Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Henrik Zetterberg's career ended by back injury; Hall of Famer?

At 37, Zetterberg has nothing left to prove after a long, productive career with the Red Wings. No need to put his back through rehab and more pain at this point.

I know he just retired, but some are already discussing this in the media so I'm asking the question- is he a Hall of Famer in your book?

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed on Friday what many had feared: 's career is over.

The 37-year-old Swede will not attempt to return from the back condition that was expected to sideline him for the beginning of the season.

A native of Njurunda, Zetterberg was another of Holland's famed finds deep in the NHL Entry Draft, taken with the 210th overall pick in 1999.

Read More: https://www.tsn.ca/holland-zetterber...ckey-1.1172929

He is to me, but the bias here is obvious.

He, Lidstrom, and Dats all leaving within a 6 year span sucks. Granted we all know that an athlete's time in the spotlight is finite but still it sucks to see the guys you grew up watching all leave one-after-the other. Especially in Pavs and Henrik's cases where injuries and their bodies breaking down sapped some of their skills away even if they still were solid. So they don't even really get to go out on their on top/own terms, more so Henrik in this case. I can say I was blessed to watch him play for so long though and give the city so much.

Great career. It was already strange but even more so now that Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Franzen are all gone from the Wings.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Please donít group Franzen with those other 3

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    His contract suggests he was part of that core. I know what you mean though.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    3 straight PPG+ post seasons in the years we went to back to back Cups (8 game winning goals in those 2 playoffs) before his brain was almost falling out of his ears. Dude was a special type of offensive talent, just about 2-3 too many ****** hits by **** players.

That's the C word.

Franzen is spending his days at a special treatment center that specializes in soldiers with PTSD because his concussions have left him a shell of the man he once was.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 09-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Again there is bias, but no question. Looking at his entire career he has excelled and won at the NHL, international and Olympic level. Been a core and back bone player. Maybe not a first ballot, but he is in there. No question his playoff performances as well will play into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    3 straight PPG+ post seasons in the years we went to back to back Cups (8 game winning goals in those 2 playoffs) before his brain was almost falling out of his ears. Dude was a special type of offensive talent, just about 2-3 too many ****** hits by **** players.

That's the C word.

Franzen is spending his days at a special treatment center that specializes in soldiers with PTSD because his concussions have left him a shell of the man he once was.
    I am aware of what he did and thatís too bad his career ended the way it did but he is not even remotely close to the level of those other 3.