Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Apparently, the Giants plan to offer Harper a lucrative short-term deal and don't want to go long-term with him. This is according to Nightengale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Apparently, the Giants plan to offer Harper a lucrative short-term deal and don't want to go long-term with him. This is according to Nightengale.
    Short-term deal, higher AAV, I’m with it. Then Giants can revisit it toward the end of the deal and see where the club is. If there is a solid rebuild completed, they can talk extension. If not, they can thank Harper for filling the seats, carrying the franchise star player burden for awhile, and for his (hopefully) productive seasons while with SF. Win/win

I can't imagine Harper picking Oracle Park to play in as his home on a shorter contract.

I'll be stunned, surprised, and shocked if the Giants sign him.

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

Same.

I'll be pleasantly surprised, not shocked. Def not expecting any acquisitions that big this offseason.

Steve Kerr wants Bryce Harper. It shall happen.

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I can't imagine Harper picking Oracle Park to play in as his home on a shorter contract.
    Well, time is getting short. People get nervous and Jittery. Piece of mind and certainty can go a long way. Having said that, who the heck knows what he'll do. Phillies would be interesting simply because they might be contenders.

Giants sign Stephen Vogt to a minor league deal and Nick Hundley signs a minor league deal with the A's.

I believe in Stephen Vogt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTGrocYlu4

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by WiGi1 View Post
    Well, time is getting short. People get nervous and Jittery. Piece of mind and certainty can go a long way. Having said that, who the heck knows what he'll do. Phillies would be interesting simply because they might be contenders.
    There's still 1.5 months until the actual season starts, I don't think any of the big names are going to scramble to sign a deal to make sure they get Spring Training ABs.

While I was looking to see when Opening Day was I happened on the Phillies MLB page where I was reminded that Jake Arrieta is a Phillie. He signed last March 11th to a 3 year deal which looking back was a sign of things to come and how this offseason would shake out.

KNBR article on Bob Nightengale's time on KNBR today. He thinks it's a two team race between the Giants and Phillies saying the Dodgers and Nationals are out.

A day after dropping a report that the San Francisco Giants are planning on offering Bryce Harper a “lucrative short-term” deal, Bob Nightengale of USA Today hopped on with Gary & Larry to discuss specifics.

“The Giants don’t want to give a 10-year contract,” Nightengale began. “Nobody does, but the Giants certainly don’t want to. You’re not going to saddle a brand new executive in Farhan Zaidi and say ‘here you’ve got a $300 million contract on the books, you can’t do much with it otherwise.’

“What their game plan is is they’ll probably offer a 5-6 year deal at good money. Probably $30 million a year or so, or probably more even, to try to get him. And say, ‘You know what, do you want a short-term contract to come to San Francisco, or do you want a long-term contract and go to Philadelphia.'”

Harper was reportedly offered a 10-year, $300 million deal from the Nationals at the beginning of the offseason that he turned down. According to Nightengale, the Nationals have fallen out of the sweepstakes for Harper. So have the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“They are definitely out of it,” Nightengale said.

“Right now I really do think it’s the Giants and the Phillies. It’s a two-team race here.”

Nightengale also broke down why Harper is enticed by the Giants.

“The big thing I think is proximity. I think the fact that it’s an iconic franchise, you’ve got 40,000 fans a game, always electricity and buzz there. And you can be the face of the franchise, and you can be the modern day Barry Bonds. Bonds meant so much to the Giants back then, and (Harper) wants to be that guy now. So I think a lot of things.

“I think the tradition of the organization and the fact that he’s never won a playoff round, and this franchise won three World Series in five years.”

All things considered, Nightengale believes it’s a coin-flip between the Giants and Phillies when it comes to predicting who gets Harper.

“With the Giants moving in and all the optimism, I do believe it’s a coin flip. I think for the Phillies to get Harper, they’re going to have to grossly outbid the Giants to get him, I really do. I think if it’s close he goes to San Francisco, if there’s a huge gap, it’s tough to walk away from that kind of money.”
    http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/11/bob-n...harper-on-680/

Wow, if this is accurate I'd be pleasantly surprised. Although in the beginning of the offseason I was totally for getting Harper, but now that I see how far this team really is from contention, I wonder if it isn't a smarter investment to go out and get 2-3 players for the same price. Harper wasn't even a top 30 WAR player last year. As much as I'd love to see him here in SF, I'm worried that he'll bump his knee and we'll loose $30-mil+ for a whole year.

He's young enough where it makes sense. Even with him we aren't competing for the playoffs imo, but a team with as much money as SF shouldn't take too long to rebuild. It may take 2 or 3 years but he's still in his prime at that time.

Plus he makes sense for the team as he will ensure excitement and ticket sales during what probably will be a down time. There is literally no excitement or buzz at all for baseball right now. And with the warriors moving in 2019 the giants need to be somewhat relevant moving forward. There is a lot of disposable income here and the seasons only overlap a few months, but they can't be a total boring dumpster fire with the best team in sports moving to the same city.

I'm still not expecting us to sign him, but it makes sense. If it's down to Philly and us hopefully he likes it here more. I mean who would want to play in front of Philly fans for a decade? They suck

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast