Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    Sadly not enough probably
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

They don't have the bullets to get Trout. I would probably take one of Nola/Rhys, along with a few other solid major leagues, along with at least 3 of our prospects.

I'd imagine it would look like this:

Angels give Trout, fill in player or two.

Phillies give Hoskins, Herrera, Pivetta, Bohm, Medina, Haseley, and maybe a few other minor leaguers.

That might not even be enough.

There is no use considering Trout this year. This year the Angels will hold out for a kings ransom and rightfully so. There is no point for us to give up a kings ransom and set ourselves back by trading key pieces for us. The longer Trout goes unsigned the more the price tag will come down. So if we are going to make a play for Trout ahead of his free agency we'll have to be patient and wait at least one more year. Once it gets into next year and if....that's IF....he stays unsigned and the backchannels are that he wishes to come back east to Philly then they will have to take less because they will lose him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    There is no use considering Trout this year. This year the Angels will hold out for a kings ransom and rightfully so. There is no point for us to give up a kings ransom and set ourselves back by trading key pieces for us. The longer Trout goes unsigned the more the price tag will come down. So if we are going to make a play for Trout ahead of his free agency we'll have to be patient and wait at least one more year. Once it gets into next year and if....that's IF....he stays unsigned and the backchannels are that he wishes to come back east to Philly then they will have to take less because they will lose him anyway.
    Definitely wait on Trout, but target a lefty pitcher; not Kuechel. Go after Blake Snell who was just disrespected by Tampa. Start with Williams, Cozens, VV, Medina, and the highly rated SS just coming out of rookie. If necessary throw in Bohm and take back a bad contract. This is a start to get a top lefty.

Iím in agreement.
    Donít throttle the gas pedal for Trout.
    He wants to be a Phillie, so when that time arrives then jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psulongago View Post
    Definitely wait on Trout, but target a lefty pitcher; not Kuechel. Go after Blake Snell who was just disrespected by Tampa. Start with Williams, Cozens, VV, Medina, and the highly rated SS just coming out of rookie. If necessary throw in Bohm and take back a bad contract. This is a start to get a top lefty.
    I doubt the Rays would entertaining dealing Snell with 4 years of control. If they did though, you would almost automatically have to add Medina, Garcia, and Bohm just to get the conversation rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    I doubt the Rays would entertaining dealing Snell with 4 years of control. If they did though, you would almost automatically have to add Medina, Garcia, and Bohm just to get the conversation rolling.
    I mentioned all three in my post. Rays are a cheap team and they have alienated Snell. With each passing year they will get less in return. This offer might be the best they will ever receive.

I get that prospects are lotto tickets and all the prospects given up during Rubens tenure didnít ever pan out, but damn, I donít want to go through that level of demise again. A baron farm system with overpaid terrible vets leading to no hope of the future?

I want to get to a point that we keep popping out competitive teams. JT Jean Bryce are guys young enough to build around. Letís keep these guys and just try to draft better for depth and potential replacements for these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I get that prospects are lotto tickets and all the prospects given up during Rubens tenure didnít ever pan out, but damn, I donít want to go through that level of demise again. A baron farm system with overpaid terrible vets leading to no hope of the future?

I want to get to a point that we keep popping out competitive teams. JT Jean Bryce are guys young enough to build around. Letís keep these guys and just try to draft better for depth and potential replacements for these guys.

The trick will be having a GM that can be a little more cold and calculating on when to move on from a player after success. In other words, can't give out big contracts to guys for hometown feel good purposes because we go to the playoffs with them or World Series.......there is a point you have to make a few painful decisions on good players in order to protect your future. I get the sense that Matty K has a much more calculating business approach to building a team that way that I think we'll be in better shape in a few years as players start to age so we don't end up with an entire roster full of mid 30's guys. But if we sign Trout somehow to a long term deal, Harper is in the middle of his, Hoskins continues to play well and Realmuto is still solid then we could be staring at a situation where everyone is entering their 30's with long term deals...........so it's gonna be tricky a few years down the road for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    The trick will be having a GM that can be a little more cold and calculating on when to move on from a player after success. In other words, can't give out big contracts to guys for hometown feel good purposes because we go to the playoffs with them or World Series.......there is a point you have to make a few painful decisions on good players in order to protect your future. I get the sense that Matty K has a much more calculating business approach to building a team that way that I think we'll be in better shape in a few years as players start to age so we don't end up with an entire roster full of mid 30's guys. But if we sign Trout somehow to a long term deal, Harper is in the middle of his, Hoskins continues to play well and Realmuto is still solid then we could be staring at a situation where everyone is entering their 30's with long term deals...........so it's gonna be tricky a few years down the road for sure.
    And signing not so great players that are into their 30s. There was unluckiness with Lee and Hallasay declining quicker than expected but Ibanez was poo Polanco shouldnít have been signed. They were stop gapping with a good amount of money to barely good players while everyone else was starting to decline as well as get hurt.

I do agree klentak seems to have a better handle however the easiest place to replenish is in the draft. They have to start hitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Realmuto is a must and The Phillies do need to draft better

Quote Originally Posted by Psulongago View Post
    I mentioned all three in my post. Rays are a cheap team and they have alienated Snell. With each passing year they will get less in return. This offer might be the best they will ever receive.
    Yes, I can read. Iím saying those are headliners and would definitely be involved in the deal to at least start the conversation. They also wouldnít be interested in average major leaguers that are close to (or are) making decent money. Rays are indeed cheap but certainly havenít alienated Snell. The Cubs did the same thing with Kris Bryant and the Pirates did it to Gerrit Cole. Thats baseball and players make almost no money before arbitration. Snell was a little pissed but heís playing this year and will play for them until he hits UFA or gets dealt. Since there have been no rumors about Snell, its safe to say they wont deal him unless they are blown away but the talent involved. They might want a headline prospect as well which they Phillies donít currently have. That could change if a minor league player breaks out.

Well that should end the Trout thoughts. 12 year $430 million is rumored.

Sucks for the Phillies but its hard to turn down that much money and live in California. There will be other fish to get, not as big as Trout but they will have other opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Well that should end the Trout thoughts. 12 year $430 million is rumored.
    So much for Bryce Harper trying to woe Trout to Piladelphia. $430 million can buy many, many, private jet triops back home if he wants.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast