Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    There probably is diminishing returns at some point. We the fans don't know what that is, but we can conclude that more than 3 is better than 3 based on results around the league
    Well itís not just about your ball club, other teams use it to evaluate opposing teams, their minor league system, scouting both domestically and foreign. Teams use it to create their own proprietary stats/information.

So it isnít that the Mets FO hasnít embraced baseball analytics, they just have owners who havenít. As Sandy asked to hire 3 for that department, he was told to hire interns.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I would poach a GM and a president of baseball operations from a successful organization(s) to run my ball club.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

How do we become CHAMPIONSHIP caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    4 times as much.

20 divided 5 equals 4, in case you want me to show my work.
    4 times as much what?

Analysts research numbers. You donít need 20. Bill James did tons if work all by hisself.

Its not that hard to create formulas. Data. cones from external sources like pitchfx as well as internal - your conventional scouts. Mets have an established database on the Internet that allows all scouts to input data. A Citified its a matter of writing algorithms to analyze data sets. You only need 1 or 2 creative minds to think creatively about how to interpret data and one or twi to create the reports.

Have any ppl here actually worked w analytics? I have done limited exp. It takes all student data and gives me predictive information about students at risk. The product allows me to sort and test new data sets as well. I dont need 19 assistants to do that.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 10-11-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Have any ppl here actually worked w analytics? I have done limited exp. It takes all student data and gives me predictive information about students at risk. The product allows me to sort and test new data sets as well. I dont need 19 assistants to do that.

All day everyday. Though I don't play too much with the advanced stuff, it's more as additional confirmation to what I already assume

Well itís not just about your ball club, other teams use it to evaluate opposing teams, their minor league system, scouting both domestically and foreign. Teams use it to create their own proprietary stats/information.

So it isnít that the Mets FO hasnít embraced baseball analytics, they just have owners who havenít. As Sandy asked to hire 3 for that department, he was told to hire interns.
    Absolutely, we don't know what the right # is, but I would assume something like
    1 per division rival (4 total)
    2 for each of NL Central and West (4 total)
    1 per AL division (3 total)
    1 NL manager
    1 AL manager
    2 Senior managers of analytics
    1 Director of analytics

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Absolutely, we don't know what the right # is, but I would assume something like
    1 per division rival (4 total)
    2 for each of NL Central and West (4 total)
    1 per AL division (3 total)
    1 NL manager
    1 AL manager
    2 Senior managers of analytics
    1 Director of analytics
    I want you to be the Mets next GM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

W
    FWIW are you aware of the sabermetricsí definition of analytics? I think someone posted it the MLB> SABR forum. How did Aldersonís FO not embrace it? What parts did they exclude?

Defense for one. Did u notice how little this team valued defense during Alderson's tenure?

4 times as much what?

Analysts research numbers. You donít need 20. Bill James did tons if work all by hisself.

Its not that hard to create formulas. Data. cones from external sources like pitchfx as well as internal - your conventional scouts. Mets have an established database on the Internet that allows all scouts to input data. A Citified its a matter of writing algorithms to analyze data sets. You only need 1 or 2 creative minds to think creatively about how to interpret data and one or twi to create the reports.

I already explained.

But if you think teams are just using Fangraphs to evaluate their team, opponents, minor leagues, draftees etc. then you are fooling yourself.

I worked on a team that creates simulations, we used analytics to evaluate the users After Action Review (AAR) to help instruct/teach them to do properly in real life.

I already explained.

But if you think teams are just using Fangraphs to evaluate their team, opponents, minor leagues, draftees etc. then you are fooling yourself.

I worked on a team that creates simulations, we used analytics to evaluate the users After Action Review (AAR) to help instruct/teach them to do properly in real life.
    No wonder why I'm so in over my head when trying to keep up on discussions with you guys.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    No wonder why I'm so in over my head when trying to keep up on discussions with you guys.
    I think you do an incredible job with the discussions.

I am in no way at the level with the people I work with or the people in the analytics department of these FO. These people eat and sleep this stuff.

I think you do an incredible job with the discussions.

I am in no way at the level with the people I work with or the people in the analytics department of these FO. These people eat and sleep this stuff.
    Oh yeah? Then why is Phillip F-ing Evans still featured on my page?

But I thank you for the kind words all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Oh yeah? Then why is Phillip F-ing Evans still featured on my page?

But I thank you for the kind words all the same.
    Never mistake laziness for the lack of intellect.

Never mistake laziness for the lack of intellect.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Point taken!

I came in to PSD as a bit of a loose cannon without really knowing the rules of the forum. I got banned and interacted a lot and I still am loose, seeing as how I said F**ck everything, just 2 pages back. Iíll probably get banned again!

But, Iíve tried to learn from all of you guys every day I post and that keeps me going. This is a great forum at its core. I think we can all be better GMs than whoever the Mets hire! Clay, Dug, FoC, etc.

Iím always willing to learn. Iím never going to be perfect. I make mistakes and will always be the hardest worker to try and correct my wrongs.

I think with our combined efforts we can change the Mets fortunes.

We as Mets fans demand a contender! No more mediocrity! No more penny pinching! No more nickle and diming to meet a bottom line. We want change! We want victory! No more excuses. No more wait til next year! We are the Mets fan forum of PSD! Letís Go! I donít know about you but Iím ready to run through a wall!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast