Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 747 of 872 FirstFirst ... 247647697737745746747748749757797847 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,205 of 13071
  1. #11191
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Did you feel the same with his executive orders this weekend?
    Including his comment about not just deferring but eliminating some payroll taxes?
    Frankly, I do not know if he has the right to make these exec orders or not.

    Is the end result a positive thing…yes. Will it be challenged in court…prob yes. Will it bring the dems back to the table on the bail out…prob yes.

    RE: Payroll taxes…no idea as to what the impact will be.

    I, personally, believe we would all be best served with a national sales tax and no payroll tax at all. Everyone, and I mean everyone, would pay the same sales tax on whatever we spend. And it should be a tax on everything…tuition,, food, health care, rent, mtges etc.If you want to hit the rich, charge a surtax on unnecessary luxury items. (e.g. homes over a certain size [7500 sq ft???] yachts, jewelry over a certain price, private jets, maybe some other items.) Keep FICA in place but remove the ceiling. Paying a national sales tax is fair and allows people to control how much they are taxed. Prices would probably lower themselves to fall into line.

  2. #11192
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,152
    For everyone wondering why the two sides can't get together and just give us the two trillion $$$ the dems want, do you have any idea how much $$$ this is????

    https://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html and these are $100s

    A trillion $1 dollar bills piled on top of one another would be 67,000 miles high.

    Laid end to end, it would go past the sun.

    The numbers are almost unimaginable.

    All this $$$ from the gov sounds great but it will be crippling down the road.

    Our national debt will never be paid down. The numbers make it impossible.

  3. #11193
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    the original question didn't involve whether Trump was competent, but just whether Billary was

    and yeah, competence can take on different meanings....Trump may very well be a competent business man by some definitions (some believe bankruptcy to just be good business at times), but he's not the CEO of the country (not sure he's ever realized that)

    part of it for me re Hillary was where a lot of campaign funding was coming from and what favors she may have promised leaders elsewhere as SoS
    Trump was a response to Sluggo. I don't think business schools consider bankruptcy as a creditable successful practices no more then Scientist thinks flat earth theories are true, just because some people thinks so and your example of Clinton can be said about the whole political system of funding and favors owed. She wouldn't have gotten those funding if she was incompetent in doing for them.
    Last edited by WES445; 08-10-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    WE STILL KNOW WHERE THE PITCHFORKS ARE:Beau of the Fifth Column, you tube.

  4. #11194
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Not true.

    People want to see competent and acceptable leaders who know (or seem to know) what they are doing.

    Biden will look like a fool if he is made to speak off the cuff for two hours. He just won't be able to do it. "C'mon man" only goes just so far.

    At least one of the debates will have tp be on FOX News (GASP!!!) so he'll =have to answer some real questions. The other two (if they get that far) will be Lemoned and Maddowed so there will be softball balloons lobbed at him (with possibly the questions given in advance) and even with that he will have trouble.

    The debates could also be used as an excuse to replace Biden. He stumbles, leans over, has difficulty catcihng his breath, the wife runs out etc. Perfect theater for a replacement for health reasons.

    But, relax, he should still win.
    I’m just going off historical polling and analysis. It’s such an inconsequential number of people who are swayed by the debate. It’s not like it used to be where a gaffe or a gotchya moment could ruin your chances. Not since the post 9/11 division. There’s just not enough true moderates on the fence by the time debates happen.


    If we had debates NOW I think they could be impactful. Also if we went back to having them run by The League of Women Voters instead of media who care more about inciting drama than quality debates.

    There used to be debate around actual policies. Now it’s all “Candidate A, Candidate B said you’re a big lying poop face. How do you respond to that?”


    Nobody wants substance. Today’s audience couldn’t handle more than 15 seconds of the Kennedy - Nixon debate without changing the channel. And the last thing media wants is anyone changing the channel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #11195
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    All Trump has to do is come out with some major event that "the people" eat up and these numbers will swing.

    Corona vaccine that works.

    Refuse to pay off any debt to China because they caused the virus.

    Not saying Trump will win, just saying that something major will happen to affect the vote.
    Trump will likely still win. He only won by a few thousand votes in a few states, but there’s no guarantee that the people who stayed home for Hillary will show up for Biden, and he certainly won’t bring out the progressives in Green Bay, Detroit, Miami, etc that Obama motivates and that Bernie could have.

    Factor in the nonsense that they’re pulling with blocking mail in voting during a pandemic when people don’t want to be in public and it’s a giant crap shoot.

    August polls mean very little compared to November logistics.

    I think it’s going to come down to Florida. And I don’t see Dems winning that state back any time soon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #11196
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I’m just going off historical polling and analysis. It’s such an inconsequential number of people who are swayed by the debate. It’s not like it used to be where a gaffe or a gotchya moment could ruin your chances. Not since the post 9/11 division. There’s just not enough true moderates on the fence by the time debates happen.


    If we had debates NOW I think they could be impactful. Also if we went back to having them run by The League of Women Voters instead of media who care more about inciting drama than quality debates.

    There used to be debate around actual policies. Now it’s all “Candidate A, Candidate B said you’re a big lying poop face. How do you respond to that?”


    Nobody wants substance. Today’s audience couldn’t handle more than 15 seconds of the Kennedy - Nixon debate without changing the channel. And the last thing media wants is anyone changing the channel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Other than my belief that the debates sway more people than you think……I don't disagree with anything you've stated.

  7. #11197
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Trump will likely still win. He only won by a few thousand votes in a few states, but there’s no guarantee that the people who stayed home for Hillary will show up for Biden, and he certainly won’t bring out the progressives in Green Bay, Detroit, Miami, etc that Obama motivates and that Bernie could have.

    Factor in the nonsense that they’re pulling with blocking mail in voting during a pandemic when people don’t want to be in public and it’s a giant crap shoot.

    August polls mean very little compared to November logistics.

    I think it’s going to come down to Florida. And I don’t see Dems winning that state back any time soon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not so sure he is going to win. And while I disagree with voting by mail, I think this will get through.

    I also don't think this will all be settled on election night. I think it is going to be a nightmare worse than the Bush Gore fiasco.

    And if everything is up in the air…who decides what is what??? SCOTUS???

    Seems like I heard/read somewhere that if nothing is decided by Inauguration Day (Jan 20) then somehow Pelosi becomes interim pres……is this true????

  8. #11198
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,184
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Trump was a response to Sluggo. I don't think business schools consider bankruptcy as a creditable successful practices no more then Scientist thinks flat earth theories are true, just because some people thinks so and your example of Clinton can be said about the whole political system of funding and favors owed. She wouldn't have gotten those funding if she was incompetent in doing for them.
    Business schools, no...but there are many in the business community that just think it the logical course to take far too often........or the common 'restructuring' of larger businesses. Had I personally felt bankruptcy was the right (as in my conscience right, not 'logical course of business' right) 15+ years ago I'd likely be able to at least consider retiring right now...I didn't, spent 15 years paying off debt that shouldn't have even been all mine (while also being underemployed to make it even more enjoyable)

    Funding from PAC groups is bad enough, funding from foreign gov'ts....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  9. #11199
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I'm not so sure he is going to win. And while I disagree with voting by mail, I think this will get through.

    I also don't think this will all be settled on election night. I think it is going to be a nightmare worse than the Bush Gore fiasco.

    And if everything is up in the air…who decides what is what??? SCOTUS???

    Seems like I heard/read somewhere that if nothing is decided by Inauguration Day (Jan 20) then somehow Pelosi becomes interim pres……is this true????
    Speaker of the House has always been 3rd in line....so should that happen, it's TPOTUS Pelosi
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #11200
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Speaker of the House has always been 3rd in line....so should that happen, it's TPOTUS Pelosi
    Is that in the Constitution somewhere that this would happen in the event that no one can decide??? Is there any kind of time limit???

    The way things are going, it will be turned over to SCOTUS as Ruthie croaks adding another angle to the mess.

  11. #11201
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,184
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Trump will likely still win. He only won by a few thousand votes in a few states, but there’s no guarantee that the people who stayed home for Hillary will show up for Biden, and he certainly won’t bring out the progressives in Green Bay, Detroit, Miami, etc that Obama motivates and that Bernie could have.

    Factor in the nonsense that they’re pulling with blocking mail in voting during a pandemic when people don’t want to be in public and it’s a giant crap shoot.

    August polls mean very little compared to November logistics.

    I think it’s going to come down to Florida. And I don’t see Dems winning that state back any time soon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the likelihood is that this will be either a historically high voter turnout or historically low.
    Historically low favors Trump, high favors Biden.
    And if Biden wins, George Floyd gets a tragically unfortunate assist.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  12. #11202
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Business schools, no...but there are many in the business community that just think it the logical course to take far too often........or the common 'restructuring' of larger businesses. Had I personally felt bankruptcy was the right (as in my conscience right, not 'logical course of business' right) 15+ years ago I'd likely be able to at least consider retiring right now...I didn't, spent 15 years paying off debt that shouldn't have even been all mine (while also being underemployed to make it even more enjoyable)

    Funding from PAC groups is bad enough, funding from foreign gov'ts....
    Put the Suadi and Isreal on that foreign gov'ts list. They have been doing this for a long time. Not being apart of the super-rich and famous, you need a good credit rating if you wish to try starting another business, or get a car, and house loans. Trump even tried to sue a Bank for suing him for debts owed. Try finding a lawyer to do that for you or get the government to give you corporate welfare.
    Last edited by WES445; 08-10-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    WE STILL KNOW WHERE THE PITCHFORKS ARE:Beau of the Fifth Column, you tube.

  13. #11203
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Frankly, I do not know if he has the right to make these exec orders or not.

    Is the end result a positive thing…yes. Will it be challenged in court…prob yes. Will it bring the dems back to the table on the bail out…prob yes.

    RE: Payroll taxes…no idea as to what the impact will be.

    I, personally, believe we would all be best served with a national sales tax and no payroll tax at all. Everyone, and I mean everyone, would pay the same sales tax on whatever we spend. And it should be a tax on everything…tuition,, food, health care, rent, mtges etc.If you want to hit the rich, charge a surtax on unnecessary luxury items. (e.g. homes over a certain size [7500 sq ft???] yachts, jewelry over a certain price, private jets, maybe some other items.) Keep FICA in place but remove the ceiling. Paying a national sales tax is fair and allows people to control how much they are taxed. Prices would probably lower themselves to fall into line.
    Sales tax? No. That would be a flat tax then. It has to be progressive.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  14. #11204
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    93,487
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Sales tax? No. That would be a flat tax then. It has to be progressive.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Sales taxes won't ever really be progressive. They are designed to affect anyone equally regardless of spending. The only way that you could do a progressive sales tax would require a MASSIVE tracking of our spending where the system can check how much you have spent to that point in the year and apply a tax based on that. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think that's a good idea. The only other way is a prebate and I really don't like that idea either. It's far less of a security concern, but it's still not a good system.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  15. #11205
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    For everyone wondering why the two sides can't get together and just give us the two trillion $$$ the dems want, do you have any idea how much $$$ this is????

    https://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html and these are $100s

    A trillion $1 dollar bills piled on top of one another would be 67,000 miles high.

    Laid end to end, it would go past the sun.

    The numbers are almost unimaginable.

    All this $$$ from the gov sounds great but it will be crippling down the road.

    Our national debt will never be paid down. The numbers make it impossible.
    But it was a great time for a monster tax cut, wasn’t it?

    That’s some serious foresight (like I said — not a healthy economy).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •