Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    He was their GM for the foreseeable future, he chose to leave them, it's not like we're getting castoffs.
    well done.

Complete Zaidi press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9AN4wZFahc

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    Complete Zaidi press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9AN4wZFahc
    What a great interview. Great get. I had no idea he was such a smart baseball guy.

Love the manager makes on field decisions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw article on B/R_
    Marwin Gonzalez? Anyone like him on Giants?
    Versatility

I wouldn't want to see them invest especially heavy in Gonzalez but he's one of the few names in free agency that halfway interests me. I doubt he bounces back to his '17 offensive performance though, so he's basically a versatile utility player with a middling bat.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Versatility is nice. Other than that, meh. But he's only 29 so I wouldn't be upset if we signed him.

Wouldn't be shocked if Zaidi likes him. Dodgers had a lot of guys that could play multiple positions. Marwin is the prototypical versatile player.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss in 2017

The list is short when it comes to free agents that are even worth looking at.

AJ Pollock (31), Matt Adams (30), Michael Brantley (32), Carlos Gonzalez (33) and Marwin Gonzalez (30).

Not the sexiest list of names out there. At this point, I'd rather just have them try and develop the young players they have on this team. I don't think there is 1 player out there that would make them a playoff team. Two or maybe three.....possibly if one of those players is named Harper. They need to take good look at guys like Shaw, Slater, Duggar and Garcia. At worse, they have another subpar year and they get a high draft pick once again to try and add some real talent to their farm system. Would love to get Wallner or Greene.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    The list is short when it comes to free agents that are even worth looking at.

AJ Pollock (31), Matt Adams (30), Michael Brantley (32), Carlos Gonzalez (33) and Marwin Gonzalez (30).

Not the sexiest list of names out there. At this point, I'd rather just have them try and develop the young players they have on this team. I don't think there is 1 player out there that would make them a playoff team. Two or maybe three.....possibly if one of those players is named Harper. They need to take good look at guys like Shaw, Slater, Duggar and Garcia. At worse, they have another subpar year and they get a high draft pick once again to try and add some real talent to their farm system. Would love to get Wallner or Greene.
    ....and basically each one of those guys is injury prone, way past their prime, one dimensional, and/or inconsistent.

should try to sign pollock and Adams and hope for the best..... maybe Daniel Murphy as well.

I say bypass Harper and let our young outfielders play. We might find a gem or two. We really can't expect to really compete in 2019, so we are stuck with Longoria at 3rd, and Crawford at short. Too me 2nd base is open and maybe 1st if they decide to trade Belt and let Posey / Aramis Garcia handle 1st, with Hundley helping at catching. Basically 3 catchers on the roster. Just some ideas.

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

It's the most boring time of the year.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by sf1giantfan View Post
    I say bypass Harper and let our young outfielders play. We might find a gem or two.
    The biggest mistake we've made in the last 2 years is not seeing what the young guys are capable of while the rest of the time is busy ******** the bed. Coming off a 98 loss season and then trading for and signing 2 OFers to try to improve the team was just boneheaded when we had 4 guys lingering in AAA.

Sure, they probably suck and aren't going to be the keys to the future but why not find out before we get rid of them and watch them hit 30 ****ing HRs for the Reds or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfgiants101 View Post
    should try to sign pollock and Adams and hope for the best..... maybe Daniel Murphy as well.
    I wouldn't mind that but signing those two would be the equivalent of them getting Longoria last season. He didn't contribute much and that may have not do with injury more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    The biggest mistake we've made in the last 2 years is not seeing what the young guys are capable of while the rest of the time is busy ******** the bed. Coming off a 98 loss season and then trading for and signing 2 OFers to try to improve the team was just boneheaded when we had 4 guys lingering in AAA.

Sure, they probably suck and aren't going to be the keys to the future but why not find out before we get rid of them and watch them hit 30 ****ing HRs for the Reds or whatever.
    I disagree. Neither of those outfielders cost much and both were coming off pretty good seasons (not to mention our farm is trash). If Bumgarner, Cueto, and Samardzija were all healthy this was a borderline playoff team.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast