Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Sanchez?

Gary Sanchez?

I really think we should trade him during the winter. I think he will come out of his hitting funk at some point and that is more reason we should unload him. Other teams would love his bat.

Then why trade him? To me it's pretty simple. He is a terrible catcher. He leads the league by far in passed balls and he has not even played half of the season. To me he seriously lacks what you want in a catcher and that is to be a 'take charge' type player. He seems listless, almost lazy at times. Posada and Munson are two catchers who come to mind as field generals.

He also can't call a game. Until the rule change he lived on the pitchers mound last year. Why was that needed? I have never seen any catcher come close to that.

So we have a catcher who cannot catch. Almost as bad as having a pitcher who cannot pitch. Every Yankee fan watching the game takes a deep breath every time a ball is pitched in the dirt. Honestly, we have come to expect he will miss a ball that should be caught.

The Yankees will have enough good bats next year and won't need his just like we have not had his bat this year. I understand he was anointed a future Hall of Famer as a rookie. However, these things often do not work out as much as we hope they do.

I say we move him and get a true starting catcher for 2019.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

He's having a historically bad season. He isn't going to "come out of it" in the offseason. But he's faced troubles before and rebounded. He's going to be a historically great catcher. He's clearly got an issue with passed balls. But he's got a cannon ... and he calls. A great game. Check out the pitchers stats with and without Gary catching....
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    I really think we should trade him during the winter. I think he will come out of his hitting funk at some point and that is more reason we should unload him. Other teams would love his bat.

Then why trade him? To me it's pretty simple. He is a terrible catcher. He leads the league by far in passed balls and he has not even played half of the season. To me he seriously lacks what you want in a catcher and that is to be a 'take charge' type player. He seems listless, almost lazy at times. Posada and Munson are two catchers who come to mind as field generals.

He also can't call a game.
    Until the rule change he lived on the pitchers mound last year. Why was that needed? I have never seen any catcher come close to that.

So we have a catcher who cannot catch. Almost as bad as having a pitcher who cannot pitch. Every Yankee fan watching the game takes a deep breath every time a ball is pitched in the dirt. Honestly, we have come to expect he will miss a ball that should be caught.

The Yankees will have enough good bats next year and won't need his just like we have not had his bat this year. I understand he was anointed a future Hall of Famer as a rookie. However, these things often do not work out as much as we hope they do.

I say we move him and get a true starting catcher for 2019.

trade him while he's at an all time low ? can't call a game ? pretty hard to respect your post after that

I heard the same stuff about a young posada not blocking balls and people wanting girardi to play

check the math we won quite a few games with both posada and gary

a young johnny bench led the league in passed balls and got better

should have kept Jesus Montero
    [IMG][/IMG]

You can't go wrong with Jesus.

i say keep him at catching, in 3 years we move him to DH and allow one of our up and coming catchers take over like anthony seigler who will be the mickey mantle of catching, he will be better than shohei ottani and faster than billy hamilton
    [IMG][/IMG]

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    You can't go wrong with Jesus.
    Chuck loves Jesus

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post

trade him while he's at an all time low ? can't call a game ? pretty hard to respect your post after that

I heard the same stuff about a young posada not blocking balls and people wanting girardi to play

check the math we won quite a few games with both posada and gary
    It's not just his lack of catching skills. He seems like he is mailing it in. Looks lazy to me and I am not the only Yankee fan who thinks that. I mean the left fielder looks just as much involved in the game as he does. Very little emotion. Look at all the really good catchers in baseball. To a man they are very involved motivating their teammates. Even when he strikes out looking on a pitch that clearly looks like it's out of the strike zone...no emotion....just strolls back to the dugout like it's no big deal.

He is overrated but many people just hate to admit it. He is never going to be the player we hoped for. Maybe he will prove me wrong and be a superstar soon and for a long time. I hope he does but I feel strongly it's not going to happen. Just because some fans can never say anything critical about the team does not make them great fans. As much as I hate to say this I think the Yanks better turn it up a big notch real soon or they will be outplayed by Oakland. The A's are pumped up every time they take the field. I think the Yanks are better but they better have their game face on.

Go Yanks!

Aaron Boone: Please do not let Tanaka start against the A's. Please don't do it. Severino is the ace. He attacks the zone and goes after the batters like it means the world to him.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Sanchez through a bullet to second yesterday to catch a runner trying to steal. That and his 2 hit day the game before gives us all hope that his focus / energy is returning.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Moo.

Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    when he strikes out looking on a pitch that clearly looks like it's out of the strike zone...no emotion....just strolls back to the dugout like it's no big deal.
    does that not help his pitcher or does it hurt the nyy pitchers chances of getting the same call

He is overrated but many people just hate to admit it. He is never going to be the player we hoped for. Maybe he will prove me wrong and be a superstar soon and for a long time

is it his fault that he's overrated ? I suppose him doing so great it is part of the problem

gary caused some unreasonable exceptions just because he doesn't turn out

to be that all world catcher doesn't mean he won't be better than most

and a strong asset to the team

as far as the lazy part I really hope you read this

Gary Sanchez may be laid back, Yankees teammates say, but he's certainly not lazy

Aaron Boone: Please do not let Tanaka start against the A's. Please don't do it. Severino is the ace. He attacks the zone and goes after the batters like it means the world to him.
    LOL I disagree with you there but we can save that for another day 7chuck7

a young johnny bench led the league in passed balls and got better

I think Gary's problems stem more from the coaching change than anyone else on the team.. He's missing having Joe Girardi as his manager and Tony Pena in the dugout as well. (well, I expect it's more tony than Joe.. but both were fine catchers in their day)

Right now, Who does he have as a mentor in the dugout? He's too young to not have a skilled mentor..

Still.. You want to trade him.. You also wanted to Trade Judge in the 2016-17 offseason, Sevy too.. and still want to move both Bird and Andujar...

so be real.. Is there ANYONE that you DON'T want to trade (other than maybe Giancarlo?) Nice way to build a team.. send the future star's to other teams... I thought that's how Tampa played the game.. Not the NYYankees...

Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    i say keep him at catching, in 3 years we move him to DH and allow one of our up and coming catchers take over like anthony seigler who will be the mickey mantle of catching, he will be better than shohei ottani and faster than billy hamilton
    This.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

I personally think we should get rid of him, look for a free agent like Yasmani Grandal to replace him. The Yankees have plenty of bats especially with the hopes of getting Harper for the 2019 season.

I rather trade for Realmuto who is begging to get out of the Marlins. But I'm not giving up on Sanchez yet.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast