Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Carrasco is the guy that makes the most sense to me. Price wise he will cost significantly less than Kluber and probably even Paxton. His stuff is on the same level of those other 2, he just makes the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Carrasco is the guy that makes the most sense to me. Price wise he will cost significantly less than Kluber and probably even Paxton. His stuff is on the same level of those other 2, he just makes the most sense to me.
    ďFarts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.Ē ó Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree for the most part. They have assembled the makings of a very good core, one that may rival the core 4 plus Bernie. They have laid the groundwork, no question. The future looks bright.

What they need, and I am sure you would agree is starting pitching. How and where do you see them acquiring the torp help they need? The FA market? Corbin is only money and has been bantered as the Yanks primary target. His numbers are good and in the right direction, his K's are up and his BB down. Happ is getting up there in age, maybe on a short term deal? Keuchel? Morton? Eovaldi?

The FA pickens is thin, suggesting we may need to trade to acquire the arm. I am all ears. Keep in mind you need to give quality to receive quality.
    Yeah, top end UFA's... ACEs are in short supply.. but do we need an ACE? NO.. fix sevy again.. You have your ACE... Tanaka pitches like one most of the time too...

No, this team scores runs.. lots of runs.. this team needs pitchers to go 6 and only give up 3 runs/start.. Yes.. Pitchers with a 4.0 ERA will succeed on this team. Gray got bombed because he's out in the 3rd inning with the yanks down by 6-8 and even our run scoring has a problem. He was not alone.. our starters in August just started giving up runs in bunches.. Lynn and Happ don't dominate.. but they held the opposition close enough that our offense could do their thing and win.

so we have Sevy, Tanaka, and CC... add in Corbin and Happ and one other.. this team will be in most every game..

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Yeah, top end UFA's... ACEs are in short supply.. but do we need an ACE? NO.. fix sevy again.. You have your ACE... Tanaka pitches like one most of the time too...

No, this team scores runs.. lots of runs.. this team needs pitchers to go 6 and only give up 3 runs/start.. Yes.. Pitchers with a 4.0 ERA will succeed on this team. Gray got bombed because he's out in the 3rd inning with the yanks down by 6-8 and even our run scoring has a problem. He was not alone.. our starters in August just started giving up runs in bunches.. Lynn and Happ don't dominate.. but they held the opposition close enough that our offense could do their thing and win.

so we have Sevy, Tanaka, and CC... add in Corbin and Happ and one other.. this team will be in most every game..
    I agree with u about fixing Sevy and Tanaka pitching like an ace especially in the playoffs. Buster Olney is saying Corbin is pretty much a done deal which is a solid addition but if they could get Carrasco or possibly Paxton for specs I think u gotta do it. I don't think u can ever have 2 much good pitching and it always takes about 7 starters to get through the yr. Adding Carrasco would go along way to solidify the rotation especially if Sevy doesn't bounce back all the way or he or Tanaka struggle at some point this yr. We made the mistake last yr on passing on an elite pitching talent in Cole. I believe it was proven last yr that was a huge mistake and we shouldn't repeat it again if we don't have to move anyone off the MLB roster

Pitching is definitely a problem area and we need an ace to win the division and have a deep post season run. There are none in free agency. That means the trade market.

I think every team is going to request Andujar/Torres as the headliner. IMO, the only person worth giving up on Andujar's bat with 5 years of control is DeGrom (I wouldn't even go with Scherzer. He's getting up there in age and has 3/120 left on his deal).

Kluber is an ace, but he's going to cost Andujar, Sheffield and Florial. Astros are going to make a big push for him and they have a much better farm system to deal from.

Paxton is a #2 at best and is going to cost a ton. See Kluber price.

Currasco probably won't cost Andujar, but good-bye to Sheffield and Florial. He's a #2 at best and has some injury history over the past few years. Don't we have enough injury risk with Tanaka and CC?

I think the likely scenario is Sevy, Happ, CC, Corbin (who is really only a #2/3), and Tanaka. While I think Happ is as good as back, I think Corbin is a risk. Too many teams look to be very interested in him. Too much of a chance that someone is willing to over pay. If we miss out on Corbin, then we are stuck with an internal competition for the #5 spot and have a similar rotation as last year.

Overall, I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Don't panic and be dumb enough to give up Andujar for anyone not named DeGrom.

2. Don't get caught over paying for Corbin.

3. We need to fortify our bullpen. Pay Britton.

4. Be flexible enough to make a deal at the trade deadline. This could be DeGrom, Syndegard, or Bumgardner. Need to make sure we have a 3B bat to replace Andujar's offense to put ourselves in a position to consider a deal.

5. Really need to make sure our offense clicks. Right now I see question marks at LF (Gardy), 1B, C (how good is Sanchez really going to be after shoulder surgery, and SS.

6. If Boston is going above $225, we need to be flexible enough to do so as well. Seriously, we were above $200 with relative ease 10 years ago and our revenue has increased tremendously. Stop with the money ball crap now that we are in our window of opportunity.

Just thought I'd talk about the offense a bit. Any suggestions? As I mentioned above, I see some holes and I'm not really comfortable having no Lefty bats. I also think there is a 50% chance DiDi is done for the year. My thoughts:

1B - I heard this evening that we are talking to Goldschmidt. Love his bat, but do we really want to give up assets for 1 year of control instead of keeping those assets for pitching? I'd be more willing if he was left handed. If he can play the position, Harper does sound like a great solution. Dodgers can really use a power right handed bat in RF. When Harper comes off market, is it possible for us to deal Stanton to gain greater payroll flexibility? Do we want to? The guy did have 38 HRs and 100 RBIs. Is Moose an alternative? He is left handed and can be moved to 3B if Andujar is dealt mid season? My guess is we stay with Voit/Bird.

LF - If we get offense some where else, I think I am comfortable going with Frazier/Gardy/Stanton.

SS - It looks like the Yankees want Didi around long term so I'm guessing the likely scenario here is defensive stop gap. Despite all the negative press, should be go after Machado. He certainly makes it easier to move Andujar in a trade for an ace.

I believe the issue here is our unwillingness to go above the cap. After Gardy and CC, we have only $50 mil to spend. After SP and RP additions, I don't think we will have much left for other than a stop gap SS.

I agree with a post above that itís time for Hal to go for it. There is a slim window of opportunity with this crop of talent. The kids are pretty much proven and the farm is getting depleted again. Hence, fill in with sone high priced elite talent and get us over the hump.

The tax was reset. Boston spent and won. LA spent and keeps going to the WS. Itís time to spend and supplement the kids.

Going into next season with the same team and a Corbin type isnít catching Boston or Houston. Hence another wasted season of 100 wins.

Houston grabbed Verlander. Huge need. Win. Boston grabbed JD and Price. Huge need. Win. We grabbed Mike, which wasnít a need anyway.

Itís time, Hal......itís time.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

If anyone heard the Boomer and Gio interview w Boone today........man, were they jerks. Super rude and negative. I wish Boone walked out.

In my opinion, unprofessional.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    it is a total waste, especially in the case of Gardner. CC is hard to argue against because he's their insurance policy if they can't make a deal this winter. Better CC than nobody was probably the thinking.
    This

Why?

Because Patrick Corbin is going to be over $100 million now...

Happ is going to be lessor but still pricey.

back in 2016 Everybody on here and I mean EVERYBODY said to wait for the 2018 offseason..The Yankees will reset and then the best free agent class ever will be there for the the taking..

Watch how this unfolds..

The word is already out that Cashman wants pitching....Well, he already signed one, CC..If I were to guess his 2nd pitching signing will be a cheaper alternative and that will be Happ.....Corbin will be too expensive and risky for Hal.....For the most part CC earned his money but what about AJ Burnett? That is Corbin folks....

new rotation.

1. Tanaka
    2. Sevy
    3. Happ
    4. CC
    5. Sheffield

That is the 2019 rotation folks! Hal will force Cashman to go cheaper so he can stay below $206 million....

And forget Machado and or Harper...Hal is NOT going to have 2 players with contract over $250-300 million with Stanton's remaining 9 years of $250..

Stanton was his big gun folks! We did get him cheap so all is not bad as it would have cost a lot of money anyway so just accept Mike and pray for a wing and a prayer.....

He can stay cheap by just moving Torres to SS and then find a cheap 2nd basemen on Cashman's famous 1 year deals...Ö

Fools gold!

We are all suckers! We all thought Hal was going to blow up the payroll. Not happening!

Now granted, the team will still be terrific as the young talented roster is very good but to think Hal will add pieces like Harper and Machado is foolish.....

I believe Hal really wants to stay below $206 and if Brian needs more players at the July deadline then Hal will let him do as he needs......
    Nick

1998 Yankees 94-35. ---

2018 Red Sox 90-39 4

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    I agree with a post above that itís time for Hal to go for it. There is a slim window of opportunity with this crop of talent. The kids are pretty much proven and the farm is getting depleted again. Hence, fill in with sone high priced elite talent and get us over the hump.

The tax was reset. Boston spent and won. LA spent and keeps going to the WS. Itís time to spend and supplement the kids.

Going into next season with the same team and a Corbin type isnít catching Boston or Houston. Hence another wasted season of 100 wins.

Houston grabbed Verlander. Huge need. Win. Boston grabbed JD and Price. Huge need. Win. We grabbed Mike, which wasnít a need anyway.

Itís time, Hal......itís time.
    We all know it is time......Hal doesn't have the stomach for this anymore....He hates paying extra tax money and 20% is still 20%......
    Nick

1998 Yankees 94-35. ---

2018 Red Sox 90-39 4

Nick, Harper and Machado became irrelevant based on the performance of the kids. I was never convinced they were front and center targets. Cash and Hal both stated the rotation was the area of biggest concern.

The payroll is another issue. Will Hal spend? Two factors weigh in, imo. #1) The Sox won again. Hal hates losing the division and hates losing to Boston even more so. In this regard his DNA betrays him. Some may discount this reasoning, but I believe his competitive spirit gets the best of him when it comes to Beantown. #2) He has also stated, the rotation is a priority. Will he exceed the cap to acquire? That remains to be seen. If Cash lines up the right deal I think he signs off. If it's a trade, Cash may be the one that needs convincing to part with the prospects.
    ďFarts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.Ē ó Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I agree with u about fixing Sevy and Tanaka pitching like an ace especially in the playoffs. Buster Olney is saying Corbin is pretty much a done deal which is a solid addition but if they could get Carrasco or possibly Paxton for specs I think u gotta do it. I don't think u can ever have 2 much good pitching and it always takes about 7 starters to get through the yr. Adding Carrasco would go along way to solidify the rotation especially if Sevy doesn't bounce back all the way or he or Tanaka struggle at some point this yr. We made the mistake last yr on passing on an elite pitching talent in Cole. I believe it was proven last yr that was a huge mistake and we shouldn't repeat it again if we don't have to move anyone off the MLB roster
    Did we make a mistake on Cole? If what I've heard is what they really wanted, we would have help 1 area a little and harmed 2 others as they were reported to be asking for Torres and Andujar. Now after those two have played for the year.. Cole was good.. Torres and Andujar were very good as well with miggy carrying this team down the stretch.. As good a cole is.. a SP pitching once/5 days can't carry a team.. no matter how good they are... (playoffs are different with the offdays built in)

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Nick, Harper and Machado became irrelevant based on the performance of the kids. I was never convinced they were front and center targets. Cash and Hal both stated the rotation was the area of biggest concern.

The payroll is another issue. Will Hal spend? Two factors weigh in, imo. #1) The Sox won again. Hal hates losing the division and hates losing to Boston even more so. In this regard his DNA betrays him. Some may discount this reasoning, but I believe his competitive spirit gets the best of him when it comes to Beantown. #2) He has also stated, the rotation is a priority. Will he exceed the cap to acquire? That remains to be seen. If Cash lines up the right deal I think he signs off. If it's a trade, Cash may be the one that needs convincing to part with the prospects.
    I dont' believe the payroll is that big of an issue.. if they need to they will exceed the tax limit.. but at this point, they still have a sizable amount to get to that limit. If the yanks go over by a mil or 2.. I don't expect him to have an issue... but don't expect them to go 20+ mil over.. because they DON'T HAVE TO..

I think we are getting Kluber.....

Cashman will empty the farm.....
    Nick

1998 Yankees 94-35. ---

2018 Red Sox 90-39 4

Page 62 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast