Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    The fact that it has been 3-4 days without an announcement, makes it seem like this kid didn't know what he was talking about.
    yup

Also, Tommy Pham won his arbitration hearing, so he's going to make $4.1M in 2019, and he made $550K in 2018

So 2 years, $4.65M

The Cards offer before 2018 isn't known, but I would speculate that it was for 2 years and $5M

I wonder if Pham came out ahead on that or not.

MLB/Players to go over rule changes. What are your thoughts on some of these?

A three-batter minimum for pitchers

A universal designated hitter

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break

A 20-second pitch clock

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams

A study to lower the mound

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    MLB/Players to go over rule changes. What are your thoughts on some of these?

A three-batter minimum for pitchers no thanks

A universal designated hitter I know i'm in the minority but i would love the DH in the NL

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break If anything, i think there should be 1 trade deadline and it should be set for like August 15th or something. before the all-star break seems too soon

A 20-second pitch clock eh

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum Derrick Goold brought it up in his chat this week and said rosters should be 28 with 3 healthy scratches per game. I like that

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams this seems complicated but i don't hate the idea of it if its done right

A study to lower the mound no

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts sure
    answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    answers
    I would agree with everything you said. But with the draft, I flat out don't understand what they would have in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

I have come along with the THC… Well I don’t love it, it is going to be a thing. Might as well do it now when the Cardinals could benefit from it. The trade line should never ever ever will be before the All-Star break. If anything it should be a little bit later. I think we should encourage more two sport athletes, Brian Jordan and neon Deion sanders were pretty awesome to watch. Expanding rosters and at the same time forcing a picture to go three batters… Seems counterproductive

I bought my tickets for June 21st this morning. Excited to see El Hombre back in town for the first time

Team appears to be comfortable with Martinez out of the pen this year.

I guess I don't care where his 180 innings come from, as long as he throws them.

It's important for people to look at the pitching for a team as 1450 innings by the team.

If you carry a roster with 13 pitchers on it, that is 111.5 innings per pitcher. Now, some guys can give you innings and not be that effective, and maybe throw 160. And some guys are going to be maxed at 60 innings, but might be very effective.

Either way, you just need to complete those 1450 innings with as few runs as possible.

So if over 10 games, our team looks like

Game 1 - Mikolas 6, Hudson 2, Hicks 1
    Game 2 - Flaherty 6, Leone 1, Miller 1, Gregerson 1
    Game 3 - Wainwright 5, Martinez 4
    Game 4 - Wacha 5, Hudson 3, Hicks 1
    Game 5 - Reyes 5, Shreve 1, Leone 2, Miller 1
    Game 6 - Mikolas 6, Martinez 3
    Game 7 - Flaherty 5, Hudson 3, Hicks 1
    Game 8 - Wainwright 5, Leone 1, Gregerson 1, Shreve 1, Miller 1
    Game 9 - Wacha 5, Martinez 4
    Game 10 - Reyes 5, Gant 4

Totals
    Mikolas 12
    Flaherty 11
    Wainwright 10
    Wacha 10
    Reyes 10
    Hudson 8
    Martinez 11
    Gant 4
    Leone 4
    Miller 3
    Hicks 3
    Gregerson 2
    Shreve 2

Over 162 games that is
    Mikolas 194
    Flaherty 178
    Wainwright 162
    Wacha 162
    Reyes 162
    Hudson 130
    Martinez 178
    Gant 65
    Leone 65
    Miller 50
    Hicks 50
    Gregerson 33
    Shreve 33

I'm just spit balling, and of course there would be injuries.

That's probably too much for Reyes and Wainwright, and not enough for Miller, Hicks, and Gant. But you get the idea. Martinez wouldn't have to be a starter to get his innings and effectiveness in.

I'd be shocked if Martinez ends up in the bullpen.... what a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    I'd be shocked if Martinez ends up in the bullpen.... what a waste
    Only reason why you would take out Martinez of the rotation is if Hicks and company just collapse in the back end of the bullpen. Trying to Eckersely him or something. If you take him out of the rotation before the season starts someone like Kuechel better be taking his place.

If the Cardinals at the trade deadline were able to bring in a top starter i.e. Bumgarner etc then I can see them moving him to late inning relief. But, even in that scenario that is sort of a worst case because the back in would have to be bad enough to warrant moving Martinez there.

Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Only reason why you would take out Martinez of the rotation is if Hicks and company just collapse in the back end of the bullpen. Trying to Eckersely him or something. If you take him out of the rotation before the season starts someone like Kuechel better be taking his place.

If the Cardinals at the trade deadline were able to bring in a top starter i.e. Bumgarner etc then I can see them moving him to late inning relief. But, even in that scenario that is sort of a worst case because the back in would have to be bad enough to warrant moving Martinez there.
    Martinez is better than Keuchel and Bumgarner either way.

I mean, Martinez would need to be such a shut down, highly used reliever for it to make sense. Or for there to be a medical reason why think it's better.

I'm a firm believer that your 5 best pitchers should be in the rotation. The idea is to have a team ERA as low as possible and a total runs scored as high as possible. Things work themselves out over the course of 162 games. It makes no sense to move Carlos to a role where he would have 120 fewer IP. He's certainly one of our best 3 arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    I'm a firm believer that your 5 best pitchers should be in the rotation. The idea is to have a team ERA as low as possible and a total runs scored as high as possible. Things work themselves out over the course of 162 games. It makes no sense to move Carlos to a role where he would have 120 fewer IP. He's certainly one of our best 3 arms.
    That's assuming he goes into a role in the pen where he would throw significantly less innings.

If as a starter, he was going to throw 180 innings over 30 games.

Is the team much worse if he throws 130 innings but in 60 games in higher leverage situations?

Martinez wouldn't need to be a one inning guy. He could come in in the 6th in a 4-3 game and attempt to close it out from there, or get it to the 9th for a Hicks or a Miller to close out.

I think that would be the only other way you'd use him. As just a 9th inning, traditional closer though, I fully agree. That's a huge waste.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233