Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 233 of 949 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333733 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 14229
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    The largest crowd is the electorate. They show up on election day. The electorate is not as stupid as you may think they re. An awful lot of people are turned off by most of the Dems running.
    Except that doesn't actually matter either. For perspective, 2.5 million more of the electorate said they'd rather have Hillary. Even having the most people turned off by you is irrelevant for the purposes of the electoral college. Trump was more hated than Hillary and still won. Democrats could theoretically do the same thing (though in practice, the electoral college being what it is, generally the only person who lose the popular vote but win the Presidency will be Republicans).

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    If Biden gets it I’m not so sure he runs with anyone else in the field. He’s not a lock to beat Trump so I can’t imagine Warren risking her progressive and antiestablishment base for a future run by buddying with Biden.

But they need Biden to crash and burn fast.

Bernie and Warren are the only ones with consistent messaging and a platform that’s bigger than themselves and speaks to the working class.

Whatever right wing pseudo populism that Trump won over in 2016, Bernie and Warren can win with left wing populism.

I know they think safe moderates are the “normal” that swing districts are craving, but it seems more and more that what people are craving are reps that are as pissed off as they are. Trump and Bernie.
    I don't think that being Joe's VP is "buddying" with Biden. If he wins, I think it would be a very good move for her to try and bridge the gap. I doubt Joe runs for a second term, so I would say it's a savvy move for her to start laying the groundwork. She can run both on what they accomplish as a team as well as point out where she is different.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

marychristine Guest
    My, aren't you the charmer.
    A truther. Charmer when I need to be... probably one of the best of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Except that doesn't actually matter either. For perspective, 2.5 million more of the electorate said they'd rather have Hillary. Even having the most people turned off by you is irrelevant for the purposes of the electoral college. Trump was more hated than Hillary and still won. Democrats could theoretically do the same thing (though in practice, the electoral college being what it is, generally the only person who lose the popular vote but win the Presidency will be Republicans).
    I think we have been over this a thousand times.

Did trump do what he needed to do to win………yes.

If the system was different…1: the campaigning would have been different. I don't think they even campaigned in CA and NY. and 2: more people (on both sides) would have voted if they thought their vote made a difference. How many Repubs didn't bother voting at all in CA and NY?

So whining about the popular vote is pointless. We just do not know what would have happened.

Again…Did trump do what he needed to do to win………yes.

case closed.

If the system was different…1: the campaigning would have been different. I don't think they even campaigned in CA and NY. and 2: more people (on both sides) would have voted if they thought their vote made a difference. How many Repubs didn't bother voting at all in CA and NY?

So whining about the popular vote is pointless. We just do not know what would have happened.

case closed.
    This is a very tough question to answer. But what I can say is that there were 2.6 million registered Republicans in New York as of 2018 and 2.8 million people that voted for Trump in the state of New York. Meanwhile there were 5.8 million registered Democrats in New York as of 2018 and 4.5 million people that voted for Trump.

This discrepancy appears to be explained by the increased voter registration numbers for Democrats. I know these factoids don't really amount to a hill of beans but I find them interesting and maybe someone else does too. The articles that I used are Wikipedia and a story from the New York Post.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/01/new-yo...registrations/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...on_in_New_York
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

case closed.
    We have been over this, and I agree, Trump did what he needed to do to win (though I disagree he would have actually won the popular vote is the system).

I'm not crying about the popular vote, I'm pointing out you saying the largest crowd size is the electorate is irrelevant, because the size of the electorate doesn't matter (as we know by virtue of it not electing the President).

We also know that despite you saying how hated Democrats were in the last election, more people actually liked the Democratic nominee.

So in order to close the case, kindly stop saying that the size of the electorate matters or is the biggest crowd, because it's not that relevant.

We have been over this, and I agree, Trump did what he needed to do to win (though I disagree he would have actually won the popular vote is the system).

I'm not crying about the popular vote, I'm pointing out you saying the largest crowd size is the electorate is irrelevant, because the size of the electorate doesn't matter (as we know by virtue of it not electing the President).

We also know that despite you saying how hated Democrats were in the last election, more people actually liked the Democratic nominee.

So in order to close the case, kindly stop saying that the size of the electorate matters or is the biggest crowd, because it's not that relevant.
    Bold 1…the size of the electorate does matter since the states that Trump won had to have a size big enough to give him the win.

Bold 2…unless everyone votes, we do not know this for sure. We know that more people voted for Hilly. We do not know what the outcome would have been if everyone voted,

I'm in favor of…

1 Getting rid of the electoral college and going with the total vote if…
    2 Everyone is forced to vote (many countries do this) and …
    3 We all have the same method of voting with plenty of early voting and…
    4 There is voter ID

Bold 1…the size of the electorate does matter since the states that Trump won had to have a size big enough to give him the win.

Bold 2…unless everyone votes, we do not know this for sure. We know that more people voted for Hilly. We do not know what the outcome would have been if everyone voted,

I'm in favor of…

1 Getting rid of the electoral college and going with the total vote if…
    2 Everyone is forced to vote (many countries do this) and …
    3 We all have the same method of voting with plenty of early voting and…
    4 There is voter ID
    1. Yes and no. Obviously, saying "the electorate is the biggest crowd size" in reference to who has the largest crowd size is disingenuous at best.

2. Of course we don't know this for sure. But given how many more votes Hillary had coupled with how truly hated and disliked Trump is, it's very unlikely there was a sizeable group of Trump voters who didn't already vote for him.

As for your proposal, I'd agree with some slight revisions:

2. Everyone is forced to make an election, whether it is voting for a candidate or marking that they do not wish to vote.
    3. Agreed
    4. There is voter ID so long as the Government (Federal or State) provides the ability for low income personnel, personnel in rural areas, the elderly, etc. to get IDs at little to no charge or inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    This is a very tough question to answer. But what I can say is that there were 2.6 million registered Republicans in New York as of 2018 and 2.8 million people that voted for Trump in the state of New York. Meanwhile there were 5.8 million registered Democrats in New York as of 2018 and 4.5 million people that voted for Trump.

This discrepancy appears to be explained by the increased voter registration numbers for Democrats. I know these factoids don't really amount to a hill of beans but I find them interesting and maybe someone else does too. The articles that I used are Wikipedia and a story from the New York Post.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/01/new-yo...registrations/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...on_in_New_York
    Many people do not vote when the figure their vote is irrelevant. That's the primary reason votes are not reported until the polls close.

For many, voting is seen as inconvenient and for e=reasons like that a Repub in Manhattan may just as soon skip the aggravation.

I also don't think ballots should be loaded up with judges, amendments and other stuff that slows the process down. That's a real problem here in Florida. We need another way to do that. Maybe leave them off presidential election years, vote by personal computer on minor issues etc. It has been a big issue in Florida and leads to……da dah …the ever popular claims of disenfranchisement of minorities.

1. Yes and no. Obviously, saying "the electorate is the biggest crowd size" in reference to who has the largest crowd size is disingenuous at best.

2. Of course we don't know this for sure. But given how many more votes Hillary had coupled with how truly hated and disliked Trump is, it's very unlikely there was a sizeable group of Trump voters who didn't already vote for him.

As for your proposal, I'd agree with some slight revisions:

2. Everyone is forced to make an election, whether it is voting for a candidate or marking that they do not wish to vote.
    3. Agreed
    4. There is voter ID so long as the Government (Federal or State) provides the ability for low income personnel, personnel in rural areas, the elderly, etc. to get IDs at little to no charge or inconvenience.

I can go along with this to a point. People need to make the effort and stop complaining. If they can get to the store, church, school etc. they should be able to find a way to get themselves ID'd. very, very few people fit the category you are describing. And it should be free.

Additional food for thought…should be great in a close election in an area that has all these homeless. People will be crying that they didn't get a chance to vote. And while they are correct, there is really nothing that can be done about it. So they will be…da dah…disenfranchised.

marychristine Guest
    Many people do not vote when the figure their vote is irrelevant. That's the primary reason votes are not reported until the polls close.

For many, voting is seen as inconvenient and for e=reasons like that a Repub in Manhattan may just as soon skip the aggravation.

I also don't think ballots should be loaded up with judges, amendments and other stuff that slows the process down. That's a real problem here in Florida. We need another way to do that. Maybe leave them off presidential election years, vote by personal computer on minor issues etc. It has been a big issue in Florida and leads to……da dah …the ever popular claims of disenfranchisement of minorities.
    What evidence do you havd to suggest that your vote matters? Yaknowhatimean

Based on what I've seen about her, she seems like an excellent choice. I did a cursory check of her from On The Issues and she ticks a lot of boxes for me. I will say I would feel much better about him if he had someone of Stacey's experience as VP. I also love the fact that she could potentially make Georgia a swing state in an election where they will have two senators up for election.
    She made it a swing state when she should of won the governorship, that other dude used every ****ing trick and voter suppression trap to win.

marychristine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    She made it a swing state when she should of won the governorship, that other dude used every ****ing trick and voter suppression trap to win.
    Lolol voter suppression trap. Hahahahah. How the **** is that

Quote Originally Posted by marychristine View Post
    Lolol voter suppression trap. Hahahahah. How the **** is that
    The voter purges that Georgia executed in 2018 and even leading up to it.

marychristine Guest
    The voter purges that Georgia executed in 2018 and even leading up to it.
    I wasnt asking you. Butt. Out.