Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

2018-2019 Atlanta Braves off-season thread

I would lean toward a solid power type bat to protect Freddie is the first thing we should try to address this off season. That would probably be at 3B or OF. I could see AA going with Donaldson on a short term prove it deal. Machado would obviously be the biggest get there, but I'm not sure he would sign on for 3B since he wants to play SS. We could move Swanson to 3B if it comes to that. On that note, just thinking outside the box a bit, we could sign LeMahieu or Daniel Murphy and move Ozzie over to SS or 3B.

Outfield has the obvious choice of Bryce Harper. After him there is McCutchen, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley or stay with Markakis. Those are probably my top choices.

Starting pitchers, I would go with Corbin first and then Sanchez. Not a whole lot out there to choose from.

Relief pitching is pretty deep this year though. It seems like a lot of you want Kimbrel back. His price tag might be too high for a reliever. After him there is Zach Britton, Andrew Miller, Kelvin Herrera and Familia. A.J. Ramos might be a cheap sleeper bounce back candidate. Lots of options.

Catchers you have the tried and true Suzuki. Maybe go after Ramos, Lucroy or even Wieters or Mesoraco if you think they may have bounce back ability.

This is all assuming no trades. And you also have to think about pick compensation for all of these guys too. Just some names to think on. Some great options and some not so great options.

Last edited by beldugo; 10-11-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: I posted it twice by mistake.

This is the thread for ideas, trade rumors and free agency for the 2018-2019 off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves1622 View Post
    I would lean toward a solid power type bat to protect Freddie is the first thing we should try to address this off season. That would probably be at 3B or OF. I could see AA going with Donaldson on a short term prove it deal. Machado would obviously be the biggest get there, but I'm not sure he would sign on for 3B since he wants to play SS. We could move Swanson to 3B if it comes to that. On that note, just thinking outside the box a bit, we could sign LeMahieu or Daniel Murphy and move Ozzie over to SS or 3B.

Outfield has the obvious choice of Bryce Harper. After him there is McCutchen, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley or stay with Markakis. Those are probably my top choices.

Starting pitchers, I would go with Corbin first and then Sanchez. Not a whole lot out there to choose from.

Relief pitching is pretty deep this year though. It seems like a lot of you want Kimbrel back. His price tag might be too high for a reliever. After him there is Zach Britton, Andrew Miller, Kelvin Herrera and Familia. A.J. Ramos might be a cheap sleeper bounce back candidate. Lots of options.

Catchers you have the tried and true Suzuki. Maybe go after Ramos, Lucroy or even Wieters or Mesoraco if you think they may have bounce back ability.

This is all assuming no trades. And you also have to think about pick compensation for all of these guys too. Just some names to think on. Some great options and some not so great options.
    I want to keep Swanson, I believe he can get better with the bat, at least give him one more year. I thought about Donaldson, but we have Camargo and Riley in AAA, I would sell high on Camargo and sign Donaldson to a one year pillow deal, but will he take it? I doubt it. Lemahieu is a product of coors field, so I would stay away from him. Murphy is a terrible defender but still probably a good bat, he might be an option if the Braves feel like Swanson can't get better, in that scenario Ozzie might move to short, not a terrible move but not likely either.

As you said if the Braves are going after a SP, the trade market is where they get one. Right now we have:

Folty
    Gausman
    Newcomb

As three guys who in my opinion are locked in the rotation, two spots left for Soroka, Touki, Fried to battle in spring training, I think Teheran would be gone. Going after an elite SP is a possibility, but not many of them are on the market, if I have to guess, the Braves will go with another Anibal Sanchez type of deal and let the kids battle for the rotation spots.

The catcher spot is one we should improve, Suzuki/Flowers were a very good tandem for an entire season but in a playoffs series not so much, teams run like crazy on us and having one of them being our 5-6 hitter in the order is not great, Flowers is already under contract so we need a clear cut starter, Ramos or Realmuto are the best choices.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    This is the thread for ideas, trade rumors and free agency for the 2018-2019 off-season.
    You should stick this one and close the other one, so it can be focused

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I want to keep Swanson, I believe he can get better with the bat, at least give him one more year. I thought about Donaldson, but we have Camargo and Riley in AAA, I would sell high on Camargo and sign Donaldson to a one year pillow deal, but will he take it? I doubt it. Lemahieu is a product of coors field, so I would stay away from him. Murphy is a terrible defender but still probably a good bat, he might be an option if the Braves feel like Swanson can't get better, in that scenario Ozzie might move to short, not a terrible move but not likely either.

As you said if the Braves are going after a SP, the trade market is where they get one. Right now we have:

Folty
    Gausman
    Newcomb

As three guys who in my opinion are locked in the rotation, two spots left for Soroka, Touki, Fried to battle in spring training, I think Teheran would be gone. Going after an elite SP is a possibility, but not many of them are on the market, if I have to guess, the Braves will go with another Anibal Sanchez type of deal and let the kids battle for the rotation spots.

The catcher spot is one we should improve, Suzuki/Flowers were a very good tandem for an entire season but in a playoffs series not so much, teams run like crazy on us and having one of them being our 5-6 hitter in the order is not great, Flowers is already under contract so we need a clear cut starter, Ramos or Realmuto are the best choices.
    I wasn't around the board much this season but watched nearly every game and was excited with this season. A lot of people want Grandal for catcher to replace Zuk. Also I doubt we can afford Manny, A-Rod said we had like $60M coming off the books but I read the projected number is actually around $45M to spend after arbitration eligible players salaries are figured in.
    Last edited by NBA_Starter; 10-11-2018 at 01:54 PM.

My first stab at an offseason. This is not necessarily what I think AA will do, but I tried to make it believable and helpful to the club.

- Sign Brantley to play LF for 3/42

He is a risk, no doubt about that. But if he can stay healthy and hit the way he did the last 1.5 years, ATL has their 2-hole hitter. Also comes from a winning program, which I think is important.

- Sign Marwin Gonzalez - UTIL for 2/20

I think Marwin is unlikely as I think he will want to start somewhere. But he would be great insurance against Brantley’s health and/or Camargo slumping. I think he can get his ABs in ATL, too. He is also a great bat off the bench; a switch hitting one. Lastly, he too comes from a winning program.

- Sign Wilson Ramos - C for 2/15

Ramos is a great fit for ATL. He shouldn’t demand a long or big contract, is good defensively, and can get plenty of days off with Flowers on the roster. Should also slow down opponents on the base paths.

- Trade for Noah Syndergaard

No one likes trading in division and Thor has his health concerns. He is also real good. ATL has the arms to eat some innings and be OK if they need to. Folty and Thor would be a really nice 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation. ATL has the prospects to get this done, too and they get 3 ARB years out of Noah.

If the G. Cole Trade is any indication - he had 3 yrs of ARB eligibility and was 27 yrs old - ATL could obtain a 26 yr old Thor with something like Gohara/Wentz headlining the trade. Maybe an Anderson type instead of Gohara.

- Trade Teheran

This $$ can be better spent elsewhere. Someone will give ATL something for him.

These moves make-up the following roster:

- Lineup -
    Albies -2B (560K)
    Brantley - LF (14 million)
    Acuna - RF (560K)
    Freeman - 1B (21 million)
    Camargo - 3B (560K)
    Ramos - C (7.5 million)
    Inciarte - CF (5.7 million)
    Swanson - SS (560K)

I put Ozzie at leadoff as I think he will get better at OBP and he is a spark plug when hitting. It also gives Acuna a chance to drive in more runs. This lineup looks a bit deeper, but scoring runs was not ATL’s problem this past year.

- Rotation -
    Folty (5.5 million)
    Syndergaard (5.9 million)
    Gausman (9.2 million)
    Newcomb (560K)
    Touki/Soroka/Fried/Allard (560K)
    (21.12)

This rotation is an upgrade over last year’s. It also has a couple legit starters at the top. Lastly, ATL has a bunch of young arms to start filling spots in 2019 & 2020.

- Bench -
    Culberson - UTIL (1.4 million)
    Gonzalez - UTIL (10 million)
    Flowers - C (4 million)
    Duvall - OF (3.1 million)
    (18.5)

I only have 4 bench players here. These would be the major players. It is also a very solid bench and almost anyone could be added at league minimum and this would still be a really good bench.

- Bullpen -
    Minter - lhp (560K)
    Vizcaino - rhp (4.8 million)
    O’Day - rhp (9 million)
    Ramirez - rhp (700K)
    Venters - lhp (1.5 million)
    Biddle - lhp (560K)
    Winkler - rhp (1.6 million)
    Jackson - rhp - Long reliever (560K)
    Carle** - rhp
    Freeman* - lhp
    Some decisions to be made here.
    * = cut/no ARB offer
    ** = minors

This is addition through health. A healthy Vizcaino, O’Day, and Ramirez, plus a full year of Venters and the BP is clearly better than last year. No big names added, but this group is deep and capable.

Total Salary - apprx. 110 million

- Overview -
    -
    First, this probably allows ATL to keep their 1st round picks, which I think will be important.

Everything considered I went with depth over star power on offense. ATL can score runs, they proved that this year. They did lack good depth, so I tried to address that. I don’t think AA blocks 3B until they know what they have in Camargo and/or Riley.

I feel like the BP could use a bit more help than I gave them, but that can always be addressed mid-season. This unit has 4-5 guys who could pitch comfortably from the 7th inning on. That is better than last year.

SP is what will make this team better. Thor is a huge upgrade over Teheran. A full year of Gausman will probably be Sanchez like. Newcomb as the #4 is good depth. I don’t love Corbin (FA) and he would probably cost ATL a pick plus $$, so I say no to that. If ATL could go bigger and land a true ace via trade (ie - deGrom) I would be all in.

Ultimately I think this mock would allow ATL to not lose anything offensively (maybe gain), while adding more depth to the BP and bench and adding a top SP arm to help take another step forward. Their defense remains really good, as well.

One Machado or Harper would cost as much as Brantley, Ramos, and some of Gonzalez - ALONE. I decided that $$ could be better spent on solid pieces instead of one stud.

Lastly, depending on payroll, I would not be opposed to adding a Kimbrel in FA. I think that could solidify a monster offseason along with these other moves.

- Notes -
    *I used Tim Dierkes ARB projections for arbitration eligible players.
    *I used W. Castillo as a starting point for Ramos’ contract.
    *I used J. Bruce as a starting point for Brantley’s contract.
    *I used T. Frazier as a starting point for Marwin’s contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Lazzy to type it all again..... these are my offseason ideas fro the trade discussion thread.

SB75 said:
    10-09-2018 03:49 PM
    I’m still going
    1A/1B Harper or Machado
    2 sign or trade for a catcher
    3 Sigb or trade for a Veteran starter
    4 Closer

So while I’m not necessarily thrilled with what Viz or Minter did, they both have the ability to get better. So Kimbrel would be last on my list at this point.

Still searching for a reasonable trade for Francisco Majia m. I think it’s possible.
    Multi-Quote This Message
    SB75 said:
    10-09-2018 08:00 PM
    I also think the Braves could be very interested in Ramos on a short term deal.
    Multi-Quote This Message
    SB75 said:
    10-09-2018 11:35 PM
    Just talked myself into it.... Although I want Harper or Machado.... I can see the Braves signing...
    Michael Brantley
    Wilson Ramos

Not mind blowing! But if they are healthy, we’d be an improved team. Key word is health. Still want one of the big bats, but I can see AA going this route. It would also create the room to sign Foltynewicz, Acuna, and Albies to extensions.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-09-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.

From Bob Nightengale on Twitter:

Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild'

Peralta and Greinke, anyone? Zack's contract is *** but he'd be a brilliant addition.

I would say no to Greinke. I would rather pay more in prospects and save the $$ and age and pursue a SP not at the end of their career being paid 34-35 million per year thru 2021.

I mean, get Thor and you have him thru 2021, he won’t be 30, and ATL will save a bunch of $$. And they have the specs to give up to get that type of pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    From Bob Nightengale on Twitter:

Diamondbacks to 'strip down the team and rebuild'

Peralta and Greinke, anyone? Zack's contract is *** but he'd be a brilliant addition.
    Depends on how much $ the D-Backs will eat. I suggest we let Coppy and Dave Stewart construct the deal and workout the details. AA and the new D-Backs GM should just sign off on it😁!

Mets are not dealing us Thor unless we give them a crap ton, they are not the Marlins and deal in division.

I'd take Greinke easy depening on how much they eat of his deal. Would have to at least eat 40M before I'd think about it. Would make him have a 3 year 64.5M deal then. Cheaper than trying to sign Patrick Corbin who is projected to net 75-100M.

This is why the Braves won't outbid teams like the Yankees for guys like Harper or Machado:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...ayroll-to-use/

The money quote:

"At the moment, the Yankees have $40 million to spend before they arrive at even the first tax threshold and $80 million before the worst of the penalties...New York could sign Patrick Corbin, Clayton Kershaw, and Manny Machado and still end up spending the same amount on payroll and taxes as they did in the 2015 and -16 seasons."

This just isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Mets are not dealing us Thor unless we give them a crap ton, they are not the Marlins and deal in division.

I'd take Greinke easy depening on how much they eat of his deal. Would have to at least eat 40M before I'd think about it. Would make him have a 3 year 64.5M deal then. Cheaper than trying to sign Patrick Corbin who is projected to net 75-100M.
    I want little to do with a 35 yr old SP who is still owed well north of 20 million per year. It just isn’t what ATL needs. That money is better used rounding out the roster, IMO.

As for Thor & the Mets - yes, ATL would have to pony up. I get teams avoid trading in division, but ATL can make a pretty sweet offer compared to almost anyone else. Think about this...

ATL could (not should, could) trade Anderson, Gohara, Wentz for Thor and they would still have the following arms in the system:

Soroka
    Wright
    Fried
    Toussaint
    Allard
    Wilson
    Mueller

And their rotation would have the following locked up:

Folty (3 yrs)
    Syndergaard (3 yrs)
    Gausman (2 yrs)
    Newcomb (5 yrs)

My point is that ATL has a surplus of pitching prospects. At some point they will have to start moving people just based on numbers. You could certainly use those assets on something else (like Realmuto), but I picked starting pitching.

I also think ATL needs another frontline starter to be playoff relevant moving forward. I think the Meta will listen and ATL should start talking.

We can’t forget Austin Riley is going to be ready next year. Probably will get the call before the All Star break.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast