Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Seems like he's a laid back guy and wants to let guys make their own decisions.
    After watching Casey all these years, who is known to be standing and directing for the whole game, it was noticeable.

Kerr likes to sit back as well.

Also the media will have to adjust to Kawhi. He doesn't seem very receptive to non basketball related questions.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    After watching Casey all these years, who is known to be standing and directing for the whole game, it was noticeable.

Kerr likes to sit back as well.

Also the media will have to adjust to Kawhi. He doesn't seem very receptive to non basketball related questions.

I think Kerr does it because of his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Seems like he's a laid back guy and wants to let guys make their own decisions.
    Modeling his style from Phil Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    Wait a minute... Phil had the same issue.... Someone needs to attack nurses back asap!

A lot of coaches with back problems don't really stand all that often. But I think Nurse wasn't that active because he wants them to develop chemistry. At this point, it's hard for him to make any coaching adjustments because he doesn't know if it's a lack of chemistry or if the defence is giving them troubles.

Pascal's ball handling is getting really good. His 3 isn't there yet, but once he nails that down, he's going to be an insane glue guy for us.

Sad about OG's father but I really wanted to see him play. If OG and/or Pascal make the jump this season, I think we have a solid shot at making the finals.
    Last edited by ecart; 10-01-2018 at 05:02 PM.

True. Forgot about that.

“It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Good test for the Raps tonight. Of course we can't expect anything right now to be in mid season form systematically but there seems to be a lot of slippage defensively.

Last edited by aman_13; 10-02-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Not much to like tonight.

Biggest take away was the style of play. Too much north-south action. It felt like I was watching the Raptors prior to the "culture reset" season. To no surprise, it showed in the assist column as they only had 9 team assists the last time I checked in the 4th.

Individually, Siakam needs to slow down. Nurse has given him the green light to push it every time he gets the rebound but you can't be a one trick pony. He has to learn to play at different speeds and keep it simple.

Also his shot still looks broken.

Interesting that Powell got no minutes in the first half. He's still showing signs of that robotic play that got him in trouble last year. I like that he's more cognisant of what he was doing wrong last year but if he keeps looking to pass every time he sees nothing going towards the rim, he will be seeing the bench again.

Val played really well offensively again but once again got exposed on the defensive end in pick and roll situations. Utah really went at him in the first quarter.

Delon Wright is a little out of control going to the rim right now. Part of the blame goes to the offense because it seems like if they don't see anything in their transition offense, they are resorting to the their pick and roll offense which hasn't looked dynamic through two games. Again, too much going to the rim and not enough side to side action.

Also as ecart has been saying, Monroe is abysmal defensively. Don't expect much minutes from his this season. It feels like the Raps lack big man depth.

Not much to like tonight.

Biggest take away was the style of play. Too much north-south action. It felt like I was watching the Raptors prior to the "culture reset" season. To no surprise, it showed in the assist column as they only had 9 team assists the last time I checked in the 4th.

Individually, Siakam needs to slow down. Nurse has given him the green light to push it every time he gets the rebound but you can't be a one trick pony. He has to learn to play at different speeds and keep it simple.

Also his shot still looks broken.

Interesting that Powell got no minutes in the first half. He's still showing signs of that robotic play that got him in trouble last year. I like that he's more cognisant of what he was doing wrong last year but if he keeps looking to pass every time he sees nothing going towards the rim, he will be seeing the bench again.

Val played really well offensively again but once again got exposed on the defensive end in pick and roll situations. Utah really went at him in the first quarter.

Delon Wright is a little out of control going to the rim right now. Part of the blame goes to the offense because it seems like if they don't see anything in their transition offense, they are resorting to the their pick and roll offense which hasn't looked dynamic through two games. Again, too much going to the rim and not enough side to side action.

I think they just lack chemistry right now. It even shows on the defensive end where they're missing easy rotations. It's blatantly obvious when Nurse throws together new lineups. Offensively, a lot of guys are in new roles so they're all over the place and looking for their own shots rather than making the extra pass. So I'm not too worried about ball movement, yet. I think they want Kawhi to force the issue so he can get his reps in early. The problem right now is that everyone keeps trying to prove themselves. FVV wants to prove he's a starter. Wright is in a contract year. Kawhi wants to prove he's still a top 3 player and so forth.

Even though the game was ugly last night, our main guys pretty much outplayed the Utah core. We only lost because Nurse ran D-League line ups in the third, while Utah kept playing their core. The lineup of Lowry, FVV, Miles/Green (forgot who), Kawhi, JV was money. The other experimental lineups Nurse ran were pretty garbage. Speaking of D-League, the guys they picked up are complete garbage. Nurse must have lost a bet or something because Collinsworth was hot garbage. I don't know why they keep hyping up Richardson. Every time I watch him play, he's practically useless. The disparity between practice and game can't be that great.

It's still early but if Green keeps playing like this, he's going to disappoint a lot of fans.

Also as ecart has been saying, Monroe is abysmal defensively. Don't expect much minutes from his this season. It feels like the Raps lack big man depth.

yeah it feels like bizarro world when ppl hype him up. Even offensively, he has been pretty trash considering his competition.
    Last edited by ecart; 10-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.

I didn't get a chance to watch last night unfortunately. Still only 2 pre-season games so hard to read too much into how they are playing as a group. Individually, it is interesting to see where players are at. And yes, I really hope there isn't a plan to give Monroe much time.

I think they just lack chemistry right now. It even shows on the defensive end where they're missing easy rotations. It's blatantly obvious when Nurse throws together new lineups. Offensively, a lot of guys are in new roles so they're all over the place and looking for their own shots rather than making the extra pass. So I'm not too worried about ball movement, yet. I think they want Kawhi to force the issue so he can get his reps in early. The problem right now is that everyone keeps trying to prove themselves. FVV wants to prove he's a starter. Wright is in a contract year. Kawhi wants to prove he's still a top 3 player and so forth.

Even though the game was ugly last night, our main guys pretty much outplayed the Utah core. We only lost because Nurse ran D-League line ups in the third, while Utah kept playing their core. The lineup of Lowry, FVV, Miles/Green (forgot who), Kawhi, JV was money. The other experimental lineups Nurse ran were pretty garbage. Speaking of D-League, the guys they picked up are complete garbage. Nurse must have lost a bet or something because Collinsworth was hot garbage. I don't know why they keep hyping up Richardson. Every time I watch him play, he's practically useless. The disparity between practice and game can't be that great.

It's still early but if Green keeps playing like this, he's going to disappoint a lot of fans.
    Green hasn't looked good so far.

I think it was the bench that got them the lead (against the Utah bench), and then that lineup you mentioned with CJ came back in and shut it down for an extended stretch. Utah did miss some good looks to be fair.

Overall, it was hard to watch. You make good points about their individual mentality but it's a little discouraging when Nurse is telling the media that he's happy with the shot selection and they just have to finish at the rim.

Utah likes to stay home defensively so that is part of the reason why they were iso happy last night but i expected the Raps to be more dynamic offensively. They had no secondary movement to speak of once it was apparent the drive and kick game was not there. It was also that way last year. I hope we see an adjustment because the Raps are not talented enough to play that style of game. It showed against the Cavs.

Sometimes I think they need to make a move for Jimmy. They lack players who can create their own shot. It's really only Kawhi and JV that they can consistently rely on in the half court.

Green hasn't looked good so far.

I think it was the bench that got them the lead (against the Utah bench), and then that lineup you mentioned with CJ came back in and shut it down for an extended stretch. Utah did miss some good looks to be fair.

Overall, it was hard to watch. You make good points about their individual mentality but it's a little discouraging when Nurse is telling the media that he's happy with the shot selection and they just have to finish at the rim.

Utah likes to stay home defensively so that is part of the reason why they were iso happy last night but i expected the Raps to be more dynamic offensively. They had no secondary movement to speak of once it was apparent the drive and kick game was not there. It was also that way last year. I hope we see an adjustment because the Raps are not talented enough to play that style of game. It showed against the Cavs.

I think they're working on being more dynamic right now. I think it was CJ who talked about how Nurse wanted him to be more than just a spot up shooter.

Not gonna lie, the new offence/defence looks pretty complicated. The offence has so much misdirections. It's almost like they pulled it out of a NFL playbook. Apparently they used to have hundreds of plays but Nurse wants to cut it down to 9 so we're not predictable.

Even though we have a bunch of wings, there's a lot of redundancy. OG is basically the glue that holds everything together IMO. CJ stepping in to fill OG's role is far from ideal. In fact, I don't think anyone else on the team can fill his role and be the glue guy (I don't think they have any plans to play Wright as a small 4). Kawhi can, but he's far too important to be a glue guy.
    Last edited by ecart; 10-03-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast