Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    The Robertson deal is a solid move. With our starting pitching, loading up the bullpen and shortening the game for them is probably our best plan. Seems to be a good flexible guy who has 9th inning experience but doesn't have the chip on his shoulder that he has to be that guy or he's gonna be cranky. With another solid arm it affords us time to wait and see if the asking price for some of the other starting pitchers comes back down into reality. More of an Arrieta situation where that 5 year deal just isn't there so we can do a deal that makes more sense. But solid pickup here without a dumb amount of money or term.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Iíd give up Alfaro for Realmuto. Iíd probably give up Medina plus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's probably the peak offer that I would do.

I'm starting to think we are better off no signing Machado or Harper. I complained when we signed Howard to that huge contract that he was going to be the death of the team. If neither wants to play here why even bother buying them out with more money. Save the money and get ready for Trout when he hits FA.

I have come to terms with that, no one will sign here but Trout, we are gonna be mildly competitive,maybe one prospect turns out to be great, (I hope it's Bohm)

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

I'm losing hope of either Machado or Harper will sign here. Life goes on.....

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    I'm starting to think we are better off no signing Machado or Harper. I complained when we signed Howard to that huge contract that he was going to be the death of the team. If neither wants to play here why even bother buying them out with more money. Save the money and get ready for Trout when he hits FA.
    because waiting over 2 more years for something that isn't guaranteed to happen doesn't feel like an overly progressive thing to do. If there is a slim chance even that you can land one of the two and plug into the lineup I think you have to take your shot. As far as the money, these guys aren't just going where they want to go....they are going where the money is. Maybe Manny has a bias for the Yanks, but he's still not going there if there if the money is significantly less than someone else. The money needs to at least be close so it is still a lot about buying the player to sway his decision.

And I wouldn't worry about signing Harper blocking us from Trout. Any deal involving harper or machado would likely include an opt out at year 3 or 4. If either had a sudden shift of mind and wanted out then we aren't financing both of them...........and if we somehow how had Trout and Harper on the same roster.....well I'd like to think that would sell a lot of marketing spots and help pay for the contracts where we won't go broke.

Iím not sure why but Iím feeling more confident that we get one or both...thatís right both...
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    It's Philadelphia, our fans are very passionate but unforgiving.
    Is that another phrase for fair weather?

Read we are meeting with Harper/Boras on Saturday in Vegas.

I think Harper will sign with the Nats.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Quote Originally Posted by papirico52 View Post
    I think Harper will sign with the Nats.
    Tired of waiting, offer both 10/375M, if one accepts withdraw offer to second. Comcast pays 200M for the next 20+ years plus incentives, not my $$$, so I don't care, just want exciting baseball. The one who doesn't accept may feel short changed the rest of his careers or you will damage another teams' budget

Quote Originally Posted by Psulongago View Post
    Tired of waiting, offer both 10/375M, if one accepts withdraw offer to second. Comcast pays 200M for the next 20+ years plus incentives, not my $$$, so I don't care, just want exciting baseball. The one who doesn't accept may feel short changed the rest of his careers or you will damage another teams' budget
    Phils don't have enough clout right now to pull a power play like that. It requires a little patience and waiting for a chance to make your pitch and show the inside of the organization and prospects and plans etc..........at a certain point I don't think Klentak is gonna wait to the point he loses out on the next level below guys. I don't blame them for taking their shot. Who knows they may subtly behind the scenes throw the most money out there at those guys. Those two are gonna string it out as long as they can to drive the best deal. We might as well take our shot but when we get to the point of feeling like we may lose out on someone else then we pull the deadline tactic and move on. Until then we have nothing to lose by floating some big numbers out there and see if others gradually drop out giving us a better shot. Not that I believe we actually do have a real shot, but even if there's a 1% chance might as well throw a pitch at him.

A lot of 'rumors' out there that Harper will resign with the Nationals even though we have a face to face meeting with him in Las Vegas this coming weekend.

Supposedly the Yankees may be OUT on Machado and the White Sox and Phillies are the 2 finalists. Interesting note here is that the White Sox signed both Machado's brother in law and cousin and the Phillies signed Machado's friend and mentor to be their in field coach. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    Interesting note here is that the White Sox signed both Machado's brother in law and cousin and the Phillies signed Machado's friend and mentor to be their in field coach. We will see.
    That is no different than the a Phillies signing David Bell in hopes that would sway Thome to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Phils don't have enough clout right now to pull a power play like that. It requires a little patience and waiting for a chance to make your pitch and show the inside of the organization and prospects and plans etc..........at a certain point I don't think Klentak is gonna wait to the point he loses out on the next level below guys. I don't blame them for taking their shot. Who knows they may subtly behind the scenes throw the most money out there at those guys. Those two are gonna string it out as long as they can to drive the best deal. We might as well take our shot but when we get to the point of feeling like we may lose out on someone else then we pull the deadline tactic and move on. Until then we have nothing to lose by floating some big numbers out there and see if others gradually drop out giving us a better shot. Not that I believe we actually do have a real shot, but even if there's a 1% chance might as well throw a pitch at him.
    Apparently you didn't understand what I proposed, no dead line, just first to decide, Why don't the Phillies have clout, they are a big market team with lots of money. You suggest a loser's mentality. Actually no confidence in the K & K boys and McPhail is a waste. In the interim you continue to upgrade your team. What's this nonsense about showing the insides of the team, these guys are pros and the agents are ultra pros, they know the "insides".

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast