Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Yankees signed dj lamathieu. Thinking itís now down to us and white Sox for manny. Get them both klentek!
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by philsphan123 View Post
    Yankees signed dj lamathieu. Thinking itís now down to us and white Sox for manny. Get them both klentek!
    Thinking about Klentak's dumbest moves, some can argue Santana but he corrected that for a useable player and position balance. For me signing Kingery for 6 years and 24M before he ever played a day in the bigs. Totally destroyed whatever value the kid has. Kingery would have been an integral chip along with Alfaro, VV, an outfielder and the rookie league highly rated shortstop for Realmuto and a Marlins Pitcher, someone like Straile (SP), need to check if he is still there. Can we take a vote of no confidence. Glad Middleton is attending the Vegas meeting, Boras will snack on Klentak, joke with Kapler, ignore McPhail and talk stupid $$$$ with Middleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Psulongago View Post
    Thinking about Klentak's dumbest moves, some can argue Santana but he corrected that for a useable player and position balance. For me signing Kingery for 6 years and 24M before he ever played a day in the bigs. Totally destroyed whatever value the kid has. Kingery would have been an integral chip along with Alfaro, VV, an outfielder and the rookie league highly rated shortstop for Realmuto and a Marlins Pitcher, someone like Straile (SP), need to check if he is still there. Can we take a vote of no confidence. Glad Middleton is attending the Vegas meeting, Boras will snack on Klentak, joke with Kapler, ignore McPhail and talk stupid $$$$ with Middleton.
    How is a guy on a $4mil/year for 6 years a guy with value killed?

Thatís basically his pre arb and arb years. You have a guy that breaks through and he could easily surpass that value.

Itís chump change too so regardless itís a scab of a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Apparently you didn't understand what I proposed, no dead line, just first to decide, Why don't the Phillies have clout, they are a big market team with lots of money. You suggest a loser's mentality. Actually no confidence in the K & K boys and McPhail is a waste. In the interim you continue to upgrade your team. What's this nonsense about showing the insides of the team, these guys are pros and the agents are ultra pros, they know the "insides".
    It's not nonsense. How do you think any team in any sport lands a big time FA? Outside all the numbers the player still wants to meet with the team's management get a sense of how they will be treated and what the plan is to give the player a supporting cast. You don't think if Machado and Harper are meeting with the Phillies they aren't asking the question "If I sign here what are you going to do to put and keep a quality team around me that can get me to the playoffs".......the player needs to get a sense of what the organization is like and what the 2-5 year plan is and what other money the club has to invest in other assets. No club is rolling all that info out to the press or the public....but you can be darn sure they are putting those plans together to sell the player on coming here......that'd be the "inside" look that's needed to properly pitch a player.

I'm not selling them short....the Phillies are a big market team....but let's be realistic...this team hasn't been on the winning side for a little while Now and we certainly don't have the same swag and rep as the Yankees, Dodgers etc.....People of Harper and Machado level want the money but they also want to know the team can win........we are better but our track record is not exactly stellar in this department. It's not putting us down..it's reality

Hopefully we will get an answer from either Machado or Harper by Sunday or Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    It's not nonsense. How do you think any team in any sport lands a big time FA? Outside all the numbers the player still wants to meet with the team's management get a sense of how they will be treated and what the plan is to give the player a supporting cast. You don't think if Machado and Harper are meeting with the Phillies they aren't asking the question "If I sign here what are you going to do to put and keep a quality team around me that can get me to the playoffs".......the player needs to get a sense of what the organization is like and what the 2-5 year plan is and what other money the club has to invest in other assets. No club is rolling all that info out to the press or the public....but you can be darn sure they are putting those plans together to sell the player on coming here......that'd be the "inside" look that's needed to properly pitch a player.

I'm not selling them short....the Phillies are a big market team....but let's be realistic...this team hasn't been on the winning side for a little while Now and we certainly don't have the same swag and rep as the Yankees, Dodgers etc.....People of Harper and Machado level want the money but they also want to know the team can win........we are better but our track record is not exactly stellar in this department. It's not putting us down..it's reality
    First, Kingery, the contract destroys trade value in case the kid is a bust which looks possible after one year. Remember the Marlins want CHEAP controllable players. Yes, players meet with the team but the super agents already have the info you suggest, finances, future plans, etc. These are personality test meetings, general finances have already been discussed otherwise no meeting would or will take place, To say the Phillies don't have clout is embarrassing, yes Dodgers, Yanks have more cache, not sure, you can look it up but I believe the Phils have won a world series more recently than Dodgers. Too many negative Philadelphia fans sell the teams and city short.

Guess there won't be a "major" announcement today from the PhilsÖ..

Selling the city short?
    Iím a Phillies fan, not an Eagle fan, and when I see Eagles fans eat horse **** I sell that city short. We (as in you mongos who live in Philly) do it to yourselves. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post
    Guess there won't be a "major" announcement today from the PhilsÖ..
    Hey if you find updates post em bro
    I donít have Twitter n social media presence

I'm a little disappointed they're not gonna pay (arbitration) Nola after the season he had. They'll spend "stupid" money on Harper or Machado, but not their own. Don't piss off your Ace..

First, Kingery, the contract destroys trade value in case the kid is a bust which looks possible after one year. Remember the Marlins want CHEAP controllable players. Yes, players meet with the team but the super agents already have the info you suggest, finances, future plans, etc. These are personality test meetings, general finances have already been discussed otherwise no meeting would or will take place, To say the Phillies don't have clout is embarrassing, yes Dodgers, Yanks have more cache, not sure, you can look it up but I believe the Phils have won a world series more recently than Dodgers. Too many negative Philadelphia fans sell the teams and city short.
    Easy Tiger. First the Kingery contract has nothing to do with signing a free agent so I'm not sure why you're ranting about that. And I'm assuming you must be an agent or work inside a ball club since you seem to know exactly how these high level negotiations take place where the agents already know all this. Maybe they do and maybe they don't. But unless you can tell me you work in that business and deal with it you can't say what happens with any more certainty than anyone else. You can also cease with the 'embarrassing' accusations. If that's how you need to talk in order to make your points, then it's probably gonna fall short. So now that's out of the way. Having an opinion that the city of Philadelphia when it comes to baseball doesn't have the same level of cache as the history of playing with the Yanks, the LA dodgers, the Red Sox....that's not being an anti Philly fan or selling the team short. Doesn't mean players can't choose here, just means that the bigger star players seem to gravitate more towards those types of storied franchises. If you disagree with that, that's fine. I just don't think there's a great degree of contractual evidence that suggests we have that type of reputation among players. I don't think it goes unnoticed that even though we came out of the gates strong and were headed towards a playoff spot late into the summer that the seats were still very empty most nights. When we're winning it's a great atmosphere , when we're not winning it's not necessarily a great environment to be in. My opinion is that as far as the baseball goes in Philly that to land a top FA like Harper we either need to dramatically overpay him over other teams or we need to be winning like we were 8-10 years ago. As a fan I hope we do find a way to land Harper because I think he instantly boosts the team to another level just by being here. Stick him in that lineup and a good number of guys get better just by him being here. And I'm hoping Kingery was just having some rookie struggles.......maybe the team guessed wrong on him as you suggest, but I think it's too soon to write him off as a bust because he struggled in his rookie year. No one is worried about Kingery's trade value. They signed him to be a young cost controlled future piece of this team, not to assume he'd scuffle his first year and we'd want to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Easy Tiger. First the Kingery contract has nothing to do with signing a free agent so I'm not sure why you're ranting about that. And I'm assuming you must be an agent or work inside a ball club since you seem to know exactly how these high level negotiations take place where the agents already know all this. Maybe they do and maybe they don't. But unless you can tell me you work in that business and deal with it you can't say what happens with any more certainty than anyone else. You can also cease with the 'embarrassing' accusations. If that's how you need to talk in order to make your points, then it's probably gonna fall short. So now that's out of the way. Having an opinion that the city of Philadelphia when it comes to baseball doesn't have the same level of cache as the history of playing with the Yanks, the LA dodgers, the Red Sox....that's not being an anti Philly fan or selling the team short. Doesn't mean players can't choose here, just means that the bigger star players seem to gravitate more towards those types of storied franchises. If you disagree with that, that's fine. I just don't think there's a great degree of contractual evidence that suggests we have that type of reputation among players. I don't think it goes unnoticed that even though we came out of the gates strong and were headed towards a playoff spot late into the summer that the seats were still very empty most nights. When we're winning it's a great atmosphere , when we're not winning it's not necessarily a great environment to be in. My opinion is that as far as the baseball goes in Philly that to land a top FA like Harper we either need to dramatically overpay him over other teams or we need to be winning like we were 8-10 years ago. As a fan I hope we do find a way to land Harper because I think he instantly boosts the team to another level just by being here. Stick him in that lineup and a good number of guys get better just by him being here. And I'm hoping Kingery was just having some rookie struggles.......maybe the team guessed wrong on him as you suggest, but I think it's too soon to write him off as a bust because he struggled in his rookie year. No one is worried about Kingery's trade value. They signed him to be a young cost controlled future piece of this team, not to assume he'd scuffle his first year and we'd want to trade him.
    Nice thoughtful response, however, my initial post was with regard to Klentak's errors. Pointing out signing Kingery for 6 years, yes, bought our arb years and great contract if he produces. Without the contract Kingery could have been a key to any Realmuto deal. Marlins are cheap, don't want committed dollars. Kingery was a top rated prospect.

Latest rumor is Phillies likeliest destination for Harper. I prefer him personally. Thoughts?
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by philsphan123 View Post
    Latest rumor is Phillies likeliest destination for Harper. I prefer him personally. Thoughts?
    Agree, prefer Harper but. if only one, Machado is a better fit. I actually like the current OF of Williams, Herrera, McCutchen with Quinn and Althrerr (is he JMJ or a bounce back candidate)?

IF Harper sign my guess would be 10/375M

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast