Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who moves onto the World Series?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astros in 4

0 0%
  • Astros in 5

3 23.08%
  • Astros in 6

2 15.38%
  • Astros in 7

2 15.38%
  • Red Sox in 4

0 0%
  • Red Sox in 5

1 7.69%
  • Red Sox in 6

5 38.46%
  • Red Sox in 7

0 0%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    My prediction is one team will win four games and the other won't. The team that wins four games will advance to the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    Fair enough, I'll break down my original comment for you as it's only 4 sentences...

(Standard IMO qualifier applies.)

First sentence speaks for itself.

Second & third sentences basically go together; i.e. If Astros pitchers are on their game (pitch lights out) they have the edge in pitching. (i.e. It's not always a guarantee (pitching being a sometimes finicky game) your best pitchers will have their best day.)

Last sentence speaks for itself.

Sorry you were confused.
    I think you're missing my point here, chief. Your original "prediction" about the Astros pitching essentially boiled down to "this thing that is clearly better is only better IF it is better."

Take the same statement you originally made and apply it to a different sport. If the Patriots played the Jags in the playoffs again, would you say that the Patriots would have the edge at quarterback IF Tom Brady plays better? Hell no. You would just say that the Patriots have the obvious advantage at quarterback and leave it at that. Nobody would try to qualify that statement with something that asinine given how much better Brady is than Bortles. Would you say the Warriors would have the edge on offense against the Spurs in a playoff series IF the Warriors' offense plays better? Again, of course not.

So why make such a pointless statement here? The Astros have the pitching edge, period. I realize I'm just arguing semantics, but I just think the way you said that was odd and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think you're missing my point here, chief. Your original "prediction" about the Astros pitching essentially boiled down to "this thing that is clearly better is only better IF it is better."

Take the same statement you originally made and apply it to a different sport. If the Patriots played the Jags in the playoffs again, would you say that the Patriots would have the edge at quarterback IF Tom Brady plays better? Hell no. You would just say that the Patriots have the obvious advantage at quarterback and leave it at that. Nobody would try to qualify that statement with something that asinine given how much better Brady is than Bortles. Would you say the Warriors would have the edge on offense against the Spurs in a playoff series IF the Warriors' offense plays better? Again, of course not.

So why make such a pointless statement here? The Astros have the pitching edge, period. I realize I'm just arguing semantics, but I just think the way you said that was odd and unnecessary.
    I made nor do I ever make any “predictions”. I'm no psychic. My comment was as benign as could possibly be, essentially that we have two really good teams and it should be a really good series.

“The Astros have the pitching edge”, on paper yes, and that means nothing come playoff time. Which is why I added the “pitching is a finicky game” comment. You’re looking way too much into nothing here.

And for the record, I’m a lifelong Red Sox disliker, and I hope to hell Houston wins. But my original comment stands; two really good teams, should be a great series that could go either way.

And as an aside, I’ll just happen to be back in the States during most of that series and I’ll have the opportunity to catch it on TV, the LA/Mil series as well. Really looking forward to that…
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

lets goooo red sox! im hyped and ready even though when I watch on Saturday im going to be on pins and needles. lets gooo

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    My prediction is one team will win four games and the other won't. The team that wins four games will advance to the World Series.

The other obvious is that these are two closely matched teams. If one just uses their noodle, then we see one team has home field advantage. How much is that worth in an important MLB playoff game? Next, we look at the pitchers and which one has the advantage -- Verlander v. Sale?

Notice I am focusing on one game versus a whole series as these are closely matched teams. I think one can figure out which team is going to win game 1 from the above. From there, the $64 million question is which team wins the series? Thus,

a team who holds a 1-0 advantage and home field advantage,

will be favored to win even if the other factors are close. One can compare the relative strengths of the rest of the starters, pen and fielding in order to roughly calculate the other games in which the answer comes into focus. There you go.

Of course, there will those who will look to 538 MLB Predictions for confidence .

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...b-predictions/
    Last edited by jasonbourne; 10-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I made nor do I ever make any “predictions”. I'm no psychic. My comment was as benign as could possibly be, essentially that we have two really good teams and it should be a really good series.

“The Astros have the pitching edge”, on paper yes, and that means nothing come playoff time. Which is why I added the “pitching is a finicky game” comment. You’re looking way too much into nothing here.
    Fear enough, then. Everyone is certainly entitled to post however they see fit.

And for the record, I’m a lifelong Red Sox disliker, and I hope to hell Houston wins. But my original comment stands; two really good teams, should be a great series that could go either way.

And as an aside, I’ll just happen to be back in the States during most of that series and I’ll have the opportunity to catch it on TV, the LA/Mil series as well. Really looking forward to that…
    We certainly agree on all of this! Not sure how much of the other series I'll watch given how busy things are this time of the year, but if the NLCS runs long and the Astros are looking World Series bound, I'll probably watch a few innings to get a feel for the NL squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    lets goooo red sox! im hyped and ready even though when I watch on Saturday im going to be on pins and needles. lets gooo
    It's funny, but I'm more nervous than pumped. I was super pumped for the Indians series, but then that terrifying nervousness of playoff baseball sunk in after a few innings, and I remembered just how nerve-wracking these games are. I thought that I'd be way less nervous since they finally won the World Series last year, but I'm really not. Also, five days is such a long time to wait between series...

I really don’t know. I think it might go seven for sure though. I think the Red Sox are better than last year, but so are the Astros. I want the Astros to win, but I have to say it’s a toss up at this point.

My Red Sox T is washed, my Red Sox cap is on, my newborn/infant baby has her RedSox Onesie washed and we are ready for tonight!!!!

Lets goooooooooo Red Sox! Lets get this game 1 W!

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    My Red Sox T is washed, my Red Sox cap is on, my newborn/infant baby has her RedSox Onesie washed and we are ready for tonight!!!!

Lets goooooooooo Red Sox! Lets get this game 1 W!
    Congrats on the little one. I have a 9 month old girl. They're awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I doubt you will ever see your team win 4 games and advance to the world series again in your lifetime so you should just enjoy the show from here on out

Chris Sale is struggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** the mother****ing Disastros.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I think Astros def have the superior roster and have a strong chance at repeating.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Wtf these pitchers forgot how to pitch

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast