Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 121 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    If this year the same thing happens as last year you can bet there are going to be serious issues in 2021. The new CBA is going to be a ***** to tackle. In a way, I think maybe the high payroll/revenue teams might be doing this so that the next deal can be favorable to the high payroll teams. They are showing MLB that they will not stand for the penalties and they are not happy with teams being rewarded for being bad or cheap. By refusing to go over the luxury tax they are playing within the rules to not be punished. And I think they might be showing MLB how bad those rules really are.
    I realize this is probably not correct. But if I was a high payroll/revenue team I would not be happy with the current rules. And the best way to push for change without coming out as if the owners are divided is to play within the rules and let the system blow up.
    Such a great post, rcal!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Why not? Maybe Heyward will return to mediocrity, Almora won’t be useless vs RHP, and Schwarber finally figures it out vs lefties and slugs as high as .500 for the first time in his career.
    2015 against LHP

BB 0%
    K 48.3%
    Ave .172
    OBP .172
    SLG .310
    OPS .483
    wOBA .206
    wRC+ 30

2016 hurt

2017 against LHP

BB 16.3%
    K 34.7%
    Ave .171
    OBP .306
    SLG .404
    OPS .687
    wOBA .296
    wRC+ 78

2018 against LHP

BB 15.4%
    K 30.8%
    Ave .224
    OBA .352
    SLG .303
    OPS .654
    wOBA .299
    wRC+ 85

Although it's a small sample size, I'm of the belief that if he plays every day, he will continue to improve against LHP, and he will not longer be an issue and only be valuable in a platoon situation.

He’s a platoon player, or at least should be, on a team that’s trying to win.
    I get fans wanting to believe he’s the player they wanted him to be/fantasize he is.
    My problem is, I think the front office still does too.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 11-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    2015 against LHP

BB 0%
    K 48.3%
    Ave .172
    OBP .172
    SLG .310
    OPS .483
    wOBA .206
    wRC+ 30

2016 hurt

2017 against LHP

BB 16.3%
    K 34.7%
    Ave .171
    OBP .306
    SLG .404
    OPS .687
    wOBA .296
    wRC+ 78

2018 against LHP

BB 15.4%
    K 30.8%
    Ave .224
    OBA .352
    SLG .303
    OPS .654
    wOBA .299
    wRC+ 85

Although it's a small sample size, I'm of the belief that if he plays every day, he will continue to improve against LHP, and he will not longer be an issue and only be valuable in a platoon situation.
    His .340 BAbip makes me think not so much, but his short swing makes me think he certainly can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33;32644243[B
    ]I just look at the last 3 WS winners (us, astros, red sox) and we clearly have the worst situation[/B]..and what seems like the highest payroll to boot. How did things go so wrong? Those other teams will clearly win their division again next season..while we will be in a dog fight with the Brewers.

It is what it is.
    Coming off of what happened this past season yeah that's easy to say but you wouldn't have said that about those two teams this time in 2017 or 2016. The Astros didn't even make the playoffs in 2016 and came out on fire in 2017. The Red Sox hadn't won a playoff series in 2015 or 2016 and then came out on fire in 2018. I'm hoping we can repeat that what those two teams did in 17 and 18 next year and just come out with a chip on our shoulder. Of course health also remains a big factor like it did for those two teams in those respective years.
    Last edited by bootsy; 11-09-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    World series, to nearly swept in the NLCS, to bounced in the wildcard game. The team has trended downwards the last three seasons.
    By this same logic, every championship team since the 2000 Yankees has trended down the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    By this same logic, every championship team since the 2000 Yankees has trended down the following season.
    Even more so, the Cubs have gone from winning 97, to 101, to 92, to 95. I don't think there's realistically a "downward trend" there (not saying you are, supporting you instead). Sure, the season ended on bit of a bummer last year, but we all know the playoffs are crapshoots, and even more so when looking at single game "series" like we played in.

"Bounced in the wildcard game" is very misleading, IMO, on the season on the whole.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Even more so, the Cubs have gone from winning 97, to 101, to 92, to 95. I don't think there's realistically a "downward trend" there (not saying you are, supporting you instead). Sure, the season ended on bit of a bummer last year, but we all know the playoffs are crapshoots, and even more so when looking at single game "series" like we played in.

"Bounced in the wildcard game" is very misleading, IMO, on the season on the whole.
    How many times has this argument had to be made? I realize it's the off-season and what else is there to talk about but man. People just aren't going to see this. Not blaming you or anyone else who has had to make this point, hell I've made it at different occasions. Not entirely sure what I'm getting at here, but I digress.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

The Astros went from winning the WS to nearly getting swept in the ALCS. Downward trend. They are done.

I made the mistake of clicking on a Jim Bowden article. Here’s his Cubs “possible trade targets.”

Possible Trade Targets: Mitch Haniger, Nolan Arenado, Eugenio Suárez, Jed Lowrie, Jean Segura, Marwin González

33% of the trade targets are free agents. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I made the mistake of clicking on a Jim Bowden article. Here’s his Cubs “possible trade targets.”

Possible Trade Targets: Mitch Haniger, Nolan Arenado, Eugenio Suárez, Jed Lowrie, Jean Segura, Marwin González

Lmao

2016 World Series Champions!!!

2018-19 Cubs Offseason Thread

I believe Jim Bowden is the monster that started the Addison Russell for Manny Machado thing and it turned into gospel on here that the Cubs never made the trade when we could have.

Funniest thing is he was a general manager of not one but two teams. I could imagine he got fired for trying to make trades in the winter for actual free agents and having ideas of trades for prospects within his own organisation.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 11-09-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

I wish I could be as bad at my job as Jim Bowden is currently and not only not get fired, but get paid that much.

I wish I could be as bad at my job as Jim Bowden is currently and not only not get fired, but get paid that much.
    A bit unfair to fire Jim Bowden when Donald Trump hasn’t been fired from his job as twitter extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    How many times has this argument had to be made? I realize it's the off-season and what else is there to talk about but man. People just aren't going to see this. Not blaming you or anyone else who has had to make this point, hell I've made it at different occasions. Not entirely sure what I'm getting at here, but I digress.

People just love them some hot-takes. Everything is an extreme. It's more fun to be on one end or the other, when reality is somewhere in between the two.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.