Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 188 of 198 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 2967
    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    If we signed him to a reasonable, home town discount (I am think 5 years/$40-50M), I wouldnít be against it. Anthony Rizzo does seem like the type of guy to sign a team friendly contract like that rather than try to squeeze every last cent out of the team.
    Hasn't he been playing on essentially a home town discount his entire career? Isn't it reasonable to assume he would want to cash in on what is likely his only chance at free agency? And wouldn't the Cubs be on the rebuild at that time, essentially making his price tag too high?

Of all the things I hate to think of, Anthony Rizzo on another team is pretty high on the list. It's also inevitable.

Anthony Rizzo does seem like the type of guy to sign a team friendly contract like that rather than try to squeeze every last cent out of the team.
    I agree but the problem is he did that once already. Next time around will be his last chance to score, and he knows it. I do think he's the kind of guy who relishes being the face of the franchise and because of having won a World Series he could ultimately surpass Banks as the all-time face, if he stays for 15 years and ages at least somewhat gracefully.

But if Pujols, who had an opportunity to be exactly all of the above for STL, can walk without a second thought - anyone's capable of it.

It'll be interesting when the time comes.

2018-19 Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Hasn't he been playing on essentially a home town discount his entire career? Isn't it reasonable to assume he would want to cash in on what is likely his only chance at free agency? And wouldn't the Cubs be on the rebuild at that time, essentially making his price tag too high?

Of all the things I hate to think of, Anthony Rizzo on another team is pretty high on the list. It's also inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I agree but the problem is he did that once already. Next time around will be his last chance to score, and he knows it. I do think he's the kind of guy who relishes being the face of the franchise and because of having won a World Series he could ultimately surpass Banks as the all-time face, if he stays for 15 years and ages at least somewhat gracefully.

But if Pujols, who had an opportunity to be exactly all of the above for STL, can walk without a second thought - anyone's capable of it.

Of course you guys ar right that heíd have one last opportunity to really cash in when the time comes. I think regardless of cashing in, he might not be afforded $100M offers at 33. So the Cubs would have a chance to sign him.

Also, yes, his deal with the Cubs was for 7 years/$41M (plus $2M signing bonus) at the time so that has been a ridiculous discount. Iíd like to know the value heís given back over the years when one year he was fully entrenched in the MVP race and most of the rest heís been one of our better players. It will be a sad day if heís no longer a Cub.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 12-06-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Of course you guys ar right that heíd have one last opportunity to really cash in when the time comes. I think regardless of cashing in, he might not be afforded $100M offers at 33. So the Cubs would have a chance to sign him.

Also, yes, his deal with the Cubs was for 7 years/$41M (plus $2M signing bonus) at the time so that has been a ridiculous discount. Iíd like to know the value heís given back over the years when one year he was fully entrenched in the MVP race and most of the rest heís been one of our better players. It will be a sad day if heís no longer a Cub.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...e-people-earth

Idk if the 3.5 million was all his money or if itís something where he collected money from donors but yeah, certainly seems to be quite the humanitarian. Thatís our captain!

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...e-people-earth

Idk if the 3.5 million was all his money or if itís something where he collected money from donors but yeah, certainly seems to be quite the humanitarian. Thatís our captain!
    I mean there prob. is donors. However 3.5 is an insane amount of money. So that donor amount if I took a guess would be in the 100's of thousands. You just don't see these type of donations. I mean any amount counts, but I mean look at most donations from professional athletes and you're usually in the thousands with guys that make in excess of 20+ million per year. While I get it that's allot of money, it also puts into perspective what kind of money this is to a program. I mean this is game changing type money for research.

It's not cause he is my player, it's just this type of donations you rarely see. Ronaldo is this kind of guy as well although he makes substantially more his donations are head turners. That is when you can just tell it's genuine. I hate this type of rhetoric myself, but it's hard to deny that any human wants to just genuinely give aside from any publicity it garnishes. This is when you know someone really cares about the cause and not just the reaction it gains.

Rizzo is more on a Mark Grace track than an Ernie Banks track (IMO).

Grace 44.2 bWAR in 13 years
    Banks 67.5 bWAR in 19 years
    Rizzo is at 29.2 bWAR in 7.

Looks like they have hired a new pitching coach

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I mean there prob. is donors. However 3.5 is an insane amount of money. So that donor amount if I took a guess would be in the 100's of thousands. You just don't see these type of donations. I mean any amount counts, but I mean look at most donations from professional athletes and you're usually in the thousands with guys that make in excess of 20+ million per year. While I get it that's allot of money, it also puts into perspective what kind of money this is to a program. I mean this is game changing type money for research.

It's not cause he is my player, it's just this type of donations you rarely see. Ronaldo is this kind of guy as well although he makes substantially more his donations are head turners. That is when you can just tell it's genuine. I hate this type of rhetoric myself, but it's hard to deny that any human wants to just genuinely give aside from any publicity it garnishes. This is when you know someone really cares about the cause and not just the reaction it gains.
    Definitely a couple of athletes with big hearts. Ronaldo has been donating to different causes for as long as I can remember. Heís known to donate individual winnings from titles his club has won, he once paid $100k out of his pocket for a childís brain surgery when all the childís mother asked for was for his club to auction off some tops to help with the funds and many more stuff heís done ranging in the millions every year. He is someone who has said that he will never refuse a hug (even by a pitch invader) or an autograph because he used to be one of those kids.

Anthony Rizzo is doing a lot for the community without being on a huge salary. For all the corporate greed that is sports and athletes being ****** because their $20M a year salary isnít $30M a year, itís good to see when an athletes money is used for good.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Well I did say $25M+ for at least 5 years. I am not sure how much of a bargain that is for a 32 year old player. And if it is a bargain, then someone will give him more than that. The point I am trying to make is they will not get him for a discount.
    Paul Goldschdmit already took one discount to stay in Arizona (the contract he is currently on), there is very little chance he takes another discount given that this will likely be his last major contract of his career. I am expecting Goldschdmit to ask for J.D. Martinez level money on an extension. Question is: will St. Louis pony up for a 32 year old 1B? Let's not forget despite people say that players "fall in love" with St. Louis, they were told no by Heyward, Price and Stanton. There is no guarantee Goldschmidt will be interested in staying in St. Louis long term.

------------------

Re: Rizzo

I think Rizzo wants to stay in Chicago for the rest of his career. I could see an extension in the 4/100 range to make it happen.
    Screw sabermetics.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

We now have pitchers on the staff older than the pitching coach. Interesting...

True but what happens if the Angels do not come a-calling with a 10/254 contract (Cardinals offered 10/210) for a 32 year old 1B? Angels saved the Cardinals from themselves.

I do not see any team coming in and offering Rizzo a $200 million contract at 31/32. I could see the Cubs/Rizzo settling on a 4/100ish type deal. Anything longer or higher would make me nervous.
    Screw sabermetics.

So heís been promoted from in house? Because this looks like his first coaching job and that after not having much of a playing career. Strange move on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Termel Sledge? Have not heard THAT name in a long time. Still an all-time name in MLB for me.

Good to see Denorfia back in Chicago, this time as a coach.
    Screw sabermetics.