Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Conquest8089 View Post
    Last offseason Giants should've focused on getting younger & more athletic. Went in opposite direction with Longo/McCutchen acquisitions. Attempting to keep a window opened. Internally Giants are unrealistic about their state of affairs. Don't want a tear down, but many around baseball think it's time to rebuild around a new core.

How do you simultaneously get younger & immediately upgrade the entire roster? It's Bryce Harper. Stiff competition from the Cubs, Phillies. Heard $25M AAV on this thread, which is ludicrously low. A-Rod got $25.2M in like 2002?

I'd offer Harper 10 Yrs $425.0M. Defer $75.0M. Player Opt Outs after 2022 & 2026, or wherever he deems fit beyond 2021. That's how you duct tape together this 'Core'.

Pitching wise keep the development pipeline opened. I'd look to acquire Sonny Gray on the cheap. Yankees will want players not nearing the Rule 5 eligibility. Honestly, I think a package could be built around Camilo Doval or one of the lesser pitching prospects. Hope for a bounce back in a return to a large park.

Seriously consider moving Brandon Belt, if anybody is interested. I'd expedite Joey Bart's development timeline. Push him through the system QUICKLY, if the plan is to avoid that rebuild and compete sooner than later.

Add Bullpen Depth in bounce back candidate on Minor Deals. This is where your analytics Dept. should earn it's keep.

Add Middle Infield Depth. Player that can fill in at all 3 spots ideally. Eduardo Escobar would be my lofty pursuit (not a Short Stop but can play in Outfield). I'd also look at Daniel Decalso (though I'd be focusing on more athleticism). Lesser options Adeiny Hechavarria & Jung Ho Kang.
    I agree, go all in on Harper. He's the only free agent this offseason who has the ability to make an impact now and for our future team.

On the radio this morning on rich eisen they basically said that the speculation within the baseball community, is that Harper and machado will be getting roughly $345 million over a 10 yr contract.

We'll see about 10 years, even hitting FA as young as those guys are 10 years would be guaranteeing 3 or 4 mediocre seasons for superstar money.

The $34.5 million AAV is pretty much a lock thanks to Greinke setting that bar when he signed his deal with DBacks.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got $40 million AAV over a shorter contract, probably with some opt outs.

Might sound crazy but I don't want Harper on the Giants as I can see his contract becoming a major bust. Dude is mad inconsistent and constantly missing time due to injuries. Plus, I don't like him one bit.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

At 40MM AAV I would rather have 2 20MM AAv for shorter term

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Might sound crazy but I don't want Harper on the Giants as I can see his contract becoming a major bust. Dude is mad inconsistent and constantly missing time due to injuries. Plus, I don't like him one bit.
    For as much as I'd love to have a talent like Harper on the team, the money and length of the contract he will demand definitely makes me hesitate. Large contracts seem to be more of a hindrance to teams long-term than being helpful. We already have a bloated payroll. This will obviously push it higher and will limit spending for the next several years until contracts start to expire like Cueto, Samardzija, Melancon, Longoria, Belt, Posey, etc. and then we still have to sign Bumgarner if they so choose. If we sign Harper, there may not be enough to go around to fill the various holes we have. Very complicated situation.

Wow. Usually teams let their employees interview for a promotion. But I understand why the Brewers wouldn't want to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Wow. Usually teams let their employees interview for a promotion. But I understand why the Brewers wouldn't want to let him go.
    Is it like the NFL, if your team is in the playoffs you need team permission in order to talk about the vacancy of GM/HC/OC/DC? After the exit will they be able to talk without permission? I think the Brewers GM did a fantastic job in getting players to make that team better.

Quote Originally Posted by PatelJ1010 View Post
    Is it like the NFL, if your team is in the playoffs you need team permission in order to talk about the vacancy of GM/HC/OC/DC? After the exit will they be able to talk without permission? I think the Brewers GM did a fantastic job in getting players to make that team better.
    I'm not sure, but I was always under the impression that the interviewing team must get permission from the team the individual is currently employed.

Would've loved Stearns. Oh well.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss in 2017

Maybe they want a prospect or some consideration if the Giants sign him

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Maybe they want a prospect or some consideration if the Giants sign him
    We would lose our 2nd pick I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Sfgiants101 View Post
    We would lose our 2nd pick I believe
    Sorry for the lack of context, I meant sign GM David Stearns

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast