Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Mitch Trubisky’s Development

For all things Mitch-related. Fears, anxieties, praise, gloating...all that good stuff.

He’s going to be a hot topic for years to come (no, not that kind, blams...).
    2017 Chicago Bears Wide Receiver Corps

I still think his biggest problem is how he handles the rush. He can improve his accuracy with better/more consistent mechanics and familiarity with his receivers, but if he poops himself over and over when he's blitzed then he's Blaine Gabbert.

That's also something Nagy needs to be aware of and work into his game plan. Give him easy hot routes on 3rd and medium situations. He did have a good dump off screen to Gabriel in the 3rd IIRC that kinda negated the rush, and in turn made the Cardinals more hesitant with the blitz, so that's somewhat encouraging.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 09-23-2018 at 11:08 PM.

He really needs to run a more conservative, run heavy offense and slink in some play action, rollouts, etc.

Use Cohen in the backfield a little more and stop trying to use power runs from the shotgun formation.

They can win if he can limit what mitch cant do. Truly run a chiefs/niners alex Smith, or tyrod, or neckbeard type of offense.

The timeline has to have changed. You can win this year with Mitch at the helm - just pick and choose when you want him to sling it.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I'll just put this here as its part of my post in the other thread. With Trubisky I'm not close to giving up on him I just am aware that he has been disappointing so far. He shouldn't be a top 5-10 QB yet, but he should be average. He's bottom 5 right now but it's only 3 games. I just will expect more in the remaining 13. He needs to work on his footwork, pay more attention to blitzes pre snap and recognize his hot reads, he needs to slow down and not rush throws which has caused his misses in the end zone, and finally he needs to not try to do everything perfect. He needs just go out and play. He's at his best making plays with his feet and rolling out. He has dodged a lot of sacks this year that a lot of QBs wouldn't. He's been accurate when out of the pocket because he doesn't over think things. Mitchell just needs to have fun and not put so much pressure on himself. To me he can still be a Tannehill, Russell Wilson type guy which is more than enough for this team to be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    He really needs to run a more conservative, run heavy offense and slink in some play action, rollouts, etc.

Use Cohen in the backfield a little more and stop trying to use power runs from the shotgun formation.

They can win if he can limit what mitch cant do. Truly run a chiefs/niners alex Smith, or tyrod, or neckbeard type of offense.

The timeline has to have changed. You can win this year with Mitch at the helm - just pick and choose when you want him to sling it.
    See I disagree. That is the offense that he was in last year and it didn't help him at all. A conservative offense will not help him grow. He needs to be pushed and see how he responds. Nagy is pushing him to see if he'll grow. He'll either fall on his *** or it'll make him better. Keep giving the kid new challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBear View Post
    See I disagree. That is the offense that he was in last year and it didn't help him at all. A conservative offense will not help him grow. He needs to be pushed and see how he responds. Nagy is pushing him to see if he'll grow. He'll either fall on his *** or it'll make him better. Keep giving the kid new challenges.
    I completely get it. I think I'm just being prisoner of the moment ;disappointed we're wasting a high level roster.

But his development still needs to be a priority.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I’d say put him on the Bortles playbook. Heavy dose of runs and play-action throws with heavy protection. Give him one or two options in the passing game because he’s not reading the defense at all. This is why he’s only doing well on scripted plays. He can’t manipulate the defense at all. One tell-tell sign that he’s bad at reading defenses and going spotting open WRs is that some of them have started to wave their hands like they’re trying to land a plane to let him know they’re open. I’ve seen this multiple times with Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
    I’d say put him on the Bortles playbook. Heavy dose of runs and play-action throws with heavy protection. Give him one or two options in the passing game because he’s not reading the defense at all. This is why he’s only doing well on scripted plays. He can’t manipulate the defense at all. One tell-tell sign that he’s bad at reading defenses and going spotting open WRs is that some of them have started to wave their hands like they’re trying to land a plane to let him know they’re open. I’ve seen this multiple times with Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again no. That is what he did last year. He needs to be stimulated and throw more at him so he can grow. If you never try anything new you can't grow. If he's ever gonna be anything he needs to be let loose to make mistakes and learn from them. Handicapping does nothing but stunt growth. A lot of the players and Nagy say he doesn't make the same mistake twice and I tend to agree. He seems to correct issues but he over focuses on those and misses other things. The happy feet has improved and he got mildly better against the blitz as the Cards game went on. His biggest problems right now are being too tight and being too late or rushing things leading to inaccurate throws and bad decisions and the redzone. He's been abysmal passing in the redzone aside from the throw to Miller. The TD was the play to Burton which isn't really a throw. Lastly, the deep ball. He needs to get much better throwing further than 10 yards downfield. His short accuracy has been good as well as his throwing on the run. There has been some good and some bad but he needs to improve his mechanics, decision making, red zone, and accuracy over 10 yards.

I'm not sure what to think of Mitch yet.

I wish his developement was farther along, but what can you do.

I think the kid has talent, but this will take some time.

I know DG said I was overreacting last week when I said this but I honestly believe just handing the ball off to Howard and Cohen is the only way we can win. We need to do exactly what Lovie did in 05 with Orton when all he did was hand the ball off to Thomas Jones.

This guy can't throw an accurate pass over 15 yards, he definitely can't throw an over the shoulder in the end zone. Do I think he can develop? Sure. But I don't trust him at all throwing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBear View Post
    Again no. That is what he did last year. He needs to be stimulated and throw more at him so he can grow. If you never try anything new you can't grow. If he's ever gonna be anything he needs to be let loose to make mistakes and learn from them. Handicapping does nothing but stunt growth. A lot of the players and Nagy say he doesn't make the same mistake twice and I tend to agree. He seems to correct issues but he over focuses on those and misses other things. The happy feet has improved and he got mildly better against the blitz as the Cards game went on. His biggest problems right now are being too tight and being too late or rushing things leading to inaccurate throws and bad decisions and the redzone. He's been abysmal passing in the redzone aside from the throw to Miller. The TD was the play to Burton which isn't really a throw. Lastly, the deep ball. He needs to get much better throwing further than 10 yards downfield. His short accuracy has been good as well as his throwing on the run. There has been some good and some bad but he needs to improve his mechanics, decision making, red zone, and accuracy over 10 yards.
    I wouldn't push him when he can't even make a simple open throw a backup qb in the league can make. His fundamentals are god awful right now.

The “development” talk is what scares me and in my mind is kind of overblown. I get he is young and inexperienced, many QB’s in this league are. Over time does he “develop” and get better at staying in the pocket, not panicking, reading the defense and making the correct play? In those areas I get the raw talk and do think over time he can develop. Those things don’t worry me as much.

What Trubisky does not lack experience in is throwing a football. If he is standing there open and someone is 25 yards away wide open he should make that throw easy, he has been throwing a football his entire friggin life. The air mailing throw after throw, the underthrowing receivers who are open, the throws that sail 5 yards out of bounds on a sideline route, those are the things that concern me because the raw excuse doesn’t hold water to how inaccurate he has been. There are just too many plays he has ample time and wide open receivers and he doesn’t even come close on what should be a simple throw. This is what worries me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    This guy can't throw an accurate pass over 15 yards,
    I get that you're concerned, but this statement is not accurate at all.

He had a pretty pass to AR yesterday that was over 15 yards.

I don't think turning him into a Bortles type of passer will do him any good. It may drag out his development even longer. I think we need to know if he's the guy or not by the end of this season, and neutering him probably won't give us that answer.

The only thing I'd like to see Nagy do more of is get Trubisky on the move with bootlegs and play action. Maybe incorporate a few quick slants into the mix over the screens (that typically get only a few yards). You have to keep taking shots downfield with him though or else teams will just stack the box and we'll never move the ball. The good thing I've seen from Trubisky is that he's making the right reads more often than not, but the downside is he's just missing a lot (seems like most) of those throws. I hate for it to sound as simple as he just needs to hit the open guy, but that's kinda what the problem is right now. He does seem like he has trouble reading a defense, but Nagy's done a fine job scheming guys open for him...just has to hit em in stride. If he can ever do this consistently then I think it'd at least give him more confidence. He looks completely deflated on the sidelines after most drives because I'm sure he's aware of how poorly he's playing.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 09-24-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast