Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Joe Mauer

Joe Mauer

The face of the franchise over the lase decade or so may be playing his last game today. He just hit his 27th double, another one to left-center. He ran hard out of the box and it was very close at 2b, but he was obviously in safely. If this is his last game, he has earned another standing ovation from the rest of us.
    As my nephew said it when we saw the Twins play in July, Joe is a mere shell of his former self. His bat-speed is not what it once was, but his eye is still pretty good. He has never been the power hitter that people thought a guy 6'5", 230 should be, but he has been a great one.
    On a personal note, I had a chance to get to know Joe a little bit when he was in the Midwest league. I saw him in a hand-full of games and I found him to be a very approachable guy, willing to talk to people and sign autographs for everyone that wanted one. His autograph is very readable and is one of my favorite ones. He told me that Harmon Killebrew told him to be proud of every autograph he signed and that he was representing not only himself, but the team and the game.
    If this is his last game, he is going out as one of the Twins greats. His number 7 will likely be retired when he no longer wears it. Is he a hall-of-famer? Not sure, but he is going down as one of the good ones.

And now, he comes out for the 9th inning, wearing catching gear. It will be nice to see him behind the plate again. I honestly hope he gets a chance to throw someone out, but I would like to see Matt Belisle throw a shutout inning.

Well, he caught 1 pitch, and it was a ball. Chris Gimenez is now in the game.

He had a chance to go down as one of the best catchers ever but due to injury he really fell off from where he was, Joe is our generations Tony O. What could have been player/career. I think they should both be in the HOF, but that might be the homer in me coming out. How they sent him off was a great way to go, if he does, and I think he is going to retire.