signatures do not match.

Come Election Day, they will have limited amount of polling places in certain districts to try and suppress the vote like that because nobody wants to stand on line for 2-5 hours waiting to vote, meanwhile in places where they want the votes counted because they are likely vote their way, they have plenty of poles open.

Then we have the voter rolls abolishing where they just eliminate thousands upon thousands of people from the rolls and may times people don’t know it.

I don’t get why every state does not have mail in ballots and this included NY and is not a holiday so everybody can have a chance to vote, but I know the answer.
    Para 1…Endless hoops……ever buy a house? or a piece of real estate? do you have a passport? there are endless hoops to do this. If you want the property or a passport, you will jump through the endless hoops. Limited number of places to get voter ID…quite sure this happens in small populated rural counties and there is probably not much you can do about it. There a places where you have to go ten mile for a loaf or bread. However, and bear this in mind, getting registered and ID's is something you will only have to do once. Then you should be set. Not nearly the big deal you are making it out to be.

Para 2…Signatures…few signatures drastically change to the point that it will be questioned. A photo ID would help here. Also if a signature does not match, the applicant can be asked to sign it as he/she did before. (Usually signature issues pop up with using/not using middle initials or with women going to a married or back to a maiden name. Easily correctable.) Not nearly the big deal you are making it out to be.

Para 3…early voting will solve this problem. There are a few states that still do not allow early voting. Don't know why. This should be a no brainer. Polling places are probably assigned by population. Some groups are more likely to vote early than others. Maybe those that don't could do a better job of figuring things out. (I illustrated this several times.)

Para 4…Voter rolls are nothing more than a data base. Data bases are purged periodically to make them more efficient. (I purge my customer once a year in December.) I doubt if they purge voter rolls just before the election. If you haven't voted for a while it is a simple matter to call your Board of Elections and see what's what. And voters are "purged" they are not "abolished."

Pare5…Mail in ballots are and would be a disaster. You do not know who is voting. Every close election will be called for fraud and take weeks (or longer) to be decided and will be decided in courts. Mail in ballots are for the lazy and are a terrible idea.

And keep in ming (asking a lot, I know) that 130 million people voted in the last election. With that many people involved there will always be some problems,

Having responded to all this, I am in favor of…
    Early voting everywhere. At least 2 weeks prior to election day.
    Move election day to a Monday and have all businesses close from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
    Make photo ID mandatory…make getting photo ID free to those that do not already have one

It would not bother me if we instituted a penalty for not voting.

A penalty for not voting? Da **** outta here.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    A penalty for not voting? Da **** outta here.
    Yeah, a gawd awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yeah, a gawd awful idea.
    Easy to implement and it gets more people to vote. See nothing wrong with that.

So that's a terrible idea but vote by mail is OK.

Right.

obama is pushing biden... my god. People think trump is bad wait for biden

i have 0 issues with people who dont vote as long as they honestly dont complain about who is in office etc

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Honestly I expect Biden to just be a warm body taking up space in the White House. That's far superior to Trump.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

So that's a terrible idea but vote by mail is OK.
    Absolutely.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    A liar as opposed to a Liar? A flip flop to try and play things politically to take advantage throughout their history as opposed to a flip flop to try and play things politically to take advantage throughout their history? An old white man with sexual allegations who plays extreme identity politics or an old white man with sexual allegations who plays extreme identity politics?

We will get something very similar just pushing policies more towards center. A little less divisiveness/insanity/attacking others and instead just more ridiculous bloopers (or more scarily signs of dementia).

I think the "supporting cast" will be more influential with Biden which is a good thing since we don't want either of these guys actually making decisions/in charge/responsible for much. Right now we seem to just have revolving doors based on sucking up to Trump not actual experts and so on being appointed. Obviously Biden would play political games too but I think Trump has gone to extremes we haven't really seen before in some of these people lacking qualifications and the revolving doors etc.