13. Newton - SS
    14. Hernandez - OF
    15. Alaverez - C
    16. Woods-Richarson - RHP
    17. Valdez - OF
    18. Nido - C
    19. Carpio - 2B/SS
    20. Toffey - 3B

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

2019 NY Mets Minor League and Prospect Thread

id remove Carpio. i haven’t seen anything I like in person and his numbers are disappointing. Id replace w Ali Sanchez, c.

Id bump Kelenic and Mauricio a cpl of slots down bc they have only played Rookie ball - even though they are probably the 2 most exciting prospects in the system imo.

Not as high on Santana simply bc some reports seem to have him as high floor, modest ceiling. Have not seen him play myself tho.

I might swap Kilome and Peterson bc Kilome prob ends up in relief and Peterson finished well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 10-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

How is Gimenez lower than the other two? He should be 1

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    The other two have higher ceilings.

Gimenez will be, in my opinion, just an average ball player.

Mauricio has comps of Hanley.

Kelenic reminds me of Conforto but with a chip on his shoulder.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

2019 NY Mets Minor League and Prospect Thread

its just clays opinion thats how - if u think Gimenez should be 1, post your rationale. Rankings matter little bc no one looks at the criteria the same way. for example I will shave a notch or two off of Kalenic and Mauricio simply bc they have only played as high as rookie ball and that I add value when players have success at higher levels - typically the FSL or higher. However I agree both have higher ceilings than Gimenez who has established he can play at AA and against significantly more polished competition.

what is more interesting is the quality of depth when making lists. What are the floors/ceilings for the #10-rated prospects regardless of who is picked for that slot. If the #10 has a ceiling of a backup catcher or a mid reliever on a last place team = meh. But if #10 is a quality player on a 1st division team... the depth is good!

IMO the mist intriguing name #10+ is Newton. Maybe he should be rated as high as Vientos even? Hard to say, but if he is on the backside of 10, the system is very intriguing.

Last edited by Dugmet; 10-01-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Mines is something like this.

1. Alonso - The defense is a huge question mark, but that bat could be Judge like.

2. Gimenez - The comparisons don’t seem great, but I believe he will be one of those players that performs better than his tools. I believe he can be like McNeil is doing now, not great power, but able to hit for average and get some walks too.

3. Kelenic - I am going here in future potential and him staying at CF.

4. Mauricio - Like Kelenic, I am putting him here based on future potential and his likelihood to stay at SS.

5. Dunn - The best pitching prospect the Mets have and closest to the majors.

6. Vientos - I love this kid and I think in a year he may be their best prospect.

7. Szapucki- I am still very high on him and hope he comes back strong after TJ, but I thought he was their best pitching prospect before the injury.

8. Kilome - He pitcher better with the Mets and he has a great arm and is close to the majors.

9. Peterson - I am just not a believer in him and hope he does not top out at the higher levels.

10. Santana - He has become my favorite prospect. IMO he will
    Move fast through the system.

Fangraphs updated top 10

No. 1 Peter Alonso, 1B
    Stats: .285/.395/.579, 31 2B, 3B, 36 HR, 119 RBI
    Analysis: “The swing-and-miss tendencies will impact his ability to hit for average but he’s also still growing as a hitter and has shown the ability to make adjustments. He’s not overly athletic or quick so he may never be better than average at first base but the power should give him the ability to be an impact hitter.”

No. 2 Jarred Kelenic, OF
    Stats: .286/.371/.468, 10 2B, 6 3B, 6 HR, 42 RBI, 15 SB
    Analysis: “I’m not sold on his power potential but he could hit for average, get a healthy number of walks, steal bases and play above-average defence.”

No. 3 Andres Gimenez, SS
    Stats: .281/.347/.409, 29 2B, 5 3B, 6 HR, 46 RBI, 38 SB
    Analysis: “There is more gap-pop than over-the-fence power but he could hit 30 doubles, steal 20+bases and play excellent defence at short in his prime.”

No. 4 David Peterson, LHP
    Stats: 7-10, 3.16 ERA, 1.172 WHIP, 8.1 K/9
    Analysis: “Peterson has mid-rotation potential due to possessing three average-or-better offerings, excellent ground-ball rates (He allowed just two homers all year) and above-average control.”

No. 5 Mark Vientos, 3B
    Stats: .287/.389/.489, 12 2B, 11 HR, 52 RBI, SB
    Analysis: “He showed the ability to hit for both average and power while controlling the strike zone well for his age and taking a healthy number of walks. He has 20+ homer potential and is hitting more balls in the air. He doesn’t have great athleticism in the field but possesses a strong arm for third base.”

No. 6 Ronny Mauricio, SS
    Stats: .273/.304/.410, 16 2B, 3 3B, 3 HR, 35 RBI, 2 SB
    Analysis: “He’s an overly-aggressive hitter but he has the potential to develop into a power-hitting middle infielder with strong defensive potential. He might have the highest ceiling in the system but is also still quite raw at 17.”

No. 7 Justin Dunn, RHP
    Stats: 8-8, 3.59 ERA, 1.330 WHIP, 10.4 K/9
    Analysis: “When his fastball and slider are working in tandem with a consistent arm slot he can overpower. He hasn’t been starting for that long so he deserves some more time to iron out the wrinkles but I think he’s best suited to relief work.”

No. 8 Anthony Kay, LHP
    Stats: 7-11, 4.26 ERA, 1.410 WHIP, 9.0 K/9
    Analysis: “He has a solid fastball-changeup combo but the breaking ball is lacking (and the lost development time hasn’t helped). He’s also not the biggest pitcher so durability may always be a concern.”

No. 9 Thomas Szapucki, LHP
    Stats: DNP – Tommy John surgery.
    Analysis: “He has a mid-90s heater and excellent curveball. There was potential in the changeup, too, before he got hurt. He is a high-risk, high-reward player.”

No. 10 Franklyn Kilome, RHP
    Stats: 4-9, 4.18 ERA, 1.343 WHIP, 8.0 K/9
    Analysis: “Kilome looks like a beast on the mound, standing 6-6 with upper-90s heat. But he’s also not overly athletic and has some effort with his wandering arm slot. Those issues limit the effectiveness of his stuff and he doesn’t consistently dominate.”

Fangraphs top ten or pretty much like mines, just Kay instead of Santana. I also like Dunn more than Peterson and Szapucki as well.

Will Kelenic stick at CF? And by stick I don't mean be capable of playing there, but actually be able to play avg to above avg defense there.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

I'm still high on Peterson. Would like to see more strikeouts, but I love the combination of grounders and good control. He seems like he can pitch to contact pretty well and pound the strikezone. Maybe he just hasn't developed an out pitch yet and if he does, he could blossom.

I know the velo isn't great though.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Overall, it does look like our farm system is getting better.

We have nothing at catcher though. Gotta definitely sign a free agent this year.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 10-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Marmolololololol

They have Sanchez that started to turn the corner offensively, his defense is plus already.

They also signed that kid in the ifa, but yeah they don’t have much at the position.

Mets have 4 in the final MLB Pipeline top 100 prospects.
    55 Andres Gimenez
    58 Peter Alonzo
    62 Jared Kelenic
    89 Justin Dunn

Alvarez C was #15 in MLB Pipelines top IFA. He is the Mets best Catching prospect.
    He might come stateside this up coming spring.

Here is scouting report

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50
    At 5-foot-11 and 220 pounds, Alvarez is a strong prospect with a stocky build and an offense-oriented set of tools. He has a reputation for hitting well in games, which speaks to his emerging hit tool. He also shows power now and the potential for more in the future. Like most young catching prospects, Alvarez is not known for his running ability.

The teenager's bat stands out more than his glovework at the moment, but he has also shown a good arm and solid defensive actions behind the plate. He is expected to improve on his overall defensive game once he signs with a team and receives daily instruction at a club's academy.

Alvarez's body -- and what it could look like in the future as he grows -- is a concern for some skeptical scouts. His bat has fewer critics. Combine Alvarez's hitting ability with the position he plays, and it's easy to see why the teen is one of the most coveted prospects on the market.

Alvarez is from Guatire, Venezuela, and is trained by Javier Mendoza. The Mets are the favorite to sign him.

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast