Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    3 years 50 is what I was guessing for Donaldson, but more on the incentive and options side.
    Cutch, I didn't think he would cost that much.
    I think Donaldson is going to have multiple suitors so I don't think he'll be settling for an incentive laden deal. He looked healthy after Cleveland picked him up and is only one year removed from hitting 33 homers and a .944 OPS. Somebody will cave and give him a bigger contract than we can afford.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Not my first, 2nd, or 3rd choice..... but how much interest would the Braves have in Wil Myers if SD puts him on the block? He’s better suited for corner OF or 1B, but the Padres have him playing 3B. He has a nice power speed combo, but he’s also going to k 160-180 times. He’ll only make 5 Mil next season, then his contract will pay him 22.5 Mil 2020-2023.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Not my first, 2nd, or 3rd choice..... but how much interest would the Braves have in Wil Myers if SD puts him on the block? He’s better suited for corner OF or 1B, but the Padres have him playing 3B. He has a nice power speed combo, but he’s also going to k 160-180 times. He’ll only make 5 Mil next season, then his contract will pay him 22.5 Mil 2020-2023.
    I am not too interested in paying a 2.5 WAR player 20+ million per year. Brantley is better than that and will be cheaper.

At first I was like “That may not be bad”. Then I looked at his numbers closer and changed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a “for discussion” mock. Trying to stir the pot with some new names.

- Trade for Domingo Santana (OF-MIL) - 2 million (ARB)

He clearly is not starting in MIL, he is in the first year of ARB, and he is a RH bat for LF. He is also one year removed from an .875 OPS. Worth a shot at a reduced rate.

- Trade for Kirby Yates (RP-SD) - 3 million ( ARB)

Yates has buttoned down back-to-back solid seasons. He would add depth to the bullpen. Also, another guy in year one of ARB. I think Teheran might be a good fit in SD as part of the trade. They need an experienced arm and the big park should help JT.

- Trade for Madison Bumgarner (SP-SF) - 12 million

MadBum is in the last year of his contract and is owed 12 million. That’s a steal if he is a #2 and he could be more, plus he won’t block the youngsters after 2019. SF needs an infusion of young talent (especially pitchers), so ATL can make a deal here.

- Sign Cody Allen (RP) for 2/21

This is a risky shot. Allen had a string of good years, but his one down year will cost him a qualifying offer and money on the open market. ATL takes a shot at a closer for 10-11 million per year. If AA hits, this is a great move. If Allen struggles, ATL still has other options.

- Sign Yasmani Grandal (C) for 4/38

I think Grandal makes a bunch of sense for ATL. A good hitting catcher that switch hits and has handled some really good pitching staffs. I don’t like 4 years on a 30+ year old catcher, but the alternative is Ramos at 2 or 3 years and he is a full year older. Oh, and Flowers hits lefties better so they can have a loose platoon to help keep Grandal fresh and healthy.

- Sign Lonnie Chisenhall (UTIL) to 1/6

Lonnie can hit and can play any corner position. Also gives ATL a solid LH bat off the bench.

- Sign Melky Cabrera (OF) to 1/3

Melky is a switch hitter who just keeps hitting. He won’t be needed in the field too often with Culberson and Chisenhall on the roster, so AA is paying for his bat. And I would rather pay Melky than Duvall to get pinch hits when needed.

Lineup
    Acuna - RF
    Albies -2B
    Freeman - 1B
    Grandal - C
    Camargo - 3B
    Santana - LF
    Inciarte - CF
    Swanson - SS

Bench
    Culberson- UTIL
    Chisenhall - UTIL
    Cabrera - OF
    Flowers - C
    Reed - OF

Rotation
    Folty
    Bumgarner
    Gausman
    Newcomb
    Fried, Soroka, Touki, etc

Bullpen
    Allen - RHP
    Vizcaino - RHP
    Minter - LHP
    Yates - RHP
    Venters - LHP
    O’Day - RHP
    Jackson - RHP
    *Carle, Biddle, & Ramirez go to the minors or are traded in deals.

There are a few moves here - Santana, Bumgarner, & Allen - that could payoff in big ways. Also, none of them would kill ATL if they weren’t great. But imagine if Santana has an .850+ OPS or if MadBum is, well, MadBum. If two of these moves workout, ATL is in really good shape.

ATL would have a solid lineup, a good rotation, a deeper bench, and a much improved bullpen. This is a team that can compete right away and still leaves room for top guys to move up this season or next.

Lastly, a rough glance also seems to put this at about 47 million in added payroll while shedding 11 million in Teheran. That seems to fit what most of us have agreed ATL is willing to spend. And ATL won’t lose any draft picks in this scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if we are going the trade route, I think there are some high profile, but not likely options out there for us. With our farm system, however, we could at least make it a conversation.

First is Mike Trout. The Angels aren't contending any time soon and they can restock their farm in a hurry by trading him. He would be incredibly expensive, both prospect and cash though. Putting him in the middle of our lineup makes us a World Series contender immediately. Even after giving up the prospects necessary, we would still be in the top 15 minor league organizations.

Second would be Nolan Arenado. He would probably be just as expensive as Trout and at a position we don't really need to address as much as outfield. Obviously he is better than Camargo, but we need to look at outfield over 3B. I would take him and his bat behind Freddie for the next 10 years though.

Third, and probably the most realistic option, would be a Bumgarner and Posey package deal. That addresses 2 positions of need with superior talent and would be cheaper than the first 2 options. Posey is a Georgia native and would benefit with Flowers being able to play 2 out 5 games. Also gives us a decent option at 1B if Freddie misses any time. Bumgarner is a top 10 pitcher when healthy, and would be a great number 1 for us. Him and Folty would look nice starting a postseason series.

I would take any of those options. Hopefully something like this is plausible even if it is not likely. I wouldn't put anything passed AA though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Here is a “for discussion” mock. Trying to stir the pot with some new names.

- Trade for Domingo Santana (OF-MIL) - 2 million (ARB)

He clearly is not starting in MIL, he is in the first year of ARB, and he is a RH bat for LF. He is also one year removed from an .875 OPS. Worth a shot at a reduced rate.

- Trade for Kirby Yates (RP-SD) - 3 million ( ARB)

Yates has buttoned down back-to-back solid seasons. He would add depth to the bullpen. Also, another guy in year one of ARB. I think Teheran might be a good fit in SD as part of the trade. They need an experienced arm and the big park should help JT.

- Trade for Madison Bumgarner (SP-SF) - 12 million

MadBum is in the last year of his contract and is owed 12 million. That’s a steal if he is a #2 and he could be more, plus he won’t block the youngsters after 2019. SF needs an infusion of young talent (especially pitchers), so ATL can make a deal here.

- Sign Cody Allen (RP) for 2/21

This is a risky shot. Allen had a string of good years, but his one down year will cost him a qualifying offer and money on the open market. ATL takes a shot at a closer for 10-11 million per year. If AA hits, this is a great move. If Allen struggles, ATL still has other options.

- Sign Yasmani Grandal (C) for 4/38

I think Grandal makes a bunch of sense for ATL. A good hitting catcher that switch hits and has handled some really good pitching staffs. I don’t like 4 years on a 30+ year old catcher, but the alternative is Ramos at 2 or 3 years and he is a full year older. Oh, and Flowers hits lefties better so they can have a loose platoon to help keep Grandal fresh and healthy.

- Sign Lonnie Chisenhall (UTIL) to 1/6

Lonnie can hit and can play any corner position. Also gives ATL a solid LH bat off the bench.

- Sign Melky Cabrera (OF) to 1/3

Melky is a switch hitter who just keeps hitting. He won’t be needed in the field too often with Culberson and Chisenhall on the roster, so AA is paying for his bat. And I would rather pay Melky than Duvall to get pinch hits when needed.

Lineup
    Acuna - RF
    Albies -2B
    Freeman - 1B
    Grandal - C
    Camargo - 3B
    Santana - LF
    Inciarte - CF
    Swanson - SS

Bench
    Culberson- UTIL
    Chisenhall - UTIL
    Cabrera - OF
    Flowers - C
    Reed - OF

Rotation
    Folty
    Bumgarner
    Gausman
    Newcomb
    Fried, Soroka, Touki, etc

Bullpen
    Allen - RHP
    Vizcaino - RHP
    Minter - LHP
    Yates - RHP
    Venters - LHP
    O’Day - RHP
    Jackson - RHP
    *Carle, Biddle, & Ramirez go to the minors or are traded in deals.

There are a few moves here - Santana, Bumgarner, & Allen - that could payoff in big ways. Also, none of them would kill ATL if they weren’t great. But imagine if Santana has an .850+ OPS or if MadBum is, well, MadBum. If two of these moves workout, ATL is in really good shape.

ATL would have a solid lineup, a good rotation, a deeper bench, and a much improved bullpen. This is a team that can compete right away and still leaves room for top guys to move up this season or next.

Lastly, a rough glance also seems to put this at about 47 million in added payroll while shedding 11 million in Teheran. That seems to fit what most of us have agreed ATL is willing to spend. And ATL won’t lose any draft picks in this scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't like Santana, so I'll pass on him.

Yates is nice if the price tag isn't high, he had a great 2018 but doesn't have a track record of dominance.

Bumgarner is awesome, I like this idea a lot more than the Greinke one, he's cheaper, younger and better. The asking price and the Giants motivation to move him are a roadblock though.

Allen is a bit overrated to me, I'll pass.

Chisenhall is good, i like him at that price.

I'm a bit sour on Grandal now, he's obviously an upgrade but his defense is bad, while his framing and CS are good. A bit confusing to be honest. Ramos might be a cheaper and better option.

I don't think we need Melky if we sign Chisenhall.

Just a thought....

If the rumors are true that the Braves where heavily interested in Manny Machado and even made one or more of their top prospects available in trade. Then I can’t believe they are not at all interested in the soon to be high priced FA now. We’ve known for a while Machado is going to get paid in FA, surely the Braves where not willing to trade one or more of their prized prospects for just half a season of Machado. So if AA was willing to trade for him, I have to be willing to think he was going to at least attempt to resign him. I take it not to get our expectations up, but they will at least have discussions with him this winter, but they have a limit he won’t go over.

And if they are willing to consider spending on Manny, I think they will at least consider spending on Bryce as well. Are we the likely spot? Hell No. is it out of the realm of possibility? No. I think AA will have conversations and consider both. Likely moving on when the price gets to high.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.

With what I’ve been reading the last couple of days, I now see Myers as a target for us, still not one of my higher targets. If you believe what you read on Mlbtr, SD may be willing to eat money to deal him. The Braves may need to get a third team involved with both Farms being pitching heavy..... however if SD is willing to eat 15 or so mil of his remaining, I think The Braves would be very willing to put a package together including a 3rd team to bring back Myers and Majia ( sorry guys I don’t believe he’s untouchable, I said that last year as well and he was moved).

I think the Braves could package what they get for JT, plus one of their top prospects ( Sork, Wright, or Anderson), plus Riley, or Contreras. To bring those two back with 15 Mil.

Inciarte
    Albies
    Acuna
    Freeman
    Myers
    Majia
    Camargo
    Swanson

The Braves will have solved to two offensive holes in the line up, added power, stay young, and add upside. Can they get Will to cut down on his K’s? IDK, but if they can this will be a steal ( pun intended)! The money would be a wash for this season, so we’d still have plenty of cash to spend to sure up th BP and perhaps a front line starter.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-20-2018 at 03:52 AM.

With what I’ve been reading the last couple of days, I now see Myers as a target for us, still not one of my higher targets. If you believe what you read on Mlbtr, SD may be willing to eat money to deal him. The Braves may need to get a third team involved with both Farms being pitching heavy..... however if SD is willing to eat 15 or so mil of his remaining, I think The Braves would be very willing to put a package together including a 3rd team to bring back Myers and Majia ( sorry guys I don’t believe he’s untouchable, I said that last year as well and he was moved).

I think the Braves could package what they get for JT, plus one of their top prospects ( Sork, Wright, or Anderson), plus Riley, or Contreras. To bring those two back with 15 Mil.

Inciarte
    Albies
    Acuna
    Freeman
    Myers
    Majia
    Camargo
    Swanson

The Braves will have solved to two offensive holes in the line up, added power, stay young, and add upside. Can they get Will to cut down on his K’s? IDK, but if they can this will be a steal ( pun intended)! The money would be a wash for this season, so we’d still have plenty of cash to spend to sure up th BP and perhaps a front line starter.
    I'm not a fan of Myers, trading prospects and adding a big contract (even if they eat 15MM) for a not so good player isn't worth it in my opinion, we can do better than Myers. Why are you so in love with Mejia? He's a top prospect we know that, but we have a lot of young guys on the team, to me we need some veteran presence, players that are already in his prime. Mejia might be very good in the near future but he might also be a bust, we need production right away.

Mejia makes a lot more sense for the Padres than the Braves, that's why I don't think they trade him or the Braves pursue him, unless he fell on our laps.

trout or blackmon would be nice.

sorry coach, i think you're way off.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

The Yankees (previously reported), Dodgers, Giants and Braves are among the teams that are expected to “show a lot of interest” in left-hander Patrick Corbin once free agency starts, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes.
    I don't see us out bidding those other three teams.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I'm not a fan of Myers, trading prospects and adding a big contract (even if they eat 15MM) for a not so good player isn't worth it in my opinion, we can do better than Myers. Why are you so in love with Mejia? He's a top prospect we know that, but we have a lot of young guys on the team, to me we need some veteran presence, players that are already in his prime. Mejia might be very good in the near future but he might also be a bust, we need production right away.

Mejia makes a lot more sense for the Padres than the Braves, that's why I don't think they trade him or the Braves pursue him, unless he fell on our laps.
    Take a look at what Myers did away from SD in 18’ .297/.357/.516/.873 along with a signiydrop in K’s in only one more PA on the road. That would be nice behind Freeman in the line up.

In 17’ away from SD not as good .241/.322/.518/.840. However the power still played and it is still better than what we had behind Freeman in the second half.

As far as Majia, not in love with him. I do however think he’s one of the better catchers we can get our hands on.

All and all if they are putting at least 15mil in, I can see this as A Braves move. In the same breath, I can see A Bum and Posey trade as well being a Braves move. If Posey can still catch and the Braves believe in a Contreras future.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-21-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    trout or blackmon would be nice.

sorry coach, i think you're way off.
    I posted mocks to hopefully help conversations. Saying “I think you’re way off” isn’t much of a convo. Here would be a better example...

I haven’t seen anything about Blackmon being moved. I have seen that he will be moved to LF, but not out of COL. In fact, an article a few days ago said he was “a lock” to be in the COL OF next season. I think it is safe to say Blackmon won’t be coming to ATL unless something really changes.

Trout is a pipe dream for anyone at this point.

And AA has basically said he won’t pursue too FA on big contracts. That could certainly be a smoke screen, but until we have reason to think otherwise, I will believe him.

I am certainly not attached to the mock I put up. I just wanted to get some new ideas going. I would like to hear WHY you think I am way off. I take no offense; I wanted opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allegedly Bowman thinks we can get Realmuto for Soroka, Riley, and a lower prospect. Would you guys do it?

Allegedly Bowman thinks we can get Realmuto for Soroka, Riley, and a lower prospect. Would you guys do it?
    No. Sign Ramos or Grandal as the bridge to Contreras

Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast