Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 559 of 675 FirstFirst ... 59459509549557558559560561569609659 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 10114
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    More like Mr Magoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seriously. No need to diss Obi-Wan Kenobi by comparing him to a washed up old politician.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If Bernie truly cares about beating Trump, he will make an announcement tonight saying that he's dropping out of the race. If on the other hand, if he's really just here to cause trouble (like I think); then he will stay in the race.
    I'm sorry, but how exactly does Bernie staying in the race "cause trouble"? Bernie represents a sizable chunk of the democratic electorate and is the face of the progressive movement, you can't expect him to just pack up and go home. His supporters care very much about his policy proposals and his platform, and they deserve to have their voices heard.

What they do not deserve, is to be told to shut up and vote blue no matter who because the alternative is worse. Biden can't sit up there and say he would veto M4A if it passed both chambers of Congress or float Jamie Dimon/Mike Bloomberg for banking positions and expect Bernie's supporters to just fall in line. I understand very well that Biden has consolidated a majority of the democratic electorate, but the democratic electorate is extremely broad in race, class, gender, and in ideology. Biden said last night his goal was to unite the Democratic Party, I will hold him to that. If he wants to successfully unite the party, he needs the progressive movement and he cannot reasonably expect the progressive movement to get behind him when he wants to create the same failed system that got Trump elected in the first place, New Democratic Neoliberalism. He can go down the same road as Hillary and run as the centrist candidate (the most centrist candidate has lost the last 5 general elections) or throw the progressives a bone to unite the party. He would obviously be a better President than Trump, but that is an astonishingly low bar. It has to be more than just beating Trump, so it's up to him to earn the progressive vote. For everyone's sake I hope he does, but I'm waiting.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 03-18-2020 at 07:42 AM.

If Bernie truly cares about beating Trump, he will make an announcement tonight saying that he's dropping out of the race. If on the other hand, if he's really just here to cause trouble (like I think); then he will stay in the race.
    What is the correlation between dropping out right now and being sincere about beating Trump?

Biden isn't going to try to untie anything. He will have a centrist running mate, no progressives in his administration and bankers in financial positions. He even said as much with his wish list. Bloomberg in a cabinet position?

Well she is actually. Not a great person. I really do not like her at all. But she’s been a great politician in DC.
    A great politician for whom? Surely not for progressive or minority concerns The first time she was house leader, democrat lost seats across the country and majority rule in the House. I just waiting for great things from her as a house leader this second time like more compromising with Republicans.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.

The people would tend to disagree with you. I’d recommend you look at the number of people who voted for Biden and compare that number to those for Sanders. This notion that Bernie is the person speaking for the people and everyone else is terrible certainly only seems to exist in the mind of a very small minority.

I don’t support their politics but I wish Democrats cared half as much about winning as Republicans do. They don’t like Trump even a bit but went out and voted for Trump because they knew they would get some of the things they wanted. They can do math. Even if Trump gives them 50% of what they want, that’s far more favorable than 10-20% that they would have gotten from Clinton.
    So we should be more like Trump's base? Do you know what you are saying? Our posts should reflect special's posts with blind support for a democrat leader just because he is a democrat leader?

Democrats like you are the reason the party is as bad as it is. You hold them accountable for nothing and you wish we would do the same for the good of the party.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-18-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What is the correlation between dropping out right now and being sincere about beating Trump?
    Not further dividing the party and giving Biden space to coalesce the party. Last time he dropped out in late July. That gave Hillary not very long to do the same. This would give Biden nearly four more month when the outcome is all but certain. Last time I ran the numbers and Bernie needed a rounding error less than 60% in order to clinch the nomination. That number has now risen to 67% of the remaining delegates while it is 50.5% for Biden. One of those is a reasonable number to obtain with the remaining races meanwhile the other is held by Sanders (hint hint).

Of the remaining states, the largest delegate hauls are: Wisconsin (84), New York (274), Pennsylvania (186), Indiana (82), Georgia (105), Maryland (96), New Jersey (126), Ohio (136). Now tell me which of those states you see Bernie pulling off a win that holds Joe out of 15%, since that's what it's going to take to make up the required 2/3 of the remaining delegates to win.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Not further dividing the party and giving Biden space to coalesce the party. Last time he dropped out in late July. That gave Hillary not very long to do the same. This would give Biden nearly four more month when the outcome is all but certain. Last time I ran the numbers and Bernie needed a rounding error less than 60% in order to clinch the nomination. That number has now risen to 67% of the remaining delegates while it is 50.5% for Biden. One of those is a reasonable number to obtain with the remaining races meanwhile the other is held by Sanders (hint hint).

Of the remaining states, the largest delegate hauls are: Wisconsin (84), New York (274), Pennsylvania (186), Indiana (82), Georgia (105), Maryland (96), New Jersey (126), Ohio (136). Now tell me which of those states you see Bernie pulling off a win that holds Joe out of 15%, since that's what it's going to take to make up the required 2/3 of the remaining delegates to win.
    OK, so he could drop out a month from now and still give Biden 3 more months than Clinton had to coalesce the party. I don't see anything particularly special about right now being the only time Bernie can drop out and wanting to defeat Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    OK, so he could drop out a month from now and still give Biden 3 more months than Clinton had to coalesce the party. I don't see anything particularly special about right now being the only time Bernie can drop out and wanting to defeat Trump.
    The special thing is that Bernie has essentially zero (I won't say zero because he COULD win 2/3 of the remaining delegates) of winning the nomination. He is wasting everyone's time and giving his supporters the dishonest impression that he is somehow going to walk away from the remaining races the nominee of the party.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

The special thing is that Bernie has essentially zero (I won't say zero because he COULD win 2/3 of the remaining delegates) of winning the nomination. He is wasting everyone's time and giving his supporters the dishonest impression that he is somehow going to walk away from the remaining races the nominee of the party.
    You literally voted for warren and bragged about it when she was in a spot with no real chance to win. She too acted like she had a chance but that didn't bother you. Hmmmm why the double standard now?

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    So we should be more like Trump's base? Do you know what you are saying? Our posts should reflect special's posts with blind support for a democrat leader just because he is a democrat leader?

Democrats like you are the reason the party is as bad as it is. You hold them accountable for nothing and you wish we would do the same for the good of the party.
    Why have any real standards?

Go team dem!

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    A great politician for whom? Surely not for progressive or minority concerns The first time she was house leader, democrat lost seats across the country and majority rule in the House. I just waiting for great things from her as a house leader this second time like more compromising with Republicans.
    I think we’re mixing “my preferred type of politician” with “good politician”.

Take Newt. He’s a vile human and I hate most of what he stands for. But he was a great politician. Like Pelosi knew how to whip votes.

I don’t like Nancy but she happens to be good at what she does for the goals she tries to achieve.

I think we’re mixing “my preferred type of politician” with “good politician”.

Take Newt. He’s a vile human and I hate most of what he stands for. But he was a great politician. Like Pelosi knew how to whip votes.

I don’t like Nancy but she happens to be good at what she does for the goals she tries to achieve.

Oh, that is such a comforting difference. The racist politicians who were successful in extending Jim Crow as long as it lasted have my deepest respect for accomplishing their goals. Watching these guys work for their donors to the disadvantage of the American workers over the last forty-some years, I not about to commend them for a job well done. That is just plain silly. It is almost like applauding someone on how well they kick your arse.

I am judging politicians on what their job description is, working for the benefit of the average Americans who they represent.

You are judging them on how well they push policies successfully instead of what those policies are.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-18-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Politico’s top 12 running mates for Biden: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-ranked-134256

Order is a bit odd other than Harris at 1 and some names on here that I’d be shocked if he was even considering.

When Biden first announced he was running, he said "Trump is like the bullies I beat up in high school." Trump's response was "Yeah, Biden's a real tough guy. If you blew on him, he would fall over."

What a great exchange! Please sign me up for more of that.